556 Pistol in MA

I don't even know where to start with how much is wrong with these 2 posts... makes my head hurt. Do the folks reading here a favor, and read a whole lot more about NFA and related laws, before posting more stupid crap.

--EasyD

The serial number will remain though and that serial number is for a pistol as far as the ATF is concerned.

To say it a different way, even a bare AR lower with a pistol serial number is illegal in MA once built out.

I'm not sure one way or the other on that. However, what does MA consider it at that point? It still has a serial number that was originally for a pistol.

What the feds consider it is somewhat moot.

I don't even know where to start with how much is wrong with these 2 posts... makes my head hurt. Do the folks reading here a favor, and read a whole lot more about NFA and related laws, before posting more stupid crap.

--EasyD

Well hey, thanks for your help and useful info![rolleyes]

The serial number will remain though and that serial number is for a pistol as far as the ATF is concerned.

He could use a new serial number if he wanted to. No requirement to use the original when making an NFA item from an existing firearm. Also, ATF doesn't care if it was ever a pistol, or a rifle, or a block of scrap iron. You pay your tax, you get to make your SBR.

To say it a different way, even a bare AR lower with a pistol serial number is illegal in MA once built out.

What the hell is a "pistol serial number"? An AR lower is an AR lower. It isn't a rifle or pistol. MA doesn't even consider an AR lower a firearm... If you built an AR lower into a pistol in MA, and it was AWB compliant, no problem...

I would agree IF one builds it out as a pistol then yes, it would be illegal, but if he is building it out as an SBR that would not be the case.

If he disassembles it (to comply with MA Law) and once approved build it into a MA AW ban compliant SBR, it is then in the feds eye's an SBR, not a pistol. The fact that the "host" was formerly a pistol is moot. No different than buying an "MP5K-PDW" SBR built on an an SP89 "host" the host being a non-ma compliant pistol, the SBR being legal, because its not a pistol anymore.

I'm not sure one way or the other on that. However, what does MA consider it at that point? It still has a serial number that was originally for a pistol.

What the feds consider it is somewhat moot.

In MA, it would be a "firearm". It's not a rifle, as it doesn't have a barrel over 16", not a machine gun, not a covert weapon, not a "sawed-off shotgun"... Again, your issue with the serial number is wrong, even in MA. What the Feds consider it is sort of more important then anything else, as making a SBR out of a pistol isn't illegal under MA law, only Federal...

--EasyD

Last edited:

--EasyD

Glad to see I'm not the only one...[crying]

Just to jump back to this for a second:
That's the general interpretation if he does not have another AR, or AR lower around.
But still; in MA, I wouldn't try keeping a short barrel sitting around without a tax stamp for any reason.

We ARE NOT talking about an AR, we are talking about a SIG 556 Pistol, so unless he also has a SIG 556 rifle, there is no need to worry about possible constructive possession issues any more than you would if you had an extra glock barrel laying around...

Last edited:
Glad to see I'm not the only one...[crying]

Just to jump back to this for a second:
We ARE NOT talking about an AR, we are talking about a SIG 556 Pistol, so unless he also has a SIG 556 rifle, there is no need to worry about possible constructive possession issues any more than you would if you had an extra glock barrel laying around...

You're right. I wasn't thinking the lowers were different, but they are.

Back
Top Bottom