9mm shortage...

Reloads are worthless, hahahahah

When I told my friend to buy all the .355 bullets I found him to reload with he laughed, I dont need 1500 bullets
Now hes crying that crap factory FMJ is over $1 round and no bullets to be found.

i've been screaming to my buddies for years..."START RELOADING!" noooo they said. start up costs are too high. and when i want to shoot, i hit the store and get what i need, and ammo is so cheap." so what time do you want your wake up call? i shoot, they stay home and rake leaves. [laugh]

I wonder how the guys that say “reloading is a waste of time “are feeling right now?

I'm not one of those guys; I'm asking out of ignorance. Let's assume that once the panic and Christmas is over, the "new normal" for 9mm is $0.50 per round and the price of primers reverts to $20 per 1000. Not counting the cost of the brass nor the capital investment, what would you say that you are paying yourself per hour?

i've been screaming to my buddies for years..."START RELOADING!" noooo they said. start up costs are too high. and when i want to shoot, i hit the store and get what i need, and ammo is so cheap." so what time do you want your wake up call? i shoot, they stay home and rake leaves. [laugh]
Yep. Before the SHTF, people got hung up that 9mm prices were so cheap that it wasn’t worth reloading. They always overlooked the fact that you’ll be able to make your ammo during shortages etc like we’re in right now. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

I'm not one of those guys; I'm asking out of ignorance. Let's assume that once the panic and Christmas is over, the "new normal" for 9mm is $0.50 per round and the price of primers reverts to $20 per 1000. Not counting the cost of the brass nor the capital investment, what would you say that you are paying yourself per hour?
I don’t put a dollar amount on my time to reload. If you have a progressive press, you can easily bang out 400+ rounds per hour. That’s what my output is without a case feeder or bullet feeder. If it took me a 1-2 hours to make 50 rounds, then maybe I’d put a dollar amount on my time?? I dunno. I enjoy reloading so it’s just a hobby. YMMV

I think these cost me $4-5/box! :)
If that's what it comes down to then I'm in. I remember crunching the numbers a while ago and basically concluded that CPR is a tad more than store-bought, but that you can make custom to your liking. Nowadays, even if you can produce for 20 CPR you're way ahead of the market!

This is to all the turds who laughed when I told them I reloaded 9mm, many of them said it was a waste of time. I was reloading because I enjoyed it. It was a way to get in a groove and forget about the daily grind. PLUS I had good quality ammo any time I wanted to go to the range early. Not having to wait while a LGS opened or wait in line to buy anything. I'm still reloading (and casting my own) because I enjoy it , and NOW I have more time on my hands to load . I'm concentrating more on .45 till the several thousands of 9mm dwindle down some. Stacked up on all the components when I had spare money and stocked em deep YEEEHAW!!!! ************here's some of this mornings Blue Babies in .45 ACP loaded with HP-38 and CCI large primer

Attachments

• IMG_0052 (2).jpg
    IMG_0052 (2).jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Yep, lots of folks coming late to the party. I say welcome, come on in...better late than never.

I don’t put a dollar amount on my time to reload.
neither do i. never have. mainly because when i was younger and had people with me, it was time alone, time to think. spent many, many pleasant hours pounding out ammo and listening to 'bcn (when they actually were good ). now, i still enjoy it. i'm alone now, listen to music and loose myself for a few hours. i still run the equipment i bought 50 years ago with my "new" addition, a hornady progressive i picked up 30 years ago.

does anyone even remotely interested in starting to reload even look in the classifieds here? there's been some fabulous deals posted there over the years. stay away from that pot metal junk and buy right the first time and you'll have your equipment for a lifetime.

does anyone even remotely interested in starting to reload even look in the classifieds here? there's been some fabulous deals posted there over the years. stay away from that pot metal junk and buy right the first time and you'll have your equipment for a lifetime.

More often than not. Or maybe not if they don't know its there.
You have to be able to sort through the garbage from the good stuff. And if you're brandy-new its easy to not know any better and get taken for a ride.
I got a really nice set of RCBS carbide dies in the mail yesterday from w.t.s. made a few months back. Really fair price too.
Then theres a different seller with "these primer prices are comparable to gunbroker prices". Good luck with that.

The current situation will not change once the panic and Christmas are over. The ammo/reload market took a huge hit and my opinion is won't recover much before the summer-that is you won't easily find ammo or primers until then. Once Biden does something stupid with guns/mags/ammo it will be worse than it is now.

Well I don’t like to count my labor on my hobbies but if you want to look at it as just a savings being your wage then let’s do that.
I can make a solid 500 rounds per hour.
$10 for 10# of lead if you had to purchase it
$7.14 for powder
$8 for primers

So let’s call it $25 for 500 rounds of 9mm that took me 1.5 hours to make because I cast the bullets.
Factory by your numbers would cost $250

I have a savings of $225 for 1.5 hours of work. So $150/hr if I did the math right.

Now if you bought the bullets they would cost you about $35-$40 for 500 and shave off 30 minutes of work.
So $210 in savings and 1 hour of labor.

As you can see above you can either be pretty slow at reloading, or you can be pretty sloppy with your purchasing and still be able to cover the cost of your time. If you make more than $150 -$210 an hour then you probably aren’t worrying about the cost of 9mm

With 9mm, buy it when it's cheap, make it when it isn't. It's pretty simple.

I can load 800 rounds of 9mm per hour. I stockpiled components when they were cheap. My cost for 9mm hovers around $.10 per round. At today's prices, I'm "paying myself" over $700/hour.

If you buy Dillon equipment, and figure your investment as retail price minus resale value, you're not investing a lot to get started.

Either the young guys at my range don't care about brass or the old guys can't bend over to retrieve it, I always come home with more .45 and 9mm than I brought,. sucks to sort( I hate small primer .45's ) and lots of it are only new out of a box fired too, SCORE. I'm not hunting it down either it's on the ground o in the bucket as I'm picking up my own. Currently have a mortar ammo can almost full of 9mm that needs to be tumbled and deprimed.

I was buying 9mm and 223 when it was cheap. I was also buying components as well. An hour a day after work plus a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday and you'll end up with more ammo than you know what to do with. No driving, no scouring the net for ammo thats 3 or 4X what it was just a few months ago (if you can even find it).

When ammo is cheap, components tend to be cheap as well. Buy them both and stack it up. When ammo gets scarce and/or expensive, start loading. When it gets cheap again, stop loading and start stacking again.

Its like stocks or real estate, buy it when no one is talking about it. Id be interested to see how the average number of posts per day on the TSUSA thread correlates to the price of a basket of popular calibers.

Yep. Before the SHTF, people got hung up that 9mm prices were so cheap that it wasn’t worth reloading. They always overlooked the fact that you’ll be able to make your ammo during shortages etc like we’re in right now. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

That faggotry has been repeated so often over the years going past like 20 years at least I think it would hope to be debunked by now. Anyone who says that, my reply to them would be "you're not very bright, are you? " [rofl]

Also none of the guys who say that, ever seem to have like 30K of commercial 9mm just laying around. If they did, then I could understand them saying it. [rofl]

You cant really do the pay yourself part. Your supposed to be reloading with your free time. Same as watch football for 4 hours on sunday. You dont pay yourself do you?

anyway if you reload what you do is “buy” your reloads from yourself.
I stuff cash in a small box everytime I pull ammo out to go shooting.
If it cost me .50 per round I stuff .75 round in the box. Assured cash on hand for components and a little more for the cost increases. My last large restock was 2017 , i tend to replace at 50% and I will double up.

so if I have 1000 bullets at 500 used I buy 1000 more. Do that with everyrhing and you stay stocked up.
Dont use up all your inventory then go looking for more. In less than 15 years this bull shit had lappened 3 times.
I can temember in the late 70s - 80s my dad complaining about the cost of ammo. Even back then local shops seldom had more than 1000 rnds of any thing on the shelf.
Cost did not get me into reloading.
The drive around to shop after shop to find 500+ rounds of anything was pissing me off. At that time 10k plus shotgun a year and easily 5k plus 22
Along with a few k of everything else.

That faggotry has been repeated so often over the years going past like 20 years at least I think it would hope to be debunked by now. Anyone who says that, my reply to them would be "you're not very bright, are you? " [rofl]

Also none of the guys who say that, ever seem to have like 30K of commercial 9mm just laying around. If they did, then I could understand them saying it. [rofl]
This is a good point. It’s more of the buy 2 box on the way to the range guys that say you can’t save any money. Yeah you need to pay off the equipment I guess if you want to look at it that way. (Though we don’t do the same with any other hobbies or refuse to buy a gun because it won’t pay for itself) but to @EddieCoyle point you have to figure that machine is worth money when you’re done.
I have about 3k 170 grain bullets waiting to be loaded. Made in my spare time and I had fun doing it.
Plenty of ammo on the shelves and tons of components.
You cant really do the pay yourself part. Your supposed to be reloading with your free time. Same as watch football for 4 hours on sunday. You dont pay yourself do you?

anyway if you reload what you do is “buy” your reloads from yourself.
I stuff cash in a small box everytime I pull ammo out to go shooting.
If it cost me .50 per round I stuff .75 round in the box. Assured cash on hand for components and a little more for the cost increases. My last large restock was 2017 , i tend to replace at 50% and I will double up.

so if I have 1000 bullets at 500 used I buy 1000 more. Do that with everyrhing and you stay stocked up.
Dont use up all your inventory then go looking for more. In less than 15 years this bull shit had lappened 3 times.
I can temember in the late 70s - 80s my dad complaining about the cost of ammo. Even back then local shops seldom had more than 1000 rnds of any thing on the shelf.
Cost did not get me into reloading.
The drive around to shop after shop to find 500+ rounds of anything was pissing me off. At that time 10k plus shotgun a year and easily 5k plus 22
Along with a few k of everything else.

Mac I love the way you do this. Pay yourself first. You will realize the savings in no time and pay for the next gun or reloading machine or vacation in no time.

Again if you don’t want to reload you’re probably not shooting a lot of you have a ton of money you don’t mind spending.
Also the guys that think reloading is a hassle or a waste of time won’t be convinced otherwise. Same goes for casting (@andrew1220 ) 😈😘
If you can’t see it as a fun hobby and a cool way to pass time then no biggie you can buy ammo or components. I get it, it’s just not my thing.
I have more time than money and most of all I really enjoy reloading and casting and would probably do it even if I stopped shooting. Hell I haven’t had shit for range time in this last year but I sure haven’t stopped casting 😀

Back
Top Bottom