A Scary Thought

I've purchased handguns used but unfired. It is fairly common, especially with collectible guns. The last one I bought was a S&W Model 27. It is basically a Model 28 that is blued but unpolished . Called the Highway Patrolman, it was a less expensive alternative to the Model 28. It has almost a sort of grayish look to the bluing. It's a beautiful gun. Mine was made in 1972 and has the manual, box and tools. I also have others.

To carry a gun for protection and have not ever fired it is kind of like getting married first and then having sex with your new spouse, it maybe a decision you will regret for the rest of your life.

I'll tell you if I regret it after I get married.

Yes, I'm serious.

I'd like to add that sometimes making a seemingly small change to any part of your "tried and true" carry gun may affect it's reliability, and it should be test fired and proven again after such change.

Yup yup. If you haven't personally verified that it works with the cool new thingymajig on it, then you're leaving your well being to chance.

The only way I'd possibly believe a firearm is unfired is if you bought it new yourself, you have the original documentation and it's still covered in the grease it was shipped in. Then I'd believe it. Otherwise as I've stated, I'd be skeptical. An unfired firearm tends to have greater value, which most seller know. Hence why people put the statement on a firearm they are selling.

I know a guy who trades in or sells his old pistol for a new one at least once a week, shoots 3-4 times per year, but carries whatever he owns at the time. Do the math, that's a lot of unfired used guns; he's very impulsive. Sure, it's not exactly likely, but it's definitely possible.

Do you know what I carry?

I honestly didn't think you do at all. Do you?

I had a student who worked as a bartender in boston, carried an model 37. He never shot it, never cleaned it and when he brought it to my class it was rusted up solid

To carry a gun for protection and have not ever fired it is kind of like getting married first and then having sex with your new spouse, it maybe a decision you will regret for the rest of your life.

not a very good analogy in my opinion...... especially seeing as you are dealing with a diverse group of people here who may not share your beliefs on religeon or sex.

my 2 cents and nothing more...

now for the gun part :) I do agree with you. I would not carry a weapon without firing it either.

Rob

Last edited:
The big difference is that if you take the gun to the range for the first time and it preforms like it had done it a thousand times before, you'd be happy about it. Not so much with the wife.

Back
Top Bottom