.500 S&W Double-tap - some language NSFW

Supermoto, your shooting skill speaks for itself, but I'm curious about the teaching you've done. What has been your experience taking people from first shots toward your level of skill?

My experience with new shooters is fairly limited, as most of the people that I help already know how to shoot but are looking to get into action shooting, usually with a host of bad habits But for the new shooters I do see. after proper grip and stance, I only emphasize sight alignment and calling shots. I don't care how they press the trigger unless it effects the alignment. I don't talk about a surprise break as it introduce anxiety when shooting nor trigger reset as it takes focus away from the sight focus. I don't get into recoil control as then the shooter starts to fight the gun to show they can control recoil. I tell them that the gun is going to recoil, and the more they fight it the slower the sights will return. I ask a lot of "where did your shot go, why did it go there?" "what did you see as the shot broke" with this the shooter quickly understands how they influence the POA/POI.

I find the less you give the new shooter to think about the better. keep the sights on target until the shot breaks. thats is all there is to shooting, to get faster you just remove all the wasted time and motion

Super - explain to me about trigger freeze - I never had that problem until I decided while practicing that I should try to 'prep' the trigger and focus more on follow through. And it did nothing for my accuracy. Result was doubling and trigger freeze and a few lights taken out at the club. Is this something that doesn't work in the game we play?

Donna

I don't get into recoil control as then the shooter starts to fight the gun to show they can control recoil. I tell them that the gun is going to recoil, and the more they fight it the slower the sights will return.

I don't IDPA/IPSC but this is why I took exception to the idea you need a strong grip. You need a grip strong enough to keep the gun from popping out and then some, but no more. The harder you grip, the less fluid the motion. When I actually do shoot for "score" it's usually on the Harvard Sub gun range where I play tunes on the steel silhouettes. Different areas of the plates have different pitches. Head shots higher, center mass lower but tonal. Edge of center mass has a deader flat tone, etc. Different plates, different sounds. String them together, they make music. I bop between left right and the the two center left/rights. In order to transition between them fast enough to string the notes together, you need a lot of flexibility in your upper body. I have found that too hard a grip and you lose that ability to transition. YMMV, I am not classically trained... [grin]

Super - explain to me about trigger freeze - I never had that problem until I decided while practicing that I should try to 'prep' the trigger and focus more on follow through. And it did nothing for my accuracy. Result was doubling and trigger freeze and a few lights taken out at the club. Is this something that doesn't work in the game we play?

Donna

Donna, trigger freeze is caused by tension. tension is caused by trying, instead of just doing. Trying to move your finger faster, trying to control recoil better, trying to ride the sear. All cause tension in your entire hand and arm, eventually so much tension is created that you can not relax you trigger finger to reset.

I run into the same tension issues with tension. except I slap the trigger and when I am trying to go fast all I feel is my finger about to seize up. The faster I try to go, the slower I will go.

let your sights dictate the speed you shoot, not your finger

Donna, trigger freeze is caused by tension. tension is caused by trying, instead of just doing. Trying to move your finger faster, trying to control recoil better, trying to ride the sear. All cause tension in your entire hand and arm, eventually so much tension is created that you can not relax you trigger finger to reset.

I run into the same tension issues with tension. except I slap the trigger and when I am trying to go fast all I feel is my finger about to seize up. The faster I try to go, the slower I will go.

let your sights dictate the speed you shoot, not your finger

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. Trigger pull should be a muscle memory, a subconcious thing dictated by what your eyes are seeing, yes? I was focusing so hard on a perfect 'squeeze', my finger just froze. Then bounced. Plenty of dry fire should make my finger 'do what it needs to do'.

Back
Top Bottom