7.62x51 / 308 Semi-auto options

Took the SA58 out twice, once up in Grafton with a college friend, and later on with @daekken at Pelham Fish and Game. TL: DR, gun had failures to eject and I'm going to attempt adjusting the gas more.

Long version: shot a magazine up in Grafton and had one failure to eject. The failure to eject spent case was hanging out of the ejection port by the end of the cartridge case, either by the rim or by the extraction groove. The rifle's gas was set to 4.5. I was shooting Aguila .308 Winchester (150gr FMJBT). The recoil on 4.5 was very gentle. My friend also enjoyed the rifle. No issue clearing the FTE.

Made my way down to Pelham and had the same FTE issue: case would get stuck on the ejection port, almost out of the gun. Set the gas to 5.5 and no change, still FTE. Set the gas to either 6 or 6.5 and got worse with a stuck case preventing the bolt from unlocking and ejecting. When we were shooting on 6.5, we were using Aguila 7.62x51 (which I found odd because they sell both .308 and 7.62x51).

I just realized that I didn't try turning the gas down, just up, so I will see what happens with the gas on 4, 3.5, 3, etc.

When the gun's running, it shoots relatively point-of-aim and is gentle at 4.5-5.5. Got a little harsh at 6.5 but was still pretty tame in comparison to a M1A I owned.

The FAL is fantastic! It was much more pleasant than I was expecting. Many thanks to @C. Stockwell for letting me try it (and the BHP).

My impressions:

- Mag entry/removal was fine once you get the hang of it.
- A good deal heavier than I expected but probably a big reason it is comfortable to shoot
- Adjustable gas system is a nice feature, I could see coming up with a load that I like and tailoring the gas to it
- As a lefty having the charging handle on the right like the AK is preferred BUT with the extra heftiness of the rifle, I think having the support arm on the handguards and charging with trigger hand is actually more likely to be stable
- I think with a bipod you could do some serious damage from prone
- One concern I had was that as a lefty if I got really high on the pistol grip my hand can start to contact the safety and I am a little concerned I could engage it unintentionally.

Overall it exceeded my expectations. For me, I like it better than the M1A/M14. I definitely see one in my future.

Last edited:
I put the SAW style pistol grip from DSA on mine and find it even more comfortable. I too shoot rifles lefty (I'm righty but left eye dominant) and have never had an issue (or even thought about) accidentally engaging the safety.

DS Arms - DSA FAL SA58 M249 Saw Style Pistol Grip - Black

Every single time I pick my rifle up I say 'jeez I forget how heavy this thing is!'

Good luck with your decision/Edit: Search!

All this FAL talk is gonna make me take mine out for a spin soon; been a little while.

Funny that you say that, DSA released 40 Rhodesian reproduction FAL receivers today, and I was one of the lucky ones who placed an order before they sold out!
Love it. You do that rifle justice, you hear me? Make it epic, iconic, and clone correct.

Love it. You do that rifle justice, you hear me? Make it epic, iconic, and clone correct.
I will do my best. I have a Rhodesian pistol grip with some remaining paint, an RA marked bolt and bolt carrier, a gas plug + grenade sight and a top cover with some remaining paint. I have a Rhodesian magazine on the way as well.

This thread, among others, had me start an AR/308 build. Aero Precision upper and lower, Strike Industries stuff, and a few other things. I know I’ll need help, so I’ll start my own thread at some point over the next week or so.

Daekken - that’s a beaut.

This thread, among others, had me start an AR/308 build. Aero Precision upper and lower, Strike Industries stuff, and a few other things. I know I’ll need help, so I’ll start my own thread at some point over the next week or so.

Daekken - that’s a beaut.
If I decide to build an AR 10, I will go the 6.5 Kardashian route. Ammo is everywhere now, a tad less than .308 for match stuff, it recoils less and the round performs better. And I really, really need another rifle (yeah, right).

If I decide to build an AR 10, I will go the 6.5 Kardashian route. Ammo is everywhere now, a tad less than .308 for match stuff, it recoils less and the round performs better. And I really, really need another rifle (yeah, right).

Lol - I am looking to buy a separate upper just for that reason!

Like or no like?
I like.

It's MA legal (i.e. not in the state AWB), so dealers can safely sell. Reasonably priced for an American-made 308 semi auto (the delayed blowback is not bad, but still isnt as good as gas or piston), cheap preban mags, trigger sucks but a simple trigger job should make it go. Weight is a bit front heavy, but not a heavy as a M1A socom. Sights take a bit to get used to.

The FAL is in the AWB, so it's harder to find and pricier. Never handled one but supposedly the ergonomics are ideal.

I like.

It's MA legal (i.e. not in the state AWB), so dealers can safely sell. Reasonably priced for an American-made 308 semi auto (the delayed blowback is not bad, but still isnt as good as gas or piston), cheap preban mags, trigger sucks but a simple trigger job should make it go. Weight is a bit front heavy, but not a heavy as a M1A socom. Sights take a bit to get used to.

The FAL is in the AWB, so it's harder to find and pricier. Never handled one but supposedly the ergonomics are ideal.

I much prefer the FAL over the PTR for ergos but I don't live in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom