A trusted Pa. gun-control ally ... and NRA spy?

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080801_A_...___and_NRA_spy_.html

A trusted Pa. gun-control ally ... and NRA spy?

By Jeff Shields

Inquirer Staff Writer
Mary McFate was the kind of volunteer the gun-control movement in Pennsylvania prized. By all accounts, she was dedicated and diligent, humble enough to stuff envelopes yet bold enough to lobby U.S. senators.

Now it seems that the CeaseFire PA board member may have been more versatile than anyone could have imagined. According to Mother Jones magazine, she was a spy for the National Rifle Association.

Mother Jones reported that McFate was in fact Mary Lou Sapone, who made headlines in the 1990 when it was revealed that she had been hired by a surgical-equipment company to infiltrate the animal-rights movement.

As McFate, the magazine reported, Sapone covertly infiltrated gun-control groups for more than a decade and received payment from private security firms and the NRA.

During that time, she inserted herself into some of the most important gun-control organizations in the country and was part of discussions on national strategy and policy.

She lived in Grove City, Pa. - between Pittsburgh and Erie - and apparently moved to Florida several years ago.

As evidence of Sapone's role, the magazine cited a 2003 deposition by Tim Ward, former president of the Maryland-based security firm Beckett Brown International. Ward testified that he hired Sapone to gather intelligence for the NRA, according to the article.

How did the magazine connect McFate to Sapone? It called McFate's home phone number and asked for Sapone. The woman who answered acknowledged that she was Sapone, the magazine said. Phone listings show both names at that number.

Attempts to reach McFate/Sapone at her home phone in Sarasota, Fla., or by e-mail were unsuccessful. The NRA did not return requests for comment.

Phil Goldsmith, president of CeaseFire PA, said he had also tried to reach McFate after publication of the Mother Jones article Wednesday, to no avail. He said he would ask the 17-member board to remove McFate in the next 10 days if he did not hear from her.

"If I wasn't 63 years old and seen a lot in my life, I would have been shocked," said Goldsmith, a veteran of city politics as managing director to Mayor John F. Street.

The Freedom States Alliance, a coalition of nine gun-control organizations from New England to Minnesota, decided not to wait to hear from McFate; the group threw her off its board yesterday by conference call.

"She was in the room for discussions about what legislative goals would be set, what the strategy would be to pursue those goals, and was, it appears, being paid to share that information with the gun lobby," said Freedom States Alliance board member Angus McQuilken. "It is shameful."

McQuilken and others were quick to criticize, and to mock, the NRA.

"It's surprising that the NRA had nothing better to do but put a mole into an organization such as CeaseFire PA," said City Councilwoman Donna Reed Miller, who is locked in a legal battle with the state over gun-control legislation she cosponsored with Councilman Darrell Clarke. "It must mean they're afraid of something."

"It shows what radical ideologues have to do when they don't have the public or citizens on their side. They cheat," said Joe Grace, executive director for CeaseFire PA.

But the overriding emotion yesterday seemed to be not outrage but befuddlement at how McFate, seemingly one of the more militant members of the movement, could have pulled it off - and why.

"She must be very good at what she does, because a whole bunch of very smart people were completely hoodwinked by this," said Diane Edbril, CeaseFire PA's executive director between 2004 and 2007.

Edbril hosted McFate at her Radnor home in July 2007, when McFate flew up from her home in Sarasota to attend a CeaseFire PA board meeting.

"She was in my guest room. Was she looking through stuff in my house?" Edbril was asking herself yesterday.

Ona Hamilton, whose local Million Mom March group evolved into CeaseFire PA in 2002, asked McFate to be on CeaseFire PA's first board. McFate at the time was a board member for Pennsylvanians Against Handgun Violence. Hamilton said McFate would rail against her fellow board members in that organization for being too soft on the NRA, Hamilton said.

McFate did so much grunt work and provided so many helpful ideas that both Hamilton and Edbril suggested that, spy or not, she may have been a positive influence.

"I actually think she helped the movement rather than hurt the movement through all her volunteer efforts," Hamilton said. "I just don't see what she could have gained in terms of damaging information."

Hamilton last spoke to her friend in 2005, when McFate was trying to get elected to the national board of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Hamilton voted for her; McFate still lost.

Bryan Miller, executive director of Ceasefire NJ, first met McFate in 1998, when she was in Philadelphia protesting an NRA meeting.

"We thought she was sort of a flake and not so bright, but hardworking and ready to show up for anything," Miller said.

"But she was always there, when I think about it," Hamilton said.

"She was always there."

attachment.php

"She must be very good at what she does, because a whole bunch of very smart people were completely hoodwinked by this," said Diane Edbril, CeaseFire PA's executive director between 2004 and 2007.

Look who's talking here- Gun control, and "very smart people"? If that isn't a contradiction in terms, I don't know what is.

-Mike

It shows what radical ideologues have to do when they don't have the public or citizens on their side.

No, it shows what outraged citizens' rights organizations sometimes feel they have to do when their constituents' rights are threatened by the plans and machinations of cabals that meet and plot behind closed doors.

There they are, crying in there soymilk, about a 'mole' infultrating their club.

Don't you people see, all of their gun control laws would work. All you would have to do is tell the criminal that what they are doing is wrong, slap them on the butt with a rolled up newspaper and all would be well. Happy-Happy, joy-joy. Then we can sit around a mock campfire (cuz we all know that real fires cause the release of to many carbons in the atmosphere) and sing "We are the World" played on our acoustic guitars that are made out of recycle cardboard (we wouldn't want to have something that involved the vicious killing of innocent trees).

...is it really that easy to tap into the minds of these idiots?

"It's surprising that the NRA had nothing better to do but put a mole into an organization such as CeaseFire PA," said City Councilwoman Donna Reed Miller, who is locked in a legal battle with the state over gun-control legislation she cosponsored with Councilman Darrell Clarke. "It must mean they're afraid of something."

It's surprising that people "had nothing better to do" than protect a civil right? Really? Howsabout the NRA being "afraid" of people looking to circumvent the Constitution and thereby denying them the basic rights they're supposed to have as citizens? See, these are the kinds of people decent Democrats want to slap the stupid out of. The ignorance delivered as smug horseshit absolutely appalls me.

Gun-control groups fear top activist was NRA spy

Link here

By MARYCLAIRE DALE, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - A gun-control activist who championed the cause for more than a decade and served on the boards of two anti-violence groups is suspected of working as a paid spy for the National Rifle Association, and now those organizations are expelling her and sweeping their offices for bugs.

The suggestion that Mary Lou McFate was a double agent is contained in a deposition filed as part of a contract dispute involving a security firm. The muckraking magazine Mother Jones, in a story last week, was the first to report on McFate's alleged dual identity.

The NRA refused to comment to the magazine and did not respond to calls Tuesday from The Associated Press. Nor did McFate.

The 62-year-old former flight attendant and sex counselor from Sarasota, Fla., is not new to the world of informants.

She infiltrated an animal-rights group in the late 1980s at the request of U.S. Surgical, and befriended an activist who was later convicted in a pipe bomb attack against the medical-supply business, U.S. Surgical acknowledged in news reports at the time. U.S. Surgical had come under fire for using dogs for research and training.

McFate resurfaced in Pennsylvania and has since spent years as an unpaid board member of CeaseFirePA and an organization called States United to Prevent Gun Violence. She also twice pushed unsuccessfully to join the board of the nation's largest gun-control group, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

"It raises some real concerns with the tactics of the NRA. If they've got one person, maybe they have more. If they've done this dirty trick, what else have they done?" said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign, which planned to search its offices for listening devices and computer spyware.

The Brady Campaign and other groups said they are also researching whether McFate's alleged spying constituted a crime.

"Under some circumstances, it could be trespass," said Laurie Levenson, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles and a former prosecutor. But "if they're open meetings, it may be underhanded and sneaky; it may not be illegal."

At States United, McFate served as federal legislation director, meeting with members of Congress on Capitol Hill and writing letters. Over the years, she also stuffed envelopes, attended rallies and took part in conference calls and strategy sessions.

In retrospect, Helmke said, he now realizes McFate stopped by the Washington office for meetings and conference calls that could have been handled by phone, and perhaps pushed too hard to join the board or lobby Congress.

But as for any secrets she might have been privy to, the gun-control groups said they have little to hide, since they put their message and information about their budgets on the Web.

The allegations against McFate stem from a lawsuit brought against officials with Beckett Brown International, a now-defunct security firm based in Maryland. A former beer distributor who bankrolled the firm accused them of defrauding him.

Boxes of documents filed in the dispute reveal that McFate worked as a subcontractor for Beckett Brown and that the firm's clients included the NRA. And they show that McFate billed the firm for unspecified intelligence-gathering services, submitting among other things a request for a $4,500-a-month retainer in 1999.

The documents also reveal that McFate — that is her maiden name; her married name is Mary Lou Sapone — tried to get daughter-in-law Montgomery Sapone hired by Beckett Brown. Montgomery Sapone worked as an intern at Brady Campaign headquarters in 2003, the gun-control group said.

John Dodd III, the Maryland beer distributor who bankrolled Beckett Brown, told the AP that he did not condone the infiltration of activist groups.

Bryan Miller, executive director of Ceasefire NJ, said he feels betrayed by McFate. Miller's brother, an FBI agent, was shot to death in 1994.

"To have somebody that I consider a friend, have been with dozens of times, shared meals with, treated as a friend, to have her be an employee, a subcontracted spy for the NRA, is just mind-boggling. It's so venal," Miller said. "In the battle of ideas with the gun lobby, we're at a constant disadvantage because we're honest."

Timothy Ward, a former Beckett Brown principal who said in a sworn statement that McFate worked for the firm, declined comment Tuesday through a person who answered the phone at his new company, Chesapeake Strategies Group. The NRA now uses that firm for intelligence-gathering, another Chesapeake official said in a deposition.

The CeaseFirePA leadership plans a vote Friday on whether to expel McFate, a board member for seven years.

"I feel flattered that the NRA would feel that they would have to infiltrate Ceasefire of PA. Obviously, they're hearing our footsteps," said Phil Goldsmith, the group's president. "Frankly, I think it's a waste of their money. We don't deal in state secrets."

"To have somebody that I consider a friend, have been with dozens of times, shared meals with, treated as a friend, to have her be an employee, a subcontracted spy for the NRA, is just mind-boggling. It's so venal," Miller said. "In the battle of ideas with the gun lobby, we're at a constant disadvantage because we're honest."

[rofl] [laugh2] That's funny shit right there- considering there is a lie built into that statement. If anyone is "lying" about something, it's them. They're constantly on the lookout for a means to commit informational fraud in some form or another.

Further, the fact that they are willing to say this much about it shows that, indeed, they probably do have something to hide.

I am guessing the NRA probably planted this lady to see if she could uncover another MMM scandal like Jim March + co. did. (IIRC, they were
running their crap out of a hospital, and possibly breaking some federal tax codes trying to use a ponzi scheme with their 501c(3) status. Shortly
thereafter they imploded and Soros + pals had to pick up the tab.

She might also have been trying to investigate the monetary relationships between these anti gun groups- I'm fairly certain that most of them have
a money trail that ends up going back to George Soros, but they likely use a well-concealed scheme to disguise the transactions. It would be a
big coup for the NRA if it could be 110% verified that Soros is undewriting most of these things; it would make these organizations appear a lot
smaller than they try to lead people to believe; Most of them are "hot air balloons" more or less. (Large and obnoxious in appearance, but empty
inside).

-Mike

Last edited:
And they are outraged !

Anyone care to guess how many of their 'spies' they send to gun shows or have as NRA members ?

Indeed! Remember Josh Sugarman is one of two FFLs in DC . . . strictly for the purpose of infiltrating gun shows!

Well, we know where McQuilken is now.

Well, that answers that most important question . . .

Where's the Beef! [rofl]

"In the battle of ideas with the gun lobby, we're at a constant disadvantage because we're honest."

I read this in there, funny how the stats dont say the same as they do.

I note that Laurie Levenson, who alleges that such actions might be a "trespass" or sneaky, represented the DAs in their brief supporting Washington, DC in the Heller case.

In other words, she is a reliable anti-gun lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom