$71 Toolcraft (158/MPI) or $61 AO Precision (9130/HPT/MPI)?

Which do you think is the best value?

Or the phosphate 158 HPT/MPI for $59?

Which do you think is the best value?

Or the phosphate 158 HPT/MPI for $59?

I grabbed two of the AO phosphate. Only because I like phosphate bcg, and I haven't seen them this cheap in a long time. I was looking for one the last two days, the next cheapest I found was a toolcraft for $130. Then this sale popped up.

I guess it comes down to which coating you prefer. Nitride is easier to clean and slick. While phosphate holds the lube better. But, both companies are good to go, and both have lifetime warranties.

I grabbed two of the AO phosphate. Only because I like phosphate bcg, and I haven't seen them this cheap in a long time. I was looking for one the last two days, the next cheapest I found was a toolcraft for $130. Then this sale popped up.

I guess it comes down to which coating you prefer. Nitride is easier to clean and slick. While phosphate holds the lube better. But, both companies are good to go, and both have lifetime warranties.
I got one
But I do not think my next gas gun will be in .223, so it will be just a spare. Still, a good value.

Same as yours - a 158 steel, cheaper one. I did not see $60 one. But I do not think it makes much of a difference at all, both are fine.
The AO phosphate was $60. Maybe you got toolcraft nitride? Which is an excellent choice.

The only coating I don't care for is nickel boron. Just seems to wear funny after 4-5k rounds.

The AO phosphate was $60. Maybe you got toolcraft nitride? Which is an excellent choice.

The only coating I don't care for is nickel boron. Just seems to wear funny after 4-5k rounds.
This - $58.95. $60.95 was 9310 steel

My AIM NIB with roughly 8k rounds, finish is still good but bolt broke last year.
I bought this about 8 years ago and AIM sent me a new one ( Bolt kit) after a call and that pic I sent.
Only phosphate I own is a BCM as I just find Nitride is easier to clean and runs smoothly

Attachments

• B756E08F-291D-49B3-BE0A-892850ABEADE.jpeg
    B756E08F-291D-49B3-BE0A-892850ABEADE.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 21
That's all skinflint trash, just buy whatever and cross your fingers

I love how consistently wrong you are about pretty much everything. lol

It's the consistency that I find most reassuring.

With cheap bolt carrier groups from known-good manufacturers an argument CAN be made to upgrade unknown guts--springs, roll pins, etc. just to be thorough.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvwl2NsYdQA

I love how consistently wrong you are about pretty much everything. lol

It's the consistency that I find most reassuring.

lol, believe what you want but I know better

It's still skinflint trash

Ironically the video you posted just validated this, if you actually bothered to watch it. If you have to f***ing repair the BCG out of the box, ITS the very DEFINITION of skinflint
trash. [rofl]

Doesn't mean that type of stuff won't work just fine for most people, though.

Ironically the video you posted just validated this, if you actually bothered to watch it. If you have to f***ing repair the BCG out of the box, ITS the very DEFINITION of skinflint
trash. [rofl]

That video itself is skinflint trash. That dude way over complicates things. The only thing wrong with that bolt was the roll pin wasn't all the way in. I don't care who is selling what bolt, one gets buy every now and then. Every upgrade he did is based off him being the world's only BCG innovation engineer.

Toolcraft and AO supply a bunch of companies with their bcg. After that, these companies do their "enhancements" and angle cuts, along with their hippie coatings. All rubbish I don't need. I need a gold coated, tri angular, enhanced bcg like I need another ex wife.

Andrew isn't allowed to put a little laughing emoji up either. He can take his bear creek stuff and beat it. ;)

That video itself is skinflint trash. That dude way over complicates things. The only thing wrong with that bolt was the roll pin wasn't all the way in. I don't care who is selling what bolt, one gets buy every now and then. Every upgrade he did is based off him being the world's only BCG innovation engineer.

Toolcraft and AO supply a bunch of companies with their bcg. After that, these companies do their "enhancements" and angle cuts, along with their hippie coatings. All rubbish I don't need. I need a gold coated, tri angular, enhanced bcg like I need another ex wife.

Andrew isn't allowed to put a little laughing emoji up either. He can take his bear creek stuff and beat it. ;)

I'm sure they do but you do realize even decent companies put out different tiers of product, and there's usually a good reason for it..

I agree with not wanting effluvial crap but nobody is going to convince me a $60 bcg is anything other than hardcore flint land. You can’t get to "the good place" from there, and that guys video proves it. There is no free lunch.

trash. [rofl]

AO isn't skinflint trash. They have military contracts and make BCGs for Colt, FN and others.
I'm sure they do but you do realize even decent companies put out different tiers of product, and there's usually a good reason for it..

I agree with not wanting effluvial crap but nobody is going to convince me a $60 bcg is anything other than hardcore flint land. You can’t get to "the good place" from there, and that guys video proves it. There is no free lunch.
His video doesn’t prove that. He changed the springs because he didnt know where they were sourced and it made him feel better. Watch his video on BCM bolts and you’ll see that he changes the springs for the same reason. Does that mean BCM bolts are garbage? The video did show that the roll pin wasn’t in as far as it should’ve been. Every company puts out a lemon every now and then. It also showed that the bcg was within spec. So it’s made from the correct mil-spec materials, is high pressure tested, magnetic particle inspected and is within spec. Not sure how that makes it skin flint trash.

Last edited:

I get it. Toolcraft bangs out different levels of stuff for various contracts. DD buys some, probably cleans up some machine marks further, sends it out for a nicer coating and so on. Then they charge their $200 for enhancements. These $60 jobs probably just meet spec to a certain degree. I'm fine with that. I highly doubt all the colt garbage I had in my youth was top notch.

I just like a good base level bcg. So when my poor man mk18 breaks off the ejector and extractor, I can do my own mods. I haven't found an out of the box bcg that holds up to that rifle yet.

This place is a f*cking riot.

lol.
Yeah it is, that's why I'm here.

Didn't say it wouldn't work, or that it's worthless..... if it works it works.

There are plenty of areas to 'flint' out on with an AR.

Toolcraft or AO bolts aren't one. As you mentioned, if they, they work. If you for some reason get a bad one, it should surface pretty quickly. QC issue could happen with any vendor, even the "Reptile" tier stuff.

Example of an area to not flint out on is the trigger. Just buy the Geissele and call it a day.

Didn't say it wouldn't work, or that it's worthless..... if it works it works.

So what you're really saying is that you wouldn't feel comfortable owning one of those bolts unless you paid $170 for it. Right?

Dude--you're in luck. I have a $300 bolt carrier group for you. In fact--I have as many as you want. This bolt is made from Carpenter 158 steel. It is high pressure tested and then subjected to magnetic particle inspection. The gas key hardened to mil spec and is staked with grade 8 harware. I'll hold a couple bolt carrier groups aside for you. They ought to be in in about a week.

Mall ninja's gonna mall ninja....

My toolcraft worked great in this mornings 10 degree weather.

Someone whose opinion I trust mentioned Young Manfacturing bolts as a quality bolt manufacturer....

There are plenty of areas to 'flint' out on with an AR.

Toolcraft or AO bolts aren't one. As you mentioned, if they, they work. If you for some reason get a bad one, it should surface pretty quickly. QC issue could happen with any vendor, even the "Reptile" tier stuff.

Example of an area to not flint out on is the trigger. Just buy the Geissele and call it a day.
Geissele should just stay with triggers, they got those right. Everything else, meh.

Nope, never said that, lol.

It's still skinflint bcg tho
I don't know, name brand bcg isn't flinting. Remember, this is a sale we were talking about. Same bcg somewhere else for 100-150, on sale for around 60. That's just a good deal. Being "thrifty" isn't the same as being a flint.

True skinflinting is buying no name garbage from places like bear creek and radical. What are those guys saving over toolcraft or AO? $5? Not worth it, but they buy it. Who knows where or what that rubbish is.

Now, the $100 I saved, I rolled into a box of Haut 10s. So, that's a win-win as far as I am concerned.

Forgot to add:

This stuff is actually quite good. Seems it got expensive, but it works great on the phosphate. It lasts a long time as well.

Back
Top Bottom