AAR Combative Shotgun @ Ridgeline Defense 25-26 May 2024

AAR "Combative Shotgun" @ Ridgeline Defense Dalton,NH Combative Shotgun - Ridgeline Defense 25&26 May 2024
AndyinNH and I along with 12 other students attended Ridgeline Shooting first Combative Shotgun Class. The Primary Instructor was the shotgun SME and the AI admitted he had little actual shotgun real world use. Both where excellent and provided demo, coaching, tips, and feedback throughout the course.
The course was 0900-1700 each day. One hour for lunch. The ranges were excellent. We actually used all 4 of their primary ranges over the two days.
Both Days started with Classroom for a couple of hours.
Range
Zeroed with slugs. Shooting slugs in prone on pea gravel is not fun. Over the two days we shot various paper and steel targets out to greater than 100yds with slugs.
As most of you know or could guess shotgun classes are reloading classes. Keeping the tubular magazine topped off is essential to stay in a prolonged fight. How realistic is that for home defense? Probably not that big of concern. We shot various drills shot one, load one, shoot four load four you get it. Bird shot was shot on steel no closer than 5 yds. Slug change out drills shifting from shot to slug because targets where out of shot range.
We patterned 00 buck on paper back to 40yds. I was using Federal elite control 8 pellets from a Beretta 1301 cylinder choke. Following pictures of my results. The 40 yd was left because of me. This is really good information would I shoot at a target at 40yds? Depending on the background yup. Shot buck on movers not sure of range.
7yds I think AndyinNH can hopefully correct if I am wrong on the first two. I didn't start marking until 15yds.
1717063985769.jpeg
This is 10yds
1717064015332.jpeg

1717065289634.jpeg

1717065324020.jpeg

1717065355860.jpeg
1717065382330.jpeg
I didn't get any pictures but guys shooting non Flite control buck tended to go out of the zone around 15-20 yds.
The PI did demo on car door penetrations with buck and slug. Slugs did well buck was hit or miss and not recommended for this application if you have a choice. Copper plated better than lead. Slugs Brenneke and Federal LE Tactical TRUBALL Deep penetrator recommend for punching through barriers. The PI also did a shotgun breach of door and answered questions.
Equipment
This is what I brought to support the shotgun and pistol.
SOB pistol mag pouch, Milt Sparks SS2 IWB holster this was used when I wasn't wearing the shooters /range belt.
Mayflower GenIII? Chest rig I carried 6 Aridus Industries carriers Detachable Carrier one each in the open M4 mag pockets with the shock cord retainers removed, the remaining two in the "radio" pocket on the right side. With one on the carrier on the shotgun I had 42 rounds plus whatever the drill called for in the tube. Is this a realistic real world shotgun ammo load out? If you are a breacher maybe. It works well in the training context. The two center pistol mag pouches each had a pistol mag. One of the front utility pouches I had a bottle of lube. I wore this both days.
Lawrence Leather shotgun cartridge/shell belt. Probably 40 yrs old. I carried this in my patrol bag back when I was a Reserve Deputy in San Diego 82-85. It holds 25 rounds I wear it above the pistol belt with buckle to the rear. I only used it the first day with chest rig.
Shooters/range belt horizontal TQ pouch, First Spear double pistol mag, Spiritus Spud(I usually have a first Spear single M4 pouch but the kydex liner doesn't work with the Aridus carrier the Spud will carry two. I never used them I kept them in my chest rig.) CSM dump pouch(didn't use it) Mayflower IFAK, SPUD Pouch, TQ, Safariland

1717065448710.jpeg

Shotgun is Langdon Tactical prepped 1301 LTT 1301 Shotgun w/ LTT Trigger Job if your budget allows I highly recommend. I have an older H1 with a 4MOA dot on the Airbus Co witness mount. Surefire Fury light, Airbus detachable ammo carrier, SOB sling, last is something I thought was a competition gimmick but have since changed my mind that black thing on the rear of the frond a Matchsaver. Great for slug switch outs!! Pistol Glock 19.
I think there were only 3 pumps in the class. One was a police trade in Mossberg. Once the guy running it got it figured out did really well. I think the other two where 870s. I don't know what all the semis were. Pumps require extra work around barracades, slug switch, and one handed operation. Saw at least one student lose a pistol out of his holster while running may of been two. Make sure your holster retains your weapon.
1717065472561.jpeg

Final thoughts.
Glad I went!! Learned a lot especially from my mistakes. There was a recommendation for the EZ8 loader. I wish I had gotten one prior to class to run.

Back
Top Bottom