600 yard bug...

I just shot my K31 at 600 yds at Nashua. This was my first time ever shooting beyond 200 yds, (honest). I put 16 rounds downrange, basically just to see if I could get on paper without embarrassing myself. (This was prone, off sandbags, with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X Mildot scope.) Using a .308 Win chart to estimate how many clicks I needed to get up from the 100 yard zero I had, I got lucky. My first shot was a 7, perfect elevation, off at 3 o'clock. Five clicks left and my second shot was a 10. It took me a few shots of wierd inconsistent hits to realize my scope bases were loose (I never torqued them because I thought I might need to adjust eye-relief... duh). After a few more shots (and re-tuning) I ended with 3-10's and an X. I was no doubt grinning like an idiot. Can't wait until Thursday morning when I can take my time, and work on my end of the deal. The K31 can obviously hold up its end! Now... is Reading the only place around that has 3x600 shoots?

If you check in the Rifle Competition section, there is a sticky with schedules for some of the bigger ranges.

NH
Nashua - 600 Yds.
Pelham - Building a 600 yd. range
MA
Reading - 600 Yds.
VT
Jericho E.A.F.R. - 600 Yds.
ME
Scarborough - 600 Yds. being constructed
Hampden - 600 Yds.

I can see that there are very few 600 yard ranges around the immediate area, understandable given domicile density, etc. (Go Pelham!) Pity, because I think I'm getting the hang of this 600 yard thing. The K31 (with a little help from me) shot a 98 -1X for me today. It seems to hang around the 10 okay, although the X 's remain elusive. Unfortunately Nashua doesn't have 3x600 shoots anymore. The guy that ran them said that some people got to be a**h***s about it, and seriously, who needs grief for something that you VOLUNTEER to do? What is it with some guys JESUS. I guess Reading has the only 3x600 shoot this month (8/27... isn't that a Monday?) anywhere near here, but I am looking forward to it

Update...
Nashua - 600 yards
second practice string...
98 -2X

happy camper here

Now... to work on those X's...

handload

Sierra 168 HPBT, 44.5 gr Reloader 15, Graf (Honady) brass, Winchester primer, 2575 fps.

Shot a 99 2X a couple of weeks ago. Again, I need to find that X a bit more often, but hell... I can surely live with a 99 for 10 shots.

I will be at Reading Sunday morning (08.26) for my first 3X600. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
I've heard the K31 can be quite accurate. Are you shooting the MR-1 or the new F-class targets?
Good luck at Reading.

Where is the range in Reading?

Nice shooting too! Any pics of the rig?

95/128 North to exit 40.

Take the rotary around to Haverhill St.

Follow Haverhill for about 1.5 miles and you will see a small Reading Rifle and Pistol sign on your right at a set of lights.

Take that right and stay right past the ice arena. You will see the main gate after a couple of blocks.

This just in from the coincidence/thread hijack corner:

I shot a friend's K31 carbine today. First time for me. Shooting just that surplus stuff that comes in the whitish cardboard box, that friggin' thing shot just as well as my tricked-out M14![shocked]

Now I've got to get one of those goddamn things.

You know any place up here that has them? I've heard they are very nice. Larry has been talking about those things for over ten years now. Not sure why I never picked one up.

B

Reading 3X600 newb

I am not sure what targets they will employ at Reading. I don't like the new ones as well, but I'll gladly shoot at whatever they throw up there. I am still not sure what class I will be in. I believe they put the newbs in a "TR", or FF I think. Shooting a military caliber means nothing once you put glass on your rifle, so forget the sling, you might as well use a rest (bags, bipod, whatever). Anyway... pix here too. Can't wait. I wonder what time they get started there? (...and does Reading not have a website?)
K31full.JPEG
K31close.JPEG

95/128 North to exit 40.

Take the rotary around to Haverhill St.

Follow Haverhill for about 1.5 miles and you will see a small Reading Rifle and Pistol sign on your right at a set of lights.

Take that right and stay right past the ice arena. You will see the main gate after a couple of blocks.

Ahhh ok, I'll have to check it out.

That's a good lookin' rifle too!!

You know any place up here that has them? I've heard they are very nice. Larry has been talking about those things for over ten years now. Not sure why I never picked one up.

B

C&R Trading Post on Rt. 1 South of Brunswick has a couple of them for $239. I don't know if that price is good or bad. I wish the issue sights were a little better.

I am still not sure what class I will be in. I believe they put the newbs in a "TR", or FF I think.

By the NRA rules you would be in F-O if you decide to shoot in F-Class. F-TR requires .308/7.62 or .223/5.56.

The rifle would qualify as an NRA Match Rifle if you shoot it out of the shoulder with a sling but you couldn't use the scope; (except in the Any Sight match) it would have to be iron sights.

B

EDIT: Yeah they decided to get rid of the website - Don't ask me why. Unofficial webpage is a Delphi Forum.

3x600 Report

Well, I was put in F-TR class, which is restricted to .308 an .223. The 7.5x55mm that the K31 shoots (which are reloaded with .308 bullets) is a predecessor to .308 Win anyway.

By the way, I have since learned that there is an F-M class being developed around the country that is restricted to mass-produced/military rifles. They can be bedded, have their triggers tuned, and wear any sights, but must otherwise be left stock, and fired from a bipod or bag.

Anyway, I did not have a great day. I learned a lot about the mirage generated by the hot marsh/swamps that lie downrange at Reading. (My target was shifting 1-2 MOA back and forth in my scope.) This was something I never encountered in Nashua which has dry ground all the way to the 600 yard line. I ended up shooting 556 10X. It was not a horrible score for a newb, except the guy squadded with me, (shooting a Savage bolt .223 with a 24X scope and bipod), scored a 600 with something like 40X. That sure took the wind out of my sails... if only temporarily.

Nashua has a practice on Sept 9, but my daughter is singing at church that Sunday, and I'll be an instant candidate for crappy pappy if I blow it off to shoot. (I must confess however... the wheels are still turning on this one...)

Well. There's work to do, but F-TR seems to be the class for me. I just need to practice a lot more until I reach the limits of what the K31 can do. Then I'll consider a new .308 tactical (Rem 700? Savage?) that I can make a long term project out of. Fun though. Always fun... no matter what.

except the guy squadded with me, (shooting a Savage bolt .223 with a 24X scope and bipod), scored a 600 with something like 40X.

He probably wasn't shooting on the F class 600 yard target but on the standard MR-1 target made for iron sights. So that's not very impressive.

Sorry you had a tough time. One thing to remember is that you are only shooting against yourself. Some of the rifles other people are shooting are really thoroughbreds; not to mention the shooter may have years of experience. A lot of the regulars there probably have twenty years or more.

Also remember that you will be taking a difficult road with the rifle you have. It may be accurate for a mil surplus rifle, but you will progress much faster and become a much better shooter with upgraded equipment. If you can swing it I'd recommend the new Savage F-TR rifle, but any varmint type rifle in .308 would work well. Just remember that some are better than others and even those could manage some upgrades after a season or two.

B

3X600 report Part II

Yeah, that guy was shooting an MR-1, but so was I... *sigh*. This was his first 600 yard event, although he was apparently an OTC veteran. In any case, I know that I will need to upgrade eventually. I assumed all along that the K31 would at some point be relegated back to its status as a 200 yard iron sighted off-hander, where it does pretty well. I guess the Savage F-TR is a possibility, although I think I would prefer a more rugged tactical rifle like a Savage 10FP McMillan, or Rem 700 XCR. These can be warmed over by a gunsmith to be very competitive from what I read. I am not mad about the AccuTrigger however. I borrowed a Savage bolt rifle in .223 from a friend to try out for some 200 yard off-hand shooting, and had a difficult time getting use to it. I've been doing 2-stage military triggers for too long I guess. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I am not too discouraged really. Just a challenge, which is what this is all about after all...

Last edited:
8x57, I would strongly encourage you to go the slings and irons route.

The overall cost outlay will be very similar, the challenge greater, and competition opportunities far less limited.

The easist way into the sport is with a used 308 Win prone rifle. Get one with a shot out barrel and rebarrel. That way you will start with a fresh tube of your choice. In this sport, barrels are consumables just like bullets and powder but 308 has the longest barrel life of any serious competitive cartridge by far.

The XCR (from what I read on their website) would not be appropriate. No heavy barrel and the stock is not bedded. It looks like a polypropylene stock and they are not really suitable for bedding.

The 10FP McMillan looks like it would be fine, but I'm not sure if it is bedded into the stock.

For the most part the Savage, Remingtons and Winchesters are all decent actions from an accuracy standpoint if you are building a gun. If you are buying one it's a little bit of a tossup. I'm not sure if Brownells still sells Remington Actions.

B

F-TR rifles

I am pretty much focused on F-TR. It just strikes me as closer to the practical precision rifle shooting skill I'd like to achieve some day. Those rifles did look interesting by the way Jose, especially the Parker-Hale, but I must confess I am growing more fond of the Savage 10FP-McMillan all the time. It is pillar bedded by the way, but not glass bedded. The only knock against Savages are their stocks, and these seem like a reasonable upgrade. Otherwise, Savage "out of the box" accuracy seems unquestioned, and although I had issues with my brief encounter with their AccuTrigger, others swear by them.

Still, I am thinking I might borrow one of the club AR-15's and get in some sling and irons shooting as well. I'm sure it can't hurt, and I do like 200 yard off-hand. In any case, again thanks for all the input. I''l be glad to bore you with my progress.

Last edited:
I've said this before and I will say it again.

A shooter who masters a rifle with irons and a sling can easily master any "practical" rifle.

The reverse is not quite so.

Back
Top Bottom