.45ACP for $12.98/case

As I read through this thread I was wondering both if anyone would bring up the moral (or legal) question of “livinwatertown’s” action as well as what response that moral question might bring.

Is there anyone else, besides “FiveseveN”, who sees paying $26 for $260 worth of ammo as wrong?

Not I.

He certainly did not steal the merchandise; he brought it to the counter, in sealed cases, with absolutely no attempt to conceal, alter or otherwise tamper with the contents, the quantity of the contents or the price.

He made 2 attempts to bring the cashier's error to her attention and was soundly rebuffed each time.

I'd say he made a full-faith effort to pay the price posted at the counter; was charged a different price; questioned that price; and duly paid the price he was quoted by the employee responsible for collecting payment.

Taking advantage of the careless, uninformed or overworked is one thing - and that thing is wrong.

Paying an obnoxious twit what she insists is the correct price after you've informed her it isn't is something totally different. And it is neither immoral nor illegal.

Paying an obnoxious twit what she insists is the correct price after you've informed her it isn't is something totally different. And it is neither immoral nor illegal.

Unfortunately it is not the obnoxious twit that you are hurting by not paying the full amount, it is hurting the store. Which will than be passed on to us the next shoppers that will be hurt by having to pay more.

As you all no big buisness will never pay for anything it will allways be passed on to us the end buyer.

I do not fell what he did is wrong.

Hiring idiots??

No they don't do that. They hire overwhelmed, underpaid, underappreciated men and women of all ages who put up with idiots (YOU, THE CUSTOMER!) every single day. They are bombarded with stupid questions and unreasonable requests all day long. Half you a**h***s who come in to buy ammo are f***ing ugly and overweight and have totally distasteful personalities.

then you have the unreasonable requests from management, coupled with the insane tasks required to keep a store properly price tagged, merchandised etc.

You act like a bunch of tough guys because you hope your the only one with a gun. [rofl]

Next time you walk into Dick's to buy some ammo, treat the employees with a little f***ing respect and maybe you'll get some good service.

even cops go in there and don't know what the f*** they are talking about. they need someone to explain the difference between a rifled and smoothbore shotgun barrel. and we trust these people with a badge and a gun... [shocked]

seen an LTC-A holder come in there and not know what ammunition he had in his carry gun WHILE CARRYING. i had to have him eject his mag and let me inspect the cartridges.

but that ugly and overweight comment really is the meat and potatoes of this discussion, please look at yourself in the mirror, and think about it.

and when you feel like getting mouthy and tough with your salesman, don't think for a second that the salesman wouldn't put you in your place in a heartbeat if he didn't need the job to pay the bills.

Shane, how many times are we gonna have to tell you to go away? [troll]

Seriously...Get a f***ing life.

I had the opposite experience happen recently. Buying a case of shotgun ammo, cashier rings up $3.95 x 10 = Case Price...okay next item...Case of 90 Clay Pigeons for trap shooting, cashier rings up $5.95 x 90 = $535.50. It took 15 minutes to convince him they don't sell clay pigeons "individually" and the case price is $5.95. Someone mentioned earlier that these geniuses need their jobs or they'd go off on us customers, he is correct that they need THESE jobs...obviously they would find it pretty difficult to hold onto any other job!!

Don't get me going on how many times they've asked for my FID card when buying handgun ammo!

If you need the job so badly then try to do it right.

I've worked in retail all my life. Even now I work a couple nights/weekends, in addition to my full time job. I work there because it's fun, and it puts a couple extra bucks in my pocket that I don't feel guilty spending on guns & ammo.

That being said, the worst part about working in retail is the people I have to work with who have made retail their career and are miserable for it. When you work retail, you HAVE to be happy. It's the most basic requirement of the job. Even if you feel like shit and are pissed at the world, you have to put on the smiling face and eat shit from people all day long. And if you can't handle that, you need to find a new job.

In the case of my airhead cashier, it's not about making mistakes, it's about ATTITUDE. It's not a big deal to make a mistake. People make mistakes all the time, and especially in a retail environment, it's very easy to screw up. However, If she'd shut up and let me correct her, instead of giving me attitude, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I dunno

I dunno how I feel about it. On one hand, he *tried* to pay for it, but couldn't, so the hell with it, he got a great deal. On the other hand, who is he hurting, the poor cashier, who is going to be short *a lot* on her till that night. I worked as a cashier, trust me, they look at that stuff, and she's going to get in trouble. Then, if not her, you are hurting the store. Stuff like this may make them decide selling ammo is not profitable, and not worth doing. Then we have one less place to buy ammo in this stinking state.

I worry about things like this, so I try to do the right thing. I mean, of course, I have a price. If someone drops $10 in front of me, I return it. Even a $100 I return it. You drop $10k in front of me, I may not return that, I have my limits where my conscience can be bought. But I'll agonize over it and beat myself up later. Basically, I try to do the right thing, and money is worth less and less to me as I get older.

I once spent like $100+ at Four Seasons using my credit card. Their machine was down or someone was on phone, so they couldn't call it in or whatever. So they printed a receipt and everything, and said they'd do it later. Two weeks later, I didn't see it on my online statement, so I went back and told them they had forgotten to charge me. They gave me a weird look but used my receipt to ring it up again, and I felt good about it because we need to help out the places that sell guns and ammo. Plus I don't want the owner, the cashier, or the company to take the hit. And I am willing to pay for my products. Yes, saving money is great, but I think its the type of item that effects me. If it were a GAP or something, I might just make a run for the door, figuring it doesn't matter, they won't stop selling clothes in MA, but with ammo and firearms, I am more worried. Most likely though I'd still tell the cashier that they were making a mistake. I guess the price at which I sell out has gone up drastically, saving a hundred bucks at the cost of my conscience and feeling sleazy about it is not worth it to me anymore.

On the other hand, who is he hurting, the poor cashier, who is going to be short *a lot* on her till that night. I worked as a cashier, trust me, they look at that stuff, and she's going to get in trouble.

Though I don't know how Dick's operates, I've worked retail enough to know that she may very well NOT get in trouble.

She absolutely WON'T be short in her till...She only rang up 2 boxes, and got paid for 2 boxes. What WILL be short is the inventory. How often is an inventory of ammo done?...That, I don't know. If it's done every night...They MAY figure it out. If not, they may never know what happened.

Though I don't know how Dick's operates, I've worked retail enough to know that she may very well NOT get in trouble.

She absolutely WON'T be short in her till...She only rang up 2 boxes, and got paid for 2 boxes. What WILL be short is the inventory. How often is an inventory of ammo done?...That, I don't know. If it's done every night...They MAY figure it out. If not, they may never know what happened.

Yeah, the guy behind the ammo counter might get in trouble instead of the cashier.

Yeah, the guy behind the ammo counter might get in trouble instead of the cashier.

Yup. With inventories all computerized someone is going to "have some 'splainin' to do". You'd have to think that they keep a real close eye on firearms and ammo.

Yup. With inventories all computerized someone is going to "have some 'splainin' to do". You'd have to think that they keep a real close eye on firearms and ammo.

and that's why employees need to be properly trained. Working in an environment that sells restricted items and not knowing what an LTC/ FID card is just BEGS for more serious issues down the road.

There is only so far that a reasonable person can go to try to help out someone in a situation such as presented. 3 strikes, you're out. I'll point out your mistake, I'll make a suggestion a second time, I'll make sure that YOU ARE SURE you're right, then it's done.

No reason to suggest that someone's stealing- the price charges was paid. Period. I hold myself to pretty dang high moral standards, and see nothing wrong with this transaction, aside from the crappy way the customer (who tried several times in good faith to correct an error while taking "hostile fire") was treated. Maybe the clerk will get in trouble, maybe not. The tapes will tell that it wasn't the guy at the firearms counter. I'd be more concerned, however, that this error would go un-noticed or passed off as an accounting/ receiving error.

To quote Mr. Twigg, "When you pay and are gruffly rebuffed when attempting to make things right, it's time to smile pick up your bags and head for the door."

Hey, it was tried to make the error known. Too bad for them they don't have high-enough quality employees in all the positions to keep things right for them.

Good deal, and no need to harbor guilty feelings. You tried.

and that's why employees need to be properly trained. Working in an environment that sells restricted items and not knowing what an LTC/ FID card is just BEGS for more serious issues down the road.

This is something I've noticed across the board at Dick's - their employees are very poorly trained. I shop at two different Dick's a lot, mostly for ammunition and firearms related products. However, in my experiences in their firearms department and throughout the store, I've NEVER met what I would consider a knowledgeable salesperson.

For instance, this last trip the guy behind the ammo counter was confused when I asked if a certain ammo (bulk packs of .45ACP that was on a big display sale) was lead or jacketed. I had to pull out a box of lead and a box of jacketed, open them, and explain what I was talking about. Another guy didn't know what a Ruger 10/22 was - the most common .22LR rifle in the world, and he'd never heard of it. I'm not saying that a guy behind a Dick's counter needs to know everything, the way I'd expect a small gun shop owner to, but these are basic questions about the products they sell.

I'll admit that we have this problem in my retail store as well - in general, retail corporations aren't willing to spend the payroll to properly train their employees. They'll teach them what the rules are, how to cashier, how to pick up the phone, but no training about the products and services they offer. It's really a shame.

Not I.

He certainly did not steal the merchandise; he brought it to the counter, in sealed cases, with absolutely no attempt to conceal, alter or otherwise tamper with the contents, the quantity of the contents or the price.

He made 2 attempts to bring the cashier's error to her attention and was soundly rebuffed each time.

I'd say he made a full-faith effort to pay the price posted at the counter; was charged a different price; questioned that price; and duly paid the price he was quoted by the employee responsible for collecting payment.

Taking advantage of the careless, uninformed or overworked is one thing - and that thing is wrong.

---Scriviner
A fair opinion with an interesting insight added, thank you Keith.

Respectfully,

jkelly

You need to leave the customer service industry NOW. You're clearly not cut out for it.

Simple and to the point. If it was him that owned or managed that Dick's- you'd never see me shop there! Wow.. and who's calling who an idiot?

According to the OP- he tried to do the right thing (more than once) and was basically treated like an idiot. He paid for and walked out of the store with the goods that the clerk appropriately charged him for.

I had almost the same thing happen to me

At Academy Sports in Austin TX back in 1999. They had a Beretta Urika 391 shotgun advertised for $799 and I went in to look at it. I decided to buy it and when it came time to pay it rang up $499. I told the clerk that couldn't be right and to please double check it. He did and told me the price of $499. I again protested and asked for a manager. The manager came over, checked the computer and proclaimed the price to be $499 and walked away.

I never felt guilty about it at all. For all I know, that really was the price

I think what we're experiencing these days is the Big Box Store Syndrome. We all want low cost items and we're paying the price for it. Gone or soon to be gone are the days of going to a gun shop, hardware store etc and actually getting service. The old store owner made sure that his employees knew what they were selling because the he was putting the bread on his own table, not the share holders.
I bought a new pistol. I paid much more than I could have online but I opted for the local guy. He's there when I need him, he knows me and I know him and he'll do his best to make me happy.
And yes, I have shopped and will again shop at the big boxes.

I think what we're experiencing these days is the Big Box Store Syndrome. We all want low cost items and we're paying the price for it. Gone or soon to be gone are the days of going to a gun shop, hardware store etc and actually getting service. The old store owner made sure that his employees knew what they were selling because the he was putting the bread on his own table, not the share holders.

Bingo!! I laugh when people rip WalMarts and other big shops. If consumers actually cared and demanded service they wouldn't flourish.

hey try getting service at the Northbridge MA Walmart takes like 15 mins to get someone with the keys to open the ammo case. one time a new kid ask me what i wanted, got it and handed it to me and said you need to go to electronics to checkout i havnt been trained on register yet. not once did he ask for my Fid of course i was buying some .40 SW but i have given up telling them that you need a LTC. I informed him that it would be a good idea to see if i had a permit next time before he gave me the ammo and started to walk away.

hes reply was that why, i would have to show it at the checkout anyway. dont think it ever occured to him that some one can just walk out with it saying i was already checkout.

This is something I've noticed across the board at Dick's - their employees are very poorly trained. I shop at two different Dick's a lot, mostly for ammunition and firearms related products. However, in my experiences in their firearms department and throughout the store, I've NEVER met what I would consider a knowledgeable salesperson.

Along those lines. I shop at multiple locations, but one Dick's more than the others in my area. Every time I go in to buy ammo, I talk to the guy behind the counter, sometimes he knows what I'm talking about, usually not. He usually says something like:
"Ah you want some 9 m-m- Lugger?"
"Yeah, 9mm Luger sounds great, thanks."
So he pulls out whatever I asked for and asks to see my "gun license" not an LTC, not an FID, a gun license. Ok fine. Show him my LTC-A and usually I'm convinced that he actually read the information. Great! I take my '9 m-m Lugger' and head down to the register to pay. When I get there, it's always some pimply faced punk who thinks he's a tough guy when he says
"Do you have a license for this?"
"Yes, I just showed it to the guy upstairs... but here you go"
It's here that said punk snatches the ID, kinda flexes it in his hand, looks at the back and hands it back to me within 3 seconds. Fine. I let it happen like this once, twice, but on the third trip, and the third different punk, he handed it back with an attitude and I looked him dead in the eye, cracked a slight smile and said to him in a kind manner:
"When does my license expire?"
"Uhh... I don't know."
"Don't you think that's a rather important detail? I'll take my receipt in the bag, please."

I don't know what it is about this location... If it wasn't on my way to work every day I'd try other places, but it's just too convenient; and really quite comical at this point.

However, in my experiences in their firearms department and throughout the store, I've NEVER met what I would consider a knowledgeable salesperson.---livinlawatertown
Stop by the N. Attleboro store, C-pher is pretty sharp!

Respectfully,

jkelly

hey try getting service at the Northbridge MA Walmart takes like 15 mins to get someone with the keys to open the ammo case. one time a new kid ask me what i wanted, got it and handed it to me and said you need to go to electronics to checkout i havnt been trained on register yet. not once did he ask for my Fid of course i was buying some .40 SW but i have given up telling them that you need a LTC. I informed him that it would be a good idea to see if i had a permit next time before he gave me the ammo and started to walk away.

hes reply was that why, i would have to show it at the checkout anyway. dont think it ever occured to him that some one can just walk out with it saying i was already checkout.

That sound like the reason most stores are doing way with firearm related merchandise. If theycan't train employees to keep restricted merchandise from those who are not authorized to purchase it, they should not be selling it. The last Dick's I went in only had long gun ammo and 9mm on the shelf.

Also, FWIW;

Before I worked at a certain gun shop, I picked up 10 boxes of .223 in which I was only charged for half. I was at the range when I realized what had happened. I called the owner of the shop and explained what happened. The next week I showed up with the receipt and paid for the other 5 boxes.

For instance, this last trip the guy behind the ammo counter was confused when I asked if a certain ammo (bulk packs of .45ACP that was on a big display sale) was lead or jacketed. I had to pull out a box of lead and a box of jacketed, open them, and explain what I was talking about. Another guy didn't know what a Ruger 10/22 was - the most common .22LR rifle in the world, and he'd never heard of it. I'm not saying that a guy behind a Dick's counter needs to know everything, the way I'd expect a small gun shop owner to, but these are basic questions about the products they sell.

I'll admit that we have this problem in my retail store as well - in general, retail corporations aren't willing to spend the payroll to properly train their employees. They'll teach them what the rules are, how to cashier, how to pick up the phone, but no training about the products and services they offer. It's really a shame.

I'm going to defend this one...

As I part time at dicks, as someone said, "for run." I do it because it's a couple of extra bucks in my pocket, and lets me do something other than what I do here...

Anyway, us folks in the lodge know different thing. There's two of us that are gun guys. Another one knows his bows, and a couple more are experts in fishing.

Come in and ask me whats a good plug for catching walleyed striped flounder bass... Or whatever these people ask for... I don't know. I can talk about guns, and can talk some about fishing. Don't know anything about bows... I can talk all day about Kayaks and camping.

Each of us know what we know. That's why they hire a mix... They also can't afford to have all of us working at the same thing. That's a lot in salary...

So, when you think that just because you're going in there for a gun, and the guy working that night might just be able to blow your mind about fishing...don't think that he's not trained. Just think that it might not be his thing...

I could tell you what a Rapala is....your Ruger guy might know what a Ruger is.. Just because you know what the 10/22 is, doesn't mean that he will.

I can't tell you what the LR4 floating whatever you call it...but I can show you where any brand of lures are... But if you come in and ask me for a specific type of lure from a brand, I might look at you like you have two heads. Just because it might be the most popular, doesn't mean that I'm going to know it...

There's a lot of model numbers when it comes to firearms. And just because the guy who might know fishing, doesn't know a 10/22 from a 77/22...or a CZ 452 Ultra Lux...doesn't mean that he's a bonified idiot.

Again, a lot of the people in our lodge are older guys, that do this for fun. And the fishing guys do it because it's what they know and like. And they might not really care enough to know every model of rifle that's up there. Just that it's a .22.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest...

FiveseveN, there really is only one remedy for stupidity. The cashier obviously (to me) falls into that category. Anyone who moans and complains about how awful their, or someone else’s job is, should also remember that we all have choices.

FiveseveN, there really is only one remedy for stupidity. The cashier obviously (to me) falls into that category. Anyone who moans and complains about how awful their, or someone else’s job is, should also remember that we all have choices.

Agreed. This is just fun for me, once working there becomes no longer fun, it's time to move on.

[rofl][laugh2][rofl]

J/K Bud, Your the berries

Yea, thanks...

twofinger.gif

And I'll add that I've spent a fair amount of time in retail. It wasn't the most enjoyable job I've ever had, but no one had a gun to my head and forced me to keep working there. (With appologies to all who really DO have a gun to their heads. But doesn't that inhibit cusomers?)

Back
Top Bottom