a tale of 2 ARs - very long, lots of pics

i just built 2 lowers from stripped receivers and had uppers assembled for them. one carbine and one rifle, both flat tops. first up the carbine.

i built on a global tactical/denny's guns ( http://globaltactical.com/ )lower with a Stag LPK. i had a small problem with my order, but Denny took care of it. (thanks denny, sorry i was an ass.) he's good to deal with, but 1 caveat - be prepared to use the phone for questions/concerns, email was slow. the slowness was probably because he was at the SHOT show when i had a problem. when i finally picked up the phone everything was quickly and politely handled. i avoid the phone because i have MS which affects my speech. the lower came and was grey, i was a little disappointed, but very well made. it's my first AR and i wanted the color match to be better. a little searching on www.ar15.com revealed the lower was dry and soaking in CLP would fix it. i did a soak and WOW, the lower is a beautiful satin black. in the future any builds i do will be on a global tac lower. well made by stag to Denny's specs. he spec'd the finish and it is awesome. i used a stag LPK but substitute JP reduced power trigger/ hammer, and disconnecter springs. the stock is a model 1 sales ( http://www.model1sales.com/ ) "fixed" carbine stock. not sure if the wrong item was shipped, but i got a 2 position collapsible stock. we still have an AWB in MA, so to make it compliant i installed a blind pin. i also installed an H1 buffer and rubber but pad. i couldn't get a comfortable grip with the A2 grip, so it was replaced with an ERGO ambi grip, plug, and gapper.

the upper was built by PK firearms ( http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/start.aspx ) they were fantastic to deal with. answered my emails promptly, followed up on work orders with updates, really helped me with this build. the barrel is a Bushmaster ultra light , YHM railed gasblock, ARMS 40 L-SP rear sight, YHM allow flip front sight, an old EOTech HOLOsite (from like 1997, before Bushnell got involved.)
IMGP0349.jpg

IMGP0354.jpg

it also has a KKF FFS ( http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm ) permanently attached. i wanted an AWB compliant muzzle device that wouldn't increase muzzle blast. Kurt's fit the requirements so i sent it along with a 20" HBAR to be re-profiled. the work he did and quality of the FFS was superb. he also helped me with a custom profile to fit my needs, i highly recommend his work and products.
IMGP0364.jpg
the B/BC are DPMS Ti/N parts. just because i wanted a little bling, no functional reason.

IMGP0354.jpg

this is my new baby:
IMGP0344.jpg

Shooting Impressions
all shooting was with American Eagle .223 55 gr. FMJ. this is the first time i have spent any significant time shooting an AR. i did shoot an M-16 at a MG shoot once. [grin] i was worried about "violent" recoil others had mentioned the recoil of a carbine gas system is "violent" compared to a rifle system. comparing my rifle to this, i really couldn't feel much difference. i only fired 90 rds, enough to sight in the holosight and BUIS. the holosight is old and the adjustments seemed inconsistent at first, maybe it just took time for me to get used to shooting an AR. by the time i dialed it in,i was shooting 1 hole groups at 10 yds. my eyesight sucks, hence the short distance. the iron sights were a problem. windage with the ARMS was easily accomplished, but i was 3-4" low at 10 yds. adjusting a few clicks without a sight tool is fine, but i have a lot to move. PK firearms is sending me a sight tool via mail, saving me shipping charges. they are fantastic people. i've talked with them on the phone a couple times, but mostly via email. they have been very responsive and helpful, i can't say enough good things about them. i found from the firing end it was "all bark, no bite." lots of noise (i was at an indoor range) and light recoil. the trigger was gritty at first, but after the first mag, it smoothed up and lightened up, i like the trigger a lot now. i did have 1 stoppage, on rd #2. some how the round got stripped from the mag, but skipped out of the extractor so the bolt didn't close. didn't fire out of battery. i operated the charging handle, letting the bolt slam on the round, operated it again to eject the round. loaded the round in the mag after inspecting it and proceeded to fire 89 rds without any problems. i figure it was a shooter induced error, being my first time behind the trigger. for s@#$ and grins i rate this gun right up there with the M1 carbine, its that good IMO.

20" lightweight
this lower is a Rock River Arms lower with RRA LPK, a RRA fake collapsible buttstock (rifle length buffer tube, buffer, action spring.) it also has a Command Arms stock saddle, rubber but pad, JP reduced power springs and an ERGO suregrip kit. this grip kit is the same shape as the carbine, but rubber instead of plastic. i find the rubber gets stuck on clothes and prefer the regular grip.
IMGP0397.jpg

IMGP0394.jpg

the barrel started out life as a Bushmaster HBAR 1x9 twist. i sent it to KKF to be re-profiled. working with Kurt, he came up with something to fit my needs. it started out with me giving an idea of what i wanted, with proper questions, he figured out what i wanted. he is a total gentleman, politely asking, very responsive and doing great work. the final profile is light under the handguards, 0.750 at the FSB, light in front, plain muzzle.
IMGP0413.jpg

IMGP0411.jpg
i topped off the rifle with a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9x40 scope. it fits my needs and is inexpensive. i don't hunt and don't know of any handicapped accessible ranges over 100 yds.
IMGP0403.jpg

IMGP0392.jpg

Shooting impressions
unfortunately, i carefully lined up the scope cross-hairs vertically, but managed to leave the rings loose enough for it to rotate a few degrees. i put 1 30 rd mag though with no stoppages. the gun is stable and easy to fire and the scope hit the paper (thankfully, i didn't bore-sight it.) i much rather the lighter and handier carbine, but am happy with this build also.

What is the reason for getting a barrel turned down? Is it just to save weight?

yeah, just saving weight. i think it balances better now too. but i hadit done just to save weight. i'm not looking for ultimate accuracy and reducing heat effect, just a lightweight plinker.

Back
Top Bottom