9mm carry ammo

Ok, one more question. I know +P or +P+ means it is a hotter faster load, but do the +’s and P’s actually mean something, like a unit of measurement?

Jim, you say “wicked hot”, does that mean you load them hotter than can be bought commercially?

Ok, one more question. I know +P or +P+ means it is a hotter faster load, but do the +’s and P’s actually mean something, like a unit of measurement?

+P is usually has a PSI/CUP pressure value max for each cartridge established by SAAMI.

+P+ is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be, although usually in most cases its not that far above +P, with some exceptions.... like Hirtenberger 9mm Subgun ammo... [laugh] that's more like ++P++ . '

Some calibers, like .40 S+W, and others, don't have a +P value established. (probably because .40 can't really be scaled much in that case without blowing the case up. )

-Mike

For my night stand gun g19 I user +p+ Rangers, in pf9 Ive been using the zombie max ammo as of recent 115 standard pressure. Only reason I wanted it because it was the same grain and velocity of my practice ammo in addition to low recoil. I might be switching back to +p gold or the winchester pdx +p. I like bonded rounds and the PDX have had a lot of great reviews recently. They are also a pretty hot round with good weight retention and expansion. If I had the chance to find any more HST i 9 thats what I would use, I have them in my g27 cause they rock.

+P is usually has a PSI/CUP pressure value max for each cartridge established by SAAMI.

+P+ is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be, although usually in most cases its not that far above +P, with some exceptions.... like Hirtenberger 9mm Subgun ammo... [laugh] that's more like ++P++ . '

Some calibers, like .40 S+W, and others, don't have a +P value established. (probably because .40 can't really be scaled much in that case without blowing the case up. )

-Mike

You don't happen to know what 9mm major (USPSA) would look like with P's and +'s for reference, would you?

Ill dogpile a little here. Winchester 9mm NATO-spec.

I am coming around to this after talking to a smart dude last night.

You don't happen to know what 9mm major (USPSA) would look like with P's and +'s for reference, would you?

A standard 9mm +P load is not anywhere near 9mm Major. 9mm Major is insane. For example that Win Ranger +P+ load I posted is like 160 PF, which is still 5 PF short of 9mm Major. [laugh] Maybe some subgun ammo like Hirt could make major.

I am coming around to this after talking to a smart dude last night.

Ball is fine if you shoot someone enough times with it but I'd rather use JHP- you can get intermediate barrier penetration that's as good as ball, and if you're not shooting through such a barrier, I'd rather have ammo that reliably expands. .5 > .356 or whatever it is. The two loads I posted both go at least 12" in balgel, so they're not underpenetrating loads, etiher. Bigger holes are better. After seeing the difference between the two in testing, I'd rather have a good JHP any day of the week. It's like a "free" upgrade.

Now if you gave me some random shitty JHP and high quality ball ammo, I'd rather have the ball ammo. But that is because crappy JHPs are overpriced ball ammo a lot of the time.

The difference in recoil, in practice between 9mm NATO and the stuff I use is marginal. The Win +P+ is a little bit louder and snappier, but in 9mm the difference is tough to notice unless you've been shooting tons of it at a time and then abruptly switching.

-Mike

Last edited:
I think I am going to order a large box of different stuff, and shoot it at a bunch of different things and see what strikes my fancy.

If you want penetration and expansion look up critical duty rounds. They go through most barriers and still expand. Performs very well in the FBI ballistic tests (through glass, clothing, drywall etc)

Thanks, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm using.

Jim, you say “wicked hot”, does that mean you load them hotter than can be bought commercially?

There's a SAAMI spec for max pressure on +P ammo, but not for +P+. The '+P+' designation was created by ammo mfgs to indicate that their rounds are wicked hot. I'm not sure if you can buy something as fast as the ones I make; I haven't really looked.

Care to share the recipe?

Nope. It's over max but safe in my carry gun. It won't even chamber in some of my pistols. I have no idea what it'll do in anyone else's so I'm not going to encourage anyone.

Nope. It's over max but safe in my carry gun. It won't even chamber in some of my pistols. I have no idea what it'll do in anyone else's so I'm not going to encourage anyone.

Just out of curiosity, are you at all concerned about the potential for getting f-ed by the courts (even harder than you would otherwise) if you ever had to use one of those in a self-defense situation?

"My client was just about to turn his life around when you shot him with your homemade super mega extra killy bullet that normal guns can't even handle...."

Just out of curiosity, are you at all concerned about the potential for getting f-ed by the courts (even harder than you would otherwise) if you ever had to use one of those in a self-defense situation?

"My client was just about to turn his life around when you shot him with your homemade super mega extra killy bullet that normal guns can't even handle...."

I think this is one of those myths. I have never been able to find info on a case where this was ever brought up. I looked into it when i was carrying my Sig as i carried reloads in it.

A little, but not enough to make me want to not take any edge I can to make sure I live through any 'self-defense situation'. One bridge at a time.

At least I can say I'm not using hollowpoints. [wink]

EddieCoyle said:
A little, but not enough to make me want to not take any edge I can to make sure I live through any 'self-defense situation'. One bridge at a time.

At least I can say I'm not using hollowpoints. [wink]

As far as anyone could tell looking at your home brew 124's there just low power target rounds ;-) especially of made with new brass.

I must be the only guy on earth that carried a target round (American Eagle) in his sr9c. Right now its Winchester 180 gr jhp for my mp40c

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

With a G19 you can not go wrong with any of the Premium rounds standard, sub sonic or high pressure. Since the late 1990's more of my customers are leaning toward the 147gr loads but there has also been a little resurgence of the standard pressure 124gr also.

Actually I recall that a fast 9mm hardball will tumble in flesh. Not ideal but not bad.

Not really. Most of the time it just bores right through. It'll still do the job though if you put the bullets in the right places.

-Mike

Thanks, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm using.

There's a SAAMI spec for max pressure on +P ammo, but not for +P+. The '+P+' designation was created by ammo mfgs to indicate that their rounds are wicked hot. I'm not sure if you can buy something as fast as the ones I make; I haven't really looked.

I think it's pretty much extinct now, but that Hirtenbirger 9mm "L7A1" stuff used to be really, really hot. Like 124 grains going 1400 FPS or so out of a standard 4" handgun kind of hot. It was some kind of ammo intended for 9mm Submachine guns.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom