5th circuit court of appeals accepts appeal of bumpstock ban en banc (update ban struck down, post 26)

I was speaking more of the arguments against automatic weapons, if you believe those, cops have no business carrying M4s.
I know :D

But there is little reason for squad level suppression fire to be utilized by law enforcement in all but the once in a career situations that most never see, especially outside a SWAT situation.

I was speaking more of the arguments against automatic weapons, if you believe those, cops have no business carrying M4s.
The only real legitimate reason I can see for a fully automatic firearm would be a tie breaker at the end of a competition. Everyone fires from the 10 yard line, smallest grouping takes the prize.

Outside of that, it's fun if you can afford it. I want them back because it's a move in the right direction as far as 2A goes, not because I think they are 'useful' in any capacity outside of Texas hog hunting.

The only real legitimate reason I can see for a fully automatic firearm would be a tie breaker at the end of a competition. Everyone fires from the 10 yard line, smallest grouping takes the prize.

Outside of that, it's fun if you can afford it. I want them back because it's a move in the right direction as far as 2A goes, not because I think they are 'useful' in any capacity outside of Texas hog hunting.

There are some guns like an MP5 I’d like available but also when we inevitably have to depose this government by force, suppressive fire will be useful.

Doesn't the Miller case from the '30's say that firearms need to have a military purpose or reason?

Ditto.

The 1939 US v. Miller case was such a mess that it allowed both sides to claim victory. The 2008 DC v. Heller decision protected an individual right to RKBA "unconnected with service in a militia..."

Last edited:
Doesn't the Miller case from the '30's say that firearms need to have a military purpose or reason?

Ditto.

The 1938 US v. Miller case was such a mess that it allowed both sides to claim victory. The 2008 DC v. Heller decision protected an individual right to RKBA "unconnected with service in a militia..."

Miller itself doesn't require guns to have a military purpose in order to be considered protected, only that such guns would be protected for their use in the "common defense." That doesn't mean it's the ONLY possible condition for protection, as the Heller decision pointed out.

I guess I read these wrong somehow:

"Or the government lawyer in US. v Miller argued that short-barreled shotguns aren’t commonly used in military."

"From Heller:
"Miller stands only for the proposition that the Second Amendment right, whatever its nature, extends only to certain types of weapons."
"We may as well consider at this point (for we will have to consider eventually) what types of weapons Miller permits. Read in isolation, Miller’s phrase “part of ordinary military equipment” could mean that only those weapons useful in warfare are protected. That would be a startling reading of the opinion, since it would mean that the National Firearms Act’s restrictions on machineguns (not challenged in Miller) might be unconstitutional, machineguns being useful in warfare in 1939.""

I guess I read these wrong somehow:

"Or the government lawyer in US. v Miller argued that short-barreled shotguns aren’t commonly used in military."

"From Heller:
"Miller stands only for the proposition that the Second Amendment right, whatever its nature, extends only to certain types of weapons."
"We may as well consider at this point (for we will have to consider eventually) what types of weapons Miller permits. Read in isolation, Miller’s phrase “part of ordinary military equipment” could mean that only those weapons useful in warfare are protected. That would be a startling reading of the opinion, since it would mean that the National Firearms Act’s restrictions on machineguns (not challenged in Miller) might be unconstitutional, machineguns being useful in warfare in 1939.""
I've called that out previously
Heller clarified this as the 2nd protects those arms that are commonly used for lawful puposes.
At the time of the NFA machineguns were commonly used for nefarious purposes with no information on their commonality among lawful owners.
Now we have reliable estimates of arms in circulation and can clearly show that they are vastly more common for lawful purposes.

it is a miracle, all the bump stocks that were lost in tragic boating accidents have washed up on shore

All Bump Stocks Lost In Boating Accidents Back In 2017 Miraculously Wash Up On Shore

In one of the most remarkable miracles in human history, the thousands of bump stocks that went missing seven years ago in boating accidents all simultaneously washed ashore and have been reunited with their owners.

"Wow, my bump stock washed ashore! And just a day after the Supreme Court ruling overturning the ban!" said local man Omar Gonzales. "What's even crazier, my neighbor Bill also lost his in a boating accident in 2017, and his bump stock also washed ashore this morning. It's a miracle!"

Across the nation, tens of thousands of Americans reported similar shocking experiences. "It's the darndest thing," said local man John Robinson. "Every single one of my buddies at the gun club said their bump stock washed ashore today, still in great condition. What kind of natural phenomenon does that? It's almost as weird as when everyone I knew lost their bump stocks in boating accidents back in 2017. What an amazing coincidence."

At publishing time, experts had warned that Biden's attempt to ban AR-15s could lead to another horrific epidemic of boating accidents.

Looks like Alito said in concurrence that congress can change the law so bump stocks can be banned………
Like everything the SCOTUS has done lately. Mifepristone is OK, but left open for further suits/laws against it. Bumpstocks are OK, but leave the possibility open of rewriting the law. SCOTUS is just dodging everything lately, and avoiding really making a solid decision.
By "we" I guess you are referring to blue states. I see no reason to believe that red states will try to enact local versions of bump stock, pistol brace, or "engaged in the business" laws. Of course MA, NY, NJ, CT, and others will do just that.
Except that they already have. Florida did a bump stock ban (and 3 day waiting period w/o Carry Permit) after Parkland. In NH, bumpstocks are almost pointless anyway. All of the club ranges already prohibit rapid and fully-auto fire as it is. Maybe useful at an indoor range that allows FA, but other than that.... (Ironically, the one range near us in western NH that allowed full-auto/rapid fire was over the border in VT, which has its own bump stock ban so even that is out now.)

Two samples don't prove anything. NH is purple and heading blue ever so quickly. VT is well on it's way to being blue and I won't be surprised if they implement some sort of permit process over the next few years.

The majority of red states will change nothing.

The entire point of Cargill was that Congress, not the BATFE creates the laws. Which was Alito's point.

Like everything the SCOTUS has done lately. Mifepristone is OK, but left open for further suits/laws against it. Bumpstocks are OK, but leave the possibility open of rewriting the law. SCOTUS is just dodging everything lately, and avoiding really making a solid decision.

Except that they already have. Florida did a bump stock ban (and 3 day waiting period w/o Carry Permit) after Parkland. In NH, bumpstocks are almost pointless anyway. All of the club ranges already prohibit rapid and fully-auto fire as it is. Maybe useful at an indoor range that allows FA, but other than that.... (Ironically, the one range near us in western NH that allowed full-auto/rapid fire was over the border in VT, which has its own bump stock ban so even that is out now.)

Two samples don't prove anything. NH is purple and heading blue ever so quickly. VT is well on it's way to being blue and I won't be surprised if they implement some sort of permit process over the next few years.

The majority of red states will change nothing.

The entire point of Cargill was that Congress, not the BATFE creates the laws. Which was Alito's point.
The problem therein is what I was talking about: SCOTUS has given Congress near free reign to decide what people are allowed to possess. Congress could pass a permanent AWB tomorrow and SCOTUS will sit on their hands because it was passed by the branch of gov't that decides who sits on the bench, how many sit on it, and if they desire can impeach them.

Basically, SCOTUS is rubber stamping any law Congress makes no matter how much it violates the 2nd Amendment.

There is going to be pushback, and we will lose something as a result of this - even though we probably gained much more with the downfall of the BATFE functioning as a legislative body. I wonder if those people who disgorged themselves of spings to their Atkins Accellerator's can re-install that part.

Look at the some of the outfall from Bruen -
  • MANY people in upstate NY had unrestricted carry permits. I had one when I lived in that state. As a result of Bruen motivated action, they are now nearly useless for carry with the "advance permission to enter" requirement for permit holders carrying into homes and businesses.
  • Those who had hens teeth (unrestricted NYC carry permits) prior to Bruen suddenly found them highly neutered as a result of anti-Bruen emergency legislation.
    • The same thing happened to a much lesser extent when MIchigan went from "may issue" to "shall issue" decades before Bruen.
  • Whatever HR4420 morphed into in MA will probably be enacted, and will almost certainly expand the current list of state prohibited places - most likely to town owned and operated government buildings. 4420 would never have seen the light of day but for the need to "do something about Bruen".
  • There will almost certainly be federal legislation introduced to ban bump stocks. Besides "will it get past Republicans?", there is also the issue of what other restrictions on commoners gets to tag along with a bump stock ban.
I'm not claiming the win was a loss; just observing that there will be retaliation and we might lost something in return for the gain. The other shoe has yet to drop.
And those temper tantrums have resulted in multiple cases that are working their way through the courts
So where does this leave us with regard to rare breed triggers?

Asking for a friend
Read the opinion and make your own determination.

My thought is that yes, it does cover FRTs since it speaks to the specific technical functions of the trigger.

However, the self reseting action of an FRT is a distinction from a regular bumpstock (akin to a slam fire shotgun)

Anyone see this stupidity where the governor of NY, after the bump stock ruling, incorrectly said that the Buffalo shooter had use an bump stock? It was a tweet on X. They had to backpetal and then deleted the tweet. She seems to want to use anything even if it's not true to further the agenda.
Link to article
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) – Around an hour after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned a ban on bump stocks, New York Gov. Kathy Hochul wrongly said a gunman who carried out a racist massacre in Buffalo had used the gun accessory that can allow semiautomatic rifles to shoot as fast as a machine gun.

Hochul, a Democrat, made the error first in a statement emailed to media and posted on a state website Friday, then later in post on X that has since been deleted.

She incorrectly said that the white supremacist who killed 10 Black people at a supermarket in Buffalo in 2022 used a bump stock. In the shooting, the gunman modified a legally purchased semiautomatic rifle so he could use illegal high-capacity ammunition magazines, but he did not use a bump stock to make the weapon fire at a faster rate.

“Exactly one month ago, we marked the anniversary of the deadly Buffalo massacre – the horrific day when a hate-fueled gunman murdered ten of our neighbors, using a bump stock to transform his firearm into an even deadlier weapon," Hochul's emailed statement read. She added that the Supreme Court decision was “a sad day for the families who have lost loved ones in mass shootings."

Her now-deleted post on X said "a man using a bump stock killed 10 of our neighbors in Buffalo.”

Asked by The Associated Press about the error, a spokesperson for the governor, Maggie Halley, emailed a statement saying Hochul "was intending to generally call out dangerous, illegal modifications of weapons that have no civilian purpose and are intended to inflict mass casualties, such as bump stocks and modifications of a magazine."

The Supreme Court struck down a federal ban on bump stocks put in place after the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, when a man in Las Vegas attacked a music festival with rifles equipped with bump stocks, firing more than 1,000 rounds into the crowd in 11 minutes. Fifty-eight people were killed and more than 800 were injured in the 2017 shooting.

The high court, in a 6-3 vote, said the Justice Department was wrong to conclude that bump stocks transformed semiautomatic rifles into illegal machine guns. The devices use a firearm's recoil energy to bump the trigger against the shooter's finger rapidly, mimicking automatic fire.

After the mass shooting in Buffalo, Hochul and New York lawmakers approved a slate of new laws around firearms, including policies to ban the sale of semiautomatic rifles to people under the age of 21 and restrict the sale of bulletproof vests.

In her statement about the Supreme Court decision, Hochul said state leaders were “doing everything we can to end the scourge of gun violence.”

"We’ve expanded our Red Flag Laws and banned teens from purchasing AR-15 rifles, and will continue to enforce the 2020 law banning bump stocks in New York. Public safety is my top priority – and I’m committed to doing everything in my power to keep New Yorkers safe," she said

Sooooo.... a Democratzi?

Anyone see this stupidity where the governor of NY, after the bump stock ruling, incorrectly said that the Buffalo shooter had use an bump stock? It was a tweet on X. They had to backpetal and then deleted the tweet. She seems to want to use anything even if it's not true to further the agenda.
Link to article

You really don't understand what's going on. Alito was poking a stick into the eyes of lazy and cowardly politicians who were afraid of the consequences of passing a law to ban bump stocks. Even President Trump acted like a politician in this instance.

They turfed this down to the ATF to make them do the dirty work. As with Charlie Baker, they let other people be the bad guys and could claim that they couldn't do anything.

Alito knows full well that Congress won't pass a bump stock ban, especially this close to an election for President, all of Congress, and 1/3 of the Senate.

SCOTUS is rubber stamping nothing, you're reading a lot into his statement that simply says that lazy politicians can't just let bureaucrats do the job of Congress.

I wonder what this means for the "Cheveron" doctrine moving forward.

The problem therein is what I was talking about: SCOTUS has given Congress near free reign to decide what people are allowed to possess. Congress could pass a permanent AWB tomorrow and SCOTUS will sit on their hands because it was passed by the branch of gov't that decides who sits on the bench, how many sit on it, and if they desire can impeach them.

Basically, SCOTUS is rubber stamping any law Congress makes no matter how much it violates the 2nd Amendment.

the definition of machine gun means that you need a green card to possess a bump stock.

The language in chap 110 of the acts of 2017 that appears to be nowhere incorporated in MGL is that no person shall purchase, sell or offer for sale a bump stock (or trigger crank).

The actual possession in MA appears to be lawful as long as you have a machine gun license. As to how you acquire one, that would be an exercise left to the reader.

And if one did purchase, sell or offer for sale a bump stock, what would the potential penalty be? Given where it resides and has no context to provide a penalty, does the statement in Chap 110 of the acts of 2017 have any practical impact?

Last edited:
And those temper tantrums have resulted in multiple cases that are working their way through the courts
Read the opinion and make your own determination.

Even thought we are funding both sides of the fight, and each fight takes years I will say that it is great…………..while we have a conservative Supreme Court.

The reality is these absurd laws that are clearly unconstitutional will continue to be written, and we will continue to have to fight them, until there is some sort of penalty, or other consequence, to the politicians who generate these laws. How we can accomplish this is beyond me.

Look at Hawaiis’ response to the Bruen decision. Basically they told the Supreme Court to GFYS…..So now what???? Short of sending in the national guard, not happening, or a revolt what is the remedy?

Even thought we are funding both sides of the fight, and each fight takes years I will say that it is great…………..while we have a conservative Supreme Court.

The reality is these absurd laws that are clearly unconstitutional will continue to be written, and we will continue to have to fight them, until there is some sort of penalty, or other consequence, to the politicians who generate these laws. How we can accomplish this is beyond me.

Look at Hawaiis’ response to the Bruen decision. Basically they told the Supreme Court to GFYS…..So now what???? Short of sending in the national guard, not happening, or a revolt what is the remedy?
1000008875.png

But the Mass definition of bumpstock doesn't cover a forced reset trigger

''Bump stock'', any device for a weapon that increases the rate of fire achievable with such weapon by using energy from the recoil of the weapon to generate a reciprocating action that facilitates repeated activation of the trigger.

FRTs do not use recoil to generate the reciprocating action

If that was true then there would be zero reason for a separate concurrence.
He was making the point that he would uphold the NFA and a bumpstock ban.
And given Roberts proclivity to screw us on things like this, they would have a majority with Alito, Roberts and the harpies.
Armed Attorneys - looks like they are interpreting Alito’s concurrence the same way that I did.

View: https://youtu.be/gGM9Qc8iFpA?feature=shared

But the Mass definition of bumpstock doesn't cover a forced reset trigger

FRTs do not use recoil to generate the reciprocating action

If the new bill currently behind the curtain gets passed, I believe the latest iteration would ban forced reset triggers and binary triggers.

But… not a law yet

Back
Top Bottom