556 Hornady Tap 75g

Does anyone know where the hell I can find Hornady Tap 556 75 grain hollow point boat tail? I've checked everywhere even at the gun show in this weekend in Marlborough and the o e place online is sold out too.

Does anyone know where the hell I can find Hornady Tap 556 75 grain hollow point boat tail? I've checked everywhere even at the gun show in this weekend in Marlborough and the o e place online is sold out too.

Last I knew 5.56 NATO TAP wasn't in general distribution, so you might have a hard time finding it. The common .223 stuff was never that hard to find.

-Mike

5.56 is a bitch to find. A few years ago, I was lucky to find a guy off of ARFCOM who lived the town over from my workplace who had a shit ton to sell.

A few places who ship to MA sell .223 55 and 75.

Any particular reason you don't want the .223 version? The higher velocity (assuming you're using a long barrel to even get it) isn't going to increase the leathality much. TAP is decently consistent with expansion and far more damaging than a standard FMJ NATO round.

The only reason for increased velocity on military M193/M855 ammo is it's required to make the bullet yaw and breakup on impact.

Another great expansion round is Barnes TSX or TTSX.

Sweet Jesus. On Midway it's $1.12/rd for 223 75gr TAP.

For that price range it makes way more sense to buy the Barnes TSX 70gr @ $1.10/rd.

If you want to save money the 55gr TSX is probably better due to larger expansion than the TAP and it's $0.80/rd.

Sweet Jesus. On Midway it's $1.12/rd for 223 75gr TAP.

For that price range it makes way more sense to buy the Barnes TSX 70gr @ $1.10/rd.

If you want to save money the 55gr TSX is probably better due to larger expansion than the TAP and it's $0.80/rd.

At those prices it's better to reload ,no

Definitely, if you do reload. You can find boxes of the 55-70gr TSX for around $24 if you poke around. It's never going to be "cheap", but you can reload them for $0.60/rd and get them running tight in your gun.

I advocate the TSX because they performed the best in my .308 Savage 10FP. I'm a decent shooter, but no expert long range guy by any means. I posted a 10 shot 3.5" group at 300 yards with them which is pretty amazing, at least for me.

Im still a,little lost on the "tap" ammo ?
A heavy varmint bullet would do just as well ,no?

It's just one type of many. I agree in general any varmint bullet is going to do significant damage, but they tend to be very light weight. This limits how accurate they are long range and increases the drop rate significantly due to velocity loss.

I'd rather shoot 62-77gr bullets if possible at soft targets, long distance. That said I actually stick with Hornady 55gr FMJ for 99% of my shooting. Decent barrier penetration and low cost.

If I was going to stockpile long range, more lethal ammo for a .223 gun that fit in a magazine, I'd stick with the Barnes TSX in 62gr or 70gr. Fine for deer or hog hunting assuming you're a reasonable shot and not a retard.

If you want straight up accuracy for strictly target shooting it's hard to beat the tried and true Sierra 77gr BTHP.

It's just one type of many. I agree in general any varmint bullet is going to do significant damage, but they tend to be very light weight. This limits how accurate they are long range and increases the drop rate significantly due to velocity loss.

I'd rather shoot 62-77gr bullets if possible at soft targets, long distance. That said I actually stick with Hornady 55gr FMJ for 99% of my shooting. Decent barrier penetration and low cost.

If I was going to stockpile long range, more lethal ammo for a .223 gun that fit in a magazine, I'd stick with the Barnes TSX in 62gr or 70gr. Fine for deer or hog hunting assuming you're a reasonable shot and not a retard.

If you want straight up accuracy for strictly target shooting it's hard to beat the tried and true Sierra 77gr BTHP.

All your options can be had for less than the tap T2 ammo for sure.
What ever happened to the TAP and Match steel cased stuff that was supposed to be the next best inexpensive thing?

I never tried the T2 stuff and have no idea if it actually is accurate at distance.

Varmint rounds make big wounds but insufficient penetration to be reliable.

Was the hornady T2 bullet a steel core?
How does one increase penetration other than mass and velocity....
I notice all hornady offers currently is their tap fap ammo. ?

Varmint rounds make big wounds but insufficient penetration to be reliable.

Was the hornady T2 bullet a steel core?
How does one increase penetration other than mass and velocity....
I notice all hornady offers currently is their tap tap ammo. ?
While back it was all about the "barrier" ammo hornady was pushing with solid copper bullets to penetrate ....... reading the description of tap T2 sounds like the 77grain open tip design....

I also noticed something recently.
Been seeing H.I.T.S. # score?

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to identify lethal self defense 223 loads for 1:7 twist out to 100 yards.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread to identify lethal self defense 223 loads for 1:7 twist out to 100 yards.

Everything can be lethal, that's kind of a vague statement. XM193 will "work". Will TAP 75 gr work better at a dollar a shot? (or whatever it sells for now) probably.. but it's going to cost you.

-Mike

Barnes makes TTSX in .223 if you want an expanding round.

As Dr said, you gotta hit what your aiming at and any rifle round will do the job.

Federal Fusion Rifle or Fusion MSR 62gr wouldn't be a bad choice. Not too expensive. Bonded jacket/core spire point ammo designed for hunting. Pretty good stuff.

Federal Power-Shok has a 64gr jacketed soft point load.

Winchester Super-X has a 64gr lead-free load. Hornady (GMX) and others also make all-copper or copper/zinc alloy bullets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom