A Scary Thought

paracarry

NES Member
This was a while back and I don't remember if it was in an NES forum or some other one. A person was selling a pistol and stated that it was like new never been fired, but had some spots that are worn from being carried. I hope the person isn't from this forum and I don't want to embarrass anyone, but that scares me. To carry a gun for protection and have not ever fired it is kind of like getting married first and then having sex with your new spouse, it maybe a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. Out of all the handguns I have and there are many only 3 have reached carry status and only after extensive shooting, I am working on others but I don't take them to the range as much. Any comments from others about what they do before they are comfortable with the gun they will be carrying, may help some of the folks who are new to CCW.

that is quite an analogy....

[laugh] yup

as for a carry gun, it definately needs to be shot A LOT... i like to put at least 500 rounds through any carry gun to ensure it feeds... with Glocks this is easy [smile]

then for carry ammo, i try to stick to the same kind and rotate it at least quarterly, sometimes more often... i like Remington Golden Sabre in 180gr and 165gr in .40 caliber or 230gr or 185gr in .45

i've also used Winchester Xteme without issues as a back up.

nothing like having a malfunction with a new gun at the range that you intend on carrying. it's like dropping your ice cream on the ground without getting a lick as a child [rofl]

before getting married i put at least 500... you know what, nevermind.

but, regarding what the OP is trying to say, i agree entirely. the only thing you're getting out of a never-fired carry gun is a false sense of security.

i am comfortable carrying after putting a few hundred rounds of the ammo i'm going to carry, and being completely comfortable with the manual of arms of the weapon system.

Last edited:
To carry a gun for protection and have not ever fired it is kind of like getting married first and then having sex with your new spouse, it maybe a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. .

Yep, it's much better to carry a gun that's been shot by all your friends or some random stranger that wants to "try her out" at the range.[rolleyes]

This was a while back and I don't remember if it was in an NES forum or some other one. A person was selling a pistol and stated that it was like new never been fired, but had some spots that are worn from being carried. I hope the person isn't from this forum and I don't want to embarrass anyone, but that scares me. To carry a gun for protection and have not ever fired it is kind of like getting married first and then having sex with your new spouse, it maybe a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. Out of all the handguns I have and there are many only 3 have reached carry status and only after extensive shooting, I am working on others but I don't take them to the range as much. Any comments from others about what they do before they are comfortable with the gun they will be carrying, may help some of the folks who are new to CCW.

But you carry a Para, so it like your spouse [STRIKE]is on the rag [/STRIKE] has a head ache all the time

gun vs marriage...

I would carry a gun without shooting it... from the store to my house or to the range.

I would not get married without hopping in the sack before hand. That would be unfair to anyone I would marry.

Yup, my new CZ will be a range-only gun until I reach 1000 rounds without malfunction of any kind. At around 500 now so should only be a week or so :)

I bought a m&p 9c with the idea that I would carry it when I got familiar with it. First trip to the range, the white dot in the front site fell out. You never know. I'll leave the marriage thing alone.

not only would i not carry something i hadnt shot, but i wouldnt carry anything that has malfunctioned on me (unless it was obviously the ammothat failed).

I'm alway very skeptical whenever someone is selling a gun that is "Unfired". I just don't buy it. Who owns a gun and never fires it? Plus if it's an older gun and the seller isn't the original owner you have to trust a number of people are not liars. I'm a pessimist at heart and think everyone is lying anyway. [wink][smile]

As to the OP, I would never carry a gun unfired. That's like getting a chinese massage without the happy ending! [laugh]

I'm alway very skeptical whenever someone is selling a gun that is "Unfired". I just don't buy it. Who owns a gun and never fires it? Plus if it's an older gun and the seller isn't the original owner you have to trust a number of people are not liars. I'm a pessimist at heart and think everyone is lying anyway. [wink][smile]

As to the OP, I would never carry a gun unfired. That's like getting a chinese massage without the happy ending! [laugh]

I have guns I've never fired.

Carrying a firearm you've never fired is just asking for a bad outcome.

I have guns I've never fired.

Carrying a firearm you've never fired is just asking for a bad outcome.

I have a rifle I bought new several years ago that has never been fired outside of the factory.

I'd like to add that sometimes making a seemingly small change to any part of your "tried and true" carry gun may affect it's reliability, and it should be test fired and proven again after such change.

Case in point, I carried a Walther PPK daily for about 10 years. I shot it quite a bit and I trusted it.
The OEM plastic grips began to show a lot of wear so I purchased a set of aftermarket Rosewood grips for it at a gun show. I installed the grips and continued to carry the gun for about 2 months before I got back to the range with it. When I did finally fire it with the new grips, I was in for a big surprise! The first shot went off fine, but the trigger wouldn't reset for the next shot.
WTF ????
I knew the only change I made was the grips, so I loosened the grips screws a bit and I heard a "click", then the trigger reset. I fired the gun a few more times with the grips screws loose, and everything worked just fine. I tightened them up again and the problem returned. It turned out to be inadequate inletting on the inside of the left grip panel, which was binding against some of the internal action parts. I got kind of a queasy feeling knowing that I was carrying what was effectively a "one shooter" for the previous 2 months.
[shocked]

I just figured in regards to the original post, that this was a policeman's gun.

As far as the rest, well, something about "frequent cleanings" comes to mind.

Sure you have...............

What the eff is that supposed to mean? You're suggesting I don't? I can think of 6 without even digging through my safes. Hell, I haven't even cleaned the cosmoline off the mosin I bought from the group buy. What was that? 2 years ago?

Are your bike shorts cutting off your circulation today?

Last edited:
What the eff is that supposed to mean? You're suggesting I don't? I can think of 6 without even digging through my safes. Hell, I haven't even cleaned the cosmoline off the mosin I bought from the group buy. What was that? 2 years ago?

Are your bike shorts cutting off your circulation today?

This is my point. A Mosin is in no way an "unfired" rifle. You may not have shot it, but there is no way you are going to be able to convince a potential buyer that this rifle was never shot. The only way I'd possibly believe a firearm is unfired is if you bought it new yourself, you have the original documentation and it's still covered in the grease it was shipped in. Then I'd believe it. Otherwise as I've stated, I'd be skeptical. An unfired firearm tends to have greater value, which most seller know. Hence why people put the statement on a firearm they are selling.

As to the OP, if a handgun had that amount of blue missing I would never believe that it was unfired. Even if it was a LE's gun, they still have to qualify with it. Hence, it is no longer unfired.

That is what I mean. As to bike shorts cutting off my circulation, I wish. I'm in NJ doing a cut, been up over 30 hours and ready to start beating some Avaya techs.

I can't go more than 2 weeks without firing my guns.

I never said I went without shooting. I just haven't shot them all. A few of them I have no intention of firing now, maybe never. Others, I just haven't gotten around to it. I haven't had much "fun" range time in quite awhile. When I go, it's typically to practice with my carry pistol, or for weapons qualifications. Lately, my shooting has been with only 4 firearms.

This is my point.

What do you mean, "This is my point"? You specifically stated:

II just don't buy it. Who owns a gun and never fires it?

I then said that I do. Why? Because I do own firearms that I've never fired. I answered your question, and established that your insinuation is inaccurate.

You said:

Sure you have...............

Which suggests I'm a liar. Not so. You then come back with some lame explanation of it HAS been fired, just not by me. First, that wasn't what you said. You were quite specific. Second, I also own firearms that I purchased NIB and haven't fired yet.

So, regardless what song you're dancing to, it's still off beat.

Last edited:
But you carry a Para, so it like your spouse [STRIKE]is on the rag [/STRIKE] has a head ache all the time

My Para is reliable. You just have to tune them until they are. My P14+1 .45 acp is as reliable or better than anything you carry. [wink]

I never said I went without shooting. I just haven't shot them all. A few of them I have no intention of firing now, maybe never. Others, I just haven't gotten around to it. I haven't had much "fun" range time in quite awhile. When I go, it's typically to practice with my carry pistol, or for weapons qualifications. Lately, my shooting has been with only 4 firearms.

What do you mean, "This is my point"? You specifically stated:

I then said that I do. Why? Because I do own firearms that I've never fired. I answered your question, and established that your insinuation is inaccurate.

You said:

Which suggests I'm a liar. Not so. You then come back with some lame explanation of it HAS been fired, just not by me. First, that wasn't what you said. You were quite specific. Second, I also own firearms that I purchased NIB and haven't fired yet.

So, regardless what song you're dancing to, it's still off beat.

[rolleyes] Wouldn't matter what I said as you'd find argument if I said water was wet. Notice you didn't say a word about your "unfired" Mosin. You'res must be the special kind of unfired mosin. You know, the kind that only exists in your head.

[rolleyes] Wouldn't matter what I said as you'd find argument if I said water was wet. Notice you didn't say a word about your "unfired" Mosin. You'res must be the special kind of unfired mosin. You know, the kind that only exists in your head.

Water is wet.

I'm sorry I made fun of your bike shorts. I didn't know you were going to hold a grudge about it and cry for the next month. If you're comfortable looking like a moron, who cares what I think? I'm glad you're happy.

I didn't mention my "unfired mosin" because, as I clearly pointed out, it was irrelevant to either of our initial statements. My mosin is not unfired. It's unfired by me, which was the POINT of the discussion when you CLEARLY stated "I don't buy it. Who owns a gun and never fires it?". I answered your question. I have firearms that have been fired by others, but not by me. I have firearms I purchased NIB and never fired. You don't have to like my answer, but that doesn't make it any less factual.

Back
Top Bottom