80% lower ar15 i think i screwed up

Might be worth checking out a few youtube videos if you haven't already. Makes almost anything look easy.

This is what I needed up getting.
It was like $90 on amazon.
View attachment 394615

And then I paired it with this for just shy of $50
View attachment 394616

One way or the other, its better than a hand drill
IF you put an end mill in that drill press, and even attempt to 'mill with it, the chuck will DROP.

IF you're set on using a drill press, at least get a SOLID one. I picked up my current floor drill press (Porter Cable) from Lowes as a discount. It was the floor model since that's all they had. No Allen wrenches or manual with it. They wanted to know what if I wanted it, told them not at the price on it. IIRC, got it for around half price. Still will NOT put end mills in it. Not expect any kind of precision from it. Simply put, you need a VERY rigid tool to get precision. By precision, I'm talking about holes being true to the table (straight).

Even if you end of processing the lower with that, don't assume the holes you make with drill bits for the FCG pins and safety are going to be all that great. Drill bits are NOT true round or to size. You really DO need the side holes to be correct. All the lowers I've processed (still have three to do) get the side holes drilled under size (wire gauge size bits) and then reamed to actual size. Zero issues that way. Also if your table isn't true to the spindle, and the spindle has low runout, your holes won't be in the same spot on both sides (all the jigs I've seen have you drill from one side all the way through). I've seen lowers that were done on a drill press that wasn't dead on. The FCG pins simply don't work right. That was actually what happened with the first lower I did. It's never been used and has "NFG" marked on it. I keep intending to properly destroy it. Just haven't gotten around to it. Got a couple different ways to cut it up now.

As for getting a mill 'just for finishing lowers'... I got my mill over a year ago and have yet to do a lower on it. I've made several other things so far with the mill. Current project is gas spring mounts for the fermentation chamber (mounts are being made from aluminum). I will be designing up some more brewing related items to make on the mill over the coming months. One of those will probably have to wait until I get a decent sized lathe (post move into my own house in 2021, I hope).

IMO, if you're mechanically inclined, you'll ALWAYS find many more uses for good tools/machines.

Dude, that's a train wreck if I've ever seen one... How many HOURS are you into it at this point??

Too many. Started with a 12v drill. Then bought a drill press. 4 hours into the drill press and I gave up.

I'm actually mechanically inclined on a serious note, but yeah, I guess not at this 😅

Too many. Started with a 12v drill. Then bought a drill press. 4 hours into the drill press and I gave up.

I'm actually mechanically inclined on a serious note, but yeah, I guess not at this 😅
This was just a practice run. I think you need to spend $50 and buy a new one. Try again!

I feel for you..i bought a reject from one of the lower companies, they sell them so you can do a dry run before the real thing, $12 well spent. Recommend getting one BEFORE your next attempt..

Is it me or are you trying to take to much "meat" out at once?
I never bothered to try 80% lower as i probably would be looking at $$$$ mil/lathe of sorts that i hardly use.
I would be hell bent on finishing it out even at this point.

I did do it in steps. Not straight to bigger bits. It just got to the point where everything kinda started to jump.
Thats when I went to the milling bit, and it got worse.

I did do it in steps. Not straight to bigger bits. It just got to the point where everything kinda started to jump.
Thats when I went to the milling bit, and it got worse.
Well , i still would finish it out myself juzt for practice. Take more material out with smaller bits.
Like said end mills dont play well with drill press and securing the piece solid is another step . The cheap "mill adapters" you put on drill presses suck they walk loose.

The first 80 I did, I drilled the holes with a dying 12v drill. Took forever. Then milled it with the end mill in a router. That worked pretty well, just have to go SLOW, be patient and increase depth a sliver at a time.
Yours look like 💩 now, but once you finish drilling the holes (with a quality drill) and slowly mill the pocket, it'll look loads better. My only fear is that your trigger pocket looked fawked in the photo

The first 80 I did, I drilled the holes with a dying 12v drill. Took forever. Then milled it with the end mill in a router. That worked pretty well, just have to go SLOW, be patient and increase depth a sliver at a time.
Yours look like 💩 now, but once you finish drilling the holes (with a quality drill) and slowly mill the pocket, it'll look loads better. My only fear is that your trigger pocket looked fawked in the photo

Two thoughts on the trigger pocket -
1) Use this first time through as a lesson, work with it some more, then start another one.
2) Drop in trigger really only needs the trigger pins to hold it in place.

Well thanks to a member here, my lower was salvaged with his knowledge.

I'm ready for the flame war for my choice of painting (which came out horrible) , but its my gun so 😋

I swear , its not the color represented, its darker in person.

View attachment 400098

One day it'll get cerakoted in a similar fashion
Shame on you....... Taking a pic of that rifle in restricted mode!
Colors, eh... Can change at any point. i was scared when my daughter said she wanted to paint my/her rifle. Just a few pink highlites.

Forgive the color-blind in the crowd - is that blue or purple????

(And for those that are thinking right now, "how can you NOT know what color that is" welcome to a window into my world. )

Back
Top Bottom