513T US PROPERTY

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so maybe I got your attention

Anyone happen to have a spare front sling swivel mounting screw?

Im pretty sure most of the 5xx series will work?
Any other parts are also wanted

The 'ARMORY BRIGHT' one just fell of my lathe... not perfect but works. Looks like the threading tool needs to be touched up. I cut 44tpi threads...close to 0.6mm which I believe the original has.
Made from 1566 steel but not hardened.
1639935919243.jpeg
Seventh person to respond who goes by mac1911 and recently inquired about this screw gets it!

The 'ARMORY BRIGHT' one just fell of my lathe... not perfect but works. Looks like the threading tool needs to be touched up. I cut 44tpi threads...close to 0.6mm which I believe the original has.
Made from 1566 steel but not hardened.
View attachment 553882
Seventh person to respond who goes by mac1911 and recently inquired about this screw gets it!
Nice , im in , do you think it will hold up to sling tension ?
Can I commission you to make one just loke it but for a sling swivel bi pod style mount.

I did a little baking today. They came out around 50HRC maximum according to my interpretation of my test files.
View attachment 557055
Really gorgeous work! I just obtained a near-perfect 1952 dated 513T with a customized adjustable-comb walnut stock and immaculate barrel (both blueing and bore), well-maintained Redfield sights, etc. Even a perfect-condition front swivel base securely set into the stock. The only thing it's missing are the swivels, fore and aft. I can obtain the swivels online, but that front swivel base screw is the sticking point: no one has any to sell (or give away). The two screws that you feature here would be perfect -- the one on the left if I obtain an original front swivel, and the one on the right if I decide to go with a more modern swivel, such as one from Uncle Mike's. How much would you want for the set? I can be reached here, of course, or at [email protected]. Thanks!

Really gorgeous work! I just obtained a near-perfect 1952 dated 513T with a customized adjustable-comb walnut stock and immaculate barrel (both blueing and bore), well-maintained Redfield sights, etc. Even a perfect-condition front swivel base securely set into the stock. The only thing it's missing are the swivels, fore and aft. I can obtain the swivels online, but that front swivel base screw is the sticking point: no one has any to sell (or give away). The two screws that you feature here would be perfect -- the one on the left if I obtain an original front swivel, and the one on the right if I decide to go with a more modern swivel, such as one from Uncle Mike's. How much would you want for the set? I can be reached here, of course, or at [email protected]. Thanks!
I'm not interested in producing them, sorry. I'd suggest, especially since you have a non original stock, that you install a section of Picatinny rail onto the base.

Seems to be the problem for everyone

I'm not interested in producing them, sorry. I'd suggest, especially since you have a non original stock, that you install a section of Picatinny rail onto the base.
Well, like I mentioned, my 513T has the original front swivel base already installed. Could you tell me the precise dimensions of the screw portion on the front swivel base screw: diameter of the screw (is it a common gauge, such as a #10, or is it in mm?), the number of threads per inch, and the optimal length of the screw portion to fit the swivel base securely? With that info, I can start to shop around for alternative options, knowing that it will properly fit. Also, if you happen to know these specs for the threaded part of the rear swivel (the portion that screws into the wood) that would also be of immense help. Thanks!

Seems to be the problem for everyone
True. With 140,000 513T's produced by Remington, I'm guessing that a lot of them are still in operating condition. And with some shooters choosing not to use a sling (especially with bench shooting becoming so popular), a lot of the swivels were removed and either lost or forgotten. So there is definitely an unfulfilled market for 513T owners who prefer to use slings but, like us, don't have rifles with the swivels still attached. Apparently Remington opted to use a very uncommon screw size for its swivels... not sure why.

Well, like I mentioned, my 513T has the original front swivel base already installed. Could you tell me the precise dimensions of the screw portion on the front swivel base screw: diameter of the screw (is it a common gauge, such as a #10, or is it in mm?), the number of threads per inch, and the optimal length of the screw portion to fit the swivel base securely? With that info, I can start to shop around for alternative options, knowing that it will properly fit. Also, if you happen to know these specs for the threaded part of the rear swivel (the portion that screws into the wood) that would also be of immense help. Thanks!
The rear swivel is easy... Rear Swivel | Gun Parts Corp.

The front base... Front Swivel Base | Gun Parts Corp. could be drilled/tapped to whatever size you like. I would go this route (or make a new plate) and attach Picatinny rail for greater mounting options.

The thread of the original swivel screw appears to be 5mm 0.6 pitch. I haven't been able to find that pitch size but that's what my gauges indicate. 44 tpi is very close so I single point threaded for a snug thread engagement. The threaded length is 0.250", the thickness of the base plate.

True. With 140,000 513T's produced by Remington, I'm guessing that a lot of them are still in operating condition. And with some shooters choosing not to use a sling (especially with bench shooting becoming so popular), a lot of the swivels were removed and either lost or forgotten. So there is definitely an unfulfilled market for 513T owners who prefer to use slings but, like us, don't have rifles with the swivels still attached. Apparently Remington opted to use a very uncommon screw size for its swivels... not sure why.
That design went a long time… all the 5xx series rifles and im pretty sure the 40x has the same pitch on forward rail. Crazy a rifle line used for so long that theres not a surplus of the mounting screws.
O well. I been eyeballing a stock that I might install adjustable comb and recoil plate , might.

The rear swivel is easy... Rear Swivel | Gun Parts Corp.

The front base... Front Swivel Base | Gun Parts Corp. could be drilled/tapped to whatever size you like. I would go this route (or make a new plate) and attach Picatinny rail for greater mounting options.

The thread of the original swivel screw appears to be 5mm 0.6 pitch. I haven't been able to find that pitch size but that's what my gauges indicate. 44 tpi is very close so I single point threaded for a snug thread engagement. The threaded length is 0.250", the thickness of the base plate.
Thanks so much, Sweeney! This info should go a long way to finding workable alternatives, if I still can't locate an original set in good condition. In the interim, on a lark I decided to winnow through my rather extensive collection of bolts that I've kept from various projects over the years, just to see if I could find one that matched (or closely matched) the plate's 7 screw holes. I wasn't expecting any success -- but lo and behold, I found one that did! And it doesn't just "kinda" screw in: it appears to be a perfect match! I'm attaching a photo of it, with a penny included for sizing comparison. Now, if only I knew what the diameter/pitch/tpi was to verify your findings. The source of this bolt is long lost to me...

Attachments

• Bolt that fits the 513T Sling Swivel Base screw holes_1600 x 900.png
    Bolt that fits the 513T Sling Swivel Base screw holes_1600 x 900.png
    604.2 KB · Views: 12
That design went a long time… all the 5xx series rifles and im pretty sure the 40x has the same pitch on forward rail. Crazy a rifle line used for so long that theres not a surplus of the mounting screws.
O well. I been eyeballing a stock that I might install adjustable comb and recoil plate , might.
I'll try to post a couple of pics of my recent acquisition tomorrow -- partly to show it off, but also to give you some idea of how the engineer who did the work (unknown) approached it.

Thanks so much, Sweeney! This info should go a long way to finding workable alternatives, if I still can't locate an original set in good condition. In the interim, on a lark I decided to winnow through my rather extensive collection of bolts that I've kept from various projects over the years, just to see if I could find one that matched (or closely matched) the plate's 7 screw holes. I wasn't expecting any success -- but lo and behold, I found one that did! And it doesn't just "kinda" screw in: it appears to be a perfect match! I'm attaching a photo of it, with a penny included for sizing comparison. Now, if only I knew what the diameter/pitch/tpi was to verify your findings. The source of this bolt is long lost to me...
Okay - I measured the bolt that I discovered fit snugly and fully into my 513T front sling swivel base, and I owe anyone who has been reading my postings an apology: it turns out that it's just a standard #10 32 tpi bolt! The thread measures exactly 3/16" in diameter with 32 turns to the inch. What this must mean is that the gunsmith who retooled my 513T made his own customized swivel base plate (the machining on it is very clean) for the customized stock, which has the exact dimensions of the original 513T stock. I'm guessing that he must have done this to allow more options in mounting either a different swivel set, hand rest, bipod mount or other item to the forestock. This standard size makes it much easier for me to customize my 513T, but I'm afraid that doesn't do any original-stock 513T owners any good.

Again, my apologies. I should have tried finding a matching bolt before I posted.

Last edited:
Okay - I measured the bolt that I discovered fit snugly and fully into my 513T front sling swivel base, and I owe anyone who has been reading my postings an apology: it turns out that it's just a standard #10 32 tpi bolt! The thread measures exactly 3/16" in diameter with 32 turns to the inch. What this must mean is that the gunsmith who retooled my 513T must have made his own customized swivel base plate (the machining on it is extraordinarily exact) for the customized stock, which has the exact dimensions of the original 513T stock. I'm guessing that he must have done this to allow more options in mounting either a different swivel set, hand rest, bipod mount or other item to the forestock. This standard size makes it much easier for me to customize my 513T, but I'm afraid that doesn't do any original-stock 513T owners any good.

Again, my apologies. I should have tried finding a matching bolt before I posted.
Im sure as time went on “common” threads and replacements where used.

Okay - I measured the bolt that I discovered fit snugly and fully into my 513T front sling swivel base, and I owe anyone who has been reading my postings an apology: it turns out that it's just a standard #10 32 tpi bolt! The thread measures exactly 3/16" in diameter with 32 turns to the inch. What this must mean is that the gunsmith who retooled my 513T must have made his own customized swivel base plate (the machining on it is extraordinarily exact) for the customized stock, which has the exact dimensions of the original 513T stock. I'm guessing that he must have done this to allow more options in mounting either a different swivel set, hand rest, bipod mount or other item to the forestock. This standard size makes it much easier for me to customize my 513T, but I'm afraid that doesn't do any original-stock 513T owners any good.

Well, that makes the threaded section easier. A pan head screw with a spacer may do the trick unless you want a custom made screw similar to the original.

Heres the 513t with a mueller scope at the time. The muller is “ok” for the price point.
My next scoped fun will be with the Sightron 8x32x54 SIII moa2 ret View attachment 558393
The original redfield sights are currently sitting on the ugh 10/22 build
View attachment 558394
Nice! The only 22lr I've ever shot using a scope is an Anschutz 1441/42 that I purchased with an old Nikko (pre-Nikko/Stirling) 6x40 scope. The scope was perfectly maintained by the previous owner(s) and the rifle zero-sights and shoots precisely!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom