7.62x51 NATO | .308 Rifle Recommendations

Yeah, that's a huge plus in Mass, not sure what other modern 7.62 semiautos have readily available pre-bans - I think Rock River makes one, but the SCAR seems like the perfect SHTF 7.62.

$2800 is a lot to stomach though, and then there's the question of whether to make the folding stock compliant (yuck).

I'm also kinda bored with the whole Direct impingement platform, time for a change. The SCAR is proven to be reliable if not more than the AR [pot].

And of course im going to comply with the AWB BS, i'm going to have to ask Greg Derr to be as least invasive as possible with the stock pinning procedure in-case reversal is ok in the future.

Black friday was good to me, got a Supe Scar trigger for $225 and a Battlecomp on-sale. Also picked up some dated South African Metric FAL mags to be converted.

I'm curious what the actual test is. How many groups, how many rounds per group. Barrel break in?

Arfcom would be the place to look for that info. They ship with a <MOA target but as for barrel break-in, idk the procedure.

Arfcom would be the place to look for that info. They ship with a <MOA target but as for barrel break-in, idk the procedure.

Just curious that's all. Wondering what they do. How many 3 shot groups do they shoot before giving up or getting to that moa group.
I have no doubt that the guns and good ammo can do it. Heck I've pulled off a few sub moa groups with my flat top RRA NM rifle with a simple 2.5x8 scope. Not many though. Mostly my lack of skills keeps me from consistently shooting moa or better.

The SCAR looks cool as hell but I can't handle the price. If you're a careful shopper on classifieds boards you could literally get an M1A, a FAL, and a PTR for the cost of one SCAR.

The SCAR looks cool as hell but I can't handle the price. If you're a careful shopper on classifieds boards you could literally get an M1A, a FAL, and a PTR for the cost of one SCAR.

That's totally true, without question. But in my opinion the price Is justified, I only need one SCAR to get the best of all 3 of those. You have to look beyond the price and what ur actually paying for. I can't bring 3 battle rifles when/if the SHTF.

Lightweight
Plenty accurate as a battle rifle.
Lowest recoil
Extreme reliability.
AR-15 ergonomics and modularity.

So with foldable and collapsible stocks do the get but butchered up for MA compliance?? Meaning if the laws change can they be undone without physical damage done to the rifle?

This was somewhat mentioned earlier in the thread.

So with foldable and collapsible stocks do the get but butchered up for MA compliance?? Meaning if the laws change can they be undone without physical damage done to the rifle?

This was somewhat mentioned earlier in the thread.

I suppose it depends who does the massification, I'm going to make sure mine is reversible, with the least amount of damage done. Anything is possible if u got a gun smith.

I suppose it depends who does the massification, I'm going to make sure mine is reversible, with the least amount of damage done. Anything is possible if u got a gun smith.

Most shops won't sell the rifle untill the mod is comple. Or, some of them already have the mod done.... How do you get around that if you want a say in how it is done?

Most shops won't sell the rifle untill the mod is comple. Or, some of them already have the mod done.... How do you get around that if you want a say in how it is done?

That's why I always transfer into mass, chances are the guns hanging on the shelf are massified, whether they are reversible, i have no idea. I transfer to a gunsmith who does all the work for me.

That's totally true, without question. But in my opinion the price Is justified, I only need one SCAR to get the best of all 3 of those. You have to look beyond the price and what ur actually paying for. I can't bring 3 battle rifles when/if the SHTF.

Lightweight
Plenty accurate as a battle rifle.
Lowest recoil
Extreme reliability.
AR-15 ergonomics and modularity.

Oh, I get it's a terrific gun. Just for me that seems like a hard tradeoff, considering people are still running around dirty countries shooting each other with FALs and G3s every day. Not to mention in this state I'd have to purposely damage a SCAR stock and use converted FAL mags.

I look at used SCARs and start drooling until I realize I'd have to sell two rifles and two pistols to pay for it.

I'd do this, rather than butcher a SCAR. It's a SCAR stock adapter, get this and mount a standard AR stock to it, like a CTR, that has an easily reversible pin. Or a fixed stock. Any shop should let you go home that way.

The SCAR stock looks like crap anyway.

P1360224.jpg

I'd do this, rather than butcher a SCAR. It's a SCAR stock adapter, get this and mount a standard AR stock to it, like a CTR, that has an easily reversible pin. Or a fixed stock. Any shop should let you go home that way.

The SCAR stock looks like crap anyway.

P1360224.jpg

That looks like an abortion gone bad.

And i don't consider pinning a stock "butchering" or "damaging" necessarily, yes, it goes against the norm so we in Mass call it Butchering. And yes, i've seen stocks get truly butchered, it can be done cleanly and can be reversed with no issues if care is taken. I also size it to my length of pull before its pinned.

That's fine well and good, but your probably gonna need a cheek piece if u go with an optic with that stock, but i also don't hate the way it looks, all the way out isn't ideal for me.

That adapter is $170, not including stock, may as well "Butcher" the the factory stock.

Last edited:
And i don't consider pinning a stock "butchering" or "damaging" necessarily, yes, it goes against the norm so we in Mass call it Butchering. And yes, i've seen stocks get truly butchered, it can be done cleanly and can be reversed with no issues if care is taken. I also size it to my length of pull before its pinned.

That's fine well and good, but your probably gonna need a cheek piece if u go with an optic with that stock, but i also don't hate the way it looks, all the way out isn't ideal for me.

That adapter is $170, not including stock, may as well "Butcher" the the factory stock.

The adapter lets you use any AR stock.

I realize that, $170 for the adapter, plus a stock, then to be pinned, may as well "butcher" the FN stock.

But u may still need a cheek piece for any aftermarket stock u use with the adapter.

Oh wait...the adapter allows for raising the height of the stock in relation to the rail deleting the need for a cheek piece, i'm starting to like it more, but it aint cheep.

Last edited:
I realize that, $170 for the adapter, plus a stock, then to be pinned, may as well "butcher" the FN stock.

But u may still need a cheek piece for any aftermarket stock u use with the adapter.

Oh wait...the adapter allows for raising the height of the stock in relation to the rail deleting the need for a cheek piece, i'm starting to like it more, but it aint cheep.

They seemed to really like it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/gear-review-vltor-re-scar-stock-fn-scar/

SCAR 17 is sort of a 'money is no object' piece anyway.

I have a handbuilt .308AR I made with an 80% lower from an NES group buy.

Also have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.

Enjoy shooting them both, for different reasons.

If I could only keep one, it'd be the Ruger.

I appreciate your confidence in me, but to be honest, my experience beyond 600 yds is very limited. I understand the mechanics of it, and what it takes to put a round in the center at that yardage, but I do not have much trigger time at 1000+.

Think about it. Very few people actually know the mechanics of it. Especially doping wind.

I shoot mostly 100 to 300 yards myself, it's hard to find a range that allows more. But, with the new "toy" I recently got, it looks like I'm going to have to. Finding a 1500+ yard range is going to be hard, east of the Mississippi.

The only thing with the scar is , with its pencil barrel it heats up quickly and groups open up alot. But it is a really good rifle, i still want one, and am considering trading into one, but i mainly bought a 308 as a dmr/sass.

I know the scar for me personally has a better charging handle similar to my ak which i like. Ive always hated my sig 716 ar charging handle style.

None are cheap......typical FAL is approaching 2k

M1A can be had from springfield for ~1500 and up.....if you're going to spend that much you might as well buy one from LRB and be done with it

AR10 is well over 1k

May not be 7.62x51 but you cant go wrong with an M1 Garand and you can get one from CMP for around 1k ready to go

You can get one of the CMP specials in 308. Basically a "new" rifle. REFINISHED BY THE CMP with a new 308 criterion barrel and new stock. $1030 to your door.

The only thing with the scar is , with its pencil barrel it heats up quickly and groups open up alot. But it is a really good rifle, i still want one, and am considering trading into one, but i mainly bought a 308 as a dmr/sass.

I know the scar for me personally has a better charging handle similar to my ak which i like. Ive always hated my sig 716 ar charging handle style.

1) It is a battle rifle- mine does not heat up/open groups up any more so than my AR.
2) It is NOT a precision weapon- if your groups are "opening" to a noticeable level, you have the wrong rifle for the intended application.

I got my SCAR in a trade- I probably won't be keeping it, but I will say- it is pretty badass. If I was in a gunfight, there is not another gun I have ever shot that I would want more. It is light weight, manages recoil, is very comfortable/ergo (even though the stock does look like an ugg boot), and accurate to boot- also nice to have 20 rounds of 168gr TAP at your finger tips... There is something that makes me laugh when double tapping .308...great feeling.

I have an M1A scout, hands down my favorite rifle in my collection. I recently purchased an older PTR91 made with H&K parts and didnt like it at first but it has since grown on me. If i were to go with a AR10 rifle my only consideration after my research would be an Armalite, and probably the old pattern to share magazines with my M1A. My PTR is for sale still in the classifieds, theres a FAL there too.

1) It is a battle rifle- mine does not heat up/open groups up any more so than my AR.
2) It is NOT a precision weapon- if your groups are "opening" to a noticeable level, you have the wrong rifle for the intended application.

This x1000

I think people get confused about the real purpose of the SCAR when comparing other 308 rifles. Accuracy seems to be the #1 "worry" about the scar, and from what ive read and seen it pretty damn accurate, it has surprised alot of people.

How many here obsess about the accuracy of their new general purpose 5.56 AR on their wish list.? We all know that they are accurate enough for the intended purpose, so we don't obsess over it, we buy a good AR and run with it. I don't think you'll see many people worrying about their group opening up on their Colt or BCM rifle, precision is not the purpose of that rifle, that's what a SCAR is, its a general purpose battle rifle.
Maybe its the price that people get confused about.? It's a hard sell for some to spend nearly $3k on a general purpose SHTF rifle, so they expect the best accuracy, i get that, but i think with the SCAR ur paying for a-lot of rifle, it does everything very well, it's really tough to find flaws in its performance as a SHTF rifle.

If your hung up on precision then this is the wrong thread. All the rifles considered in this thread, like PTR's, FAL's, AR-10's, Scar's, M1a's are all very accurate for their intended purpose, with that said i would not eliminate any rifle here due to it's lack of accuracy, not one of them would disappoint in that department, i know they are gonna be as accurate as i need it to be. But i will eliminate some for many other reasons, like recoil, weight, reliability, ergonomics, etc etc. To me these are the things that separate the SCAR from the other battle rifles listed here, to me these are the things that make the SCAR worth the extra money. If your not buying the SCAR because ur worried about accuracy then your totally ignoring all the great things that separate the SCAR from the others, ur doing it an injustice.

This decision is easy for me, i'm SCAR all the way and i know i wont regret it, and im not looking back.

Last edited:
The problem with the scar is the short hand guard. If you put a extended hand guard on, it vents right into your hand. For me that was deal killer.
Overall it is a nice shooting rifle, fairly soft shooting. Whether it's worth the price, that is up to the buyer. I prefer a well tuned AR10, lighter, softer shooting, cheaper

The problem with the scar is the short hand guard. If you put a extended hand guard on, it vents right into your hand. For me that was deal killer.
Overall it is a nice shooting rifle, fairly soft shooting. Whether it's worth the price, that is up to the buyer. I prefer a well tuned AR10, lighter, softer shooting, cheaper

To me something "well tuned" may run into reliability issues in crappy adverse conditions. If i tune my AR to be soft shooting reliability is slightly compromised, not something id like in a SHTF scenario. Would reliability be noticeable to the average guy, maybe not, but it could rear it's ugly head at some point?. Out of the box a SCAR is known to be softer shooting.

To me something "well tuned" may run into reliability issues in crappy adverse conditions. If i tune my AR to be soft shooting reliability is slightly compromised, not something id like in a SHTF scenario. Would reliability be noticeable to the average guy, maybe not, but it could rear it's ugly head at some point?. Out of the box a SCAR is known to be softer shooting.

I think it is likely that your typical 3-gun competitor runs his rifle harder and fires more rounds than 99% of gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom