Accidental discharge consequences.........

Also, I'd have some of those construction 22 rounds and a half started project in the basement to be able to explain it away :D

There is a theory that people usually ignore the first gunshot, they think it's a car backfire or something else completely innocent.

I have a neighbor who popped a few off in his back yard into the base of a tree. We live in a kind of dense suburban area, certainly no 500 fee from a dwelling. No one came.

If they did come, the response to their inquiry would probably have been "hey I don't know...kids with firecrackers I guess".

and yeah, my neighbor is kind of an idiot.

Whelp, we know that a Framingham Police officer can shoot and kill an innocent man and return to work without even being disciplined- no harm/no foul. We know that a State Trooper can shoot a woman while hunting and walk away. What else do we need to know?

In the case of the Framingham officer, the DA was talking about the possibility of "an accident for which no charges are appropriate" while, at the same, time, prosecuting a kid who shot his friend in the head with a BB in what even the police were calling an "accident".

As to the state cop - he did not "walk away", but rendered assistance after he shot that woman with the black powder gun.

And, you are forgetting the case of the state cop who left his gun where a kid got a hold of it, and managed to have the case disposed of without becoming a PP for life.

In before someone calls it "negligent" instead of "accident"

Hope you're neighbors think it was a firework or something hah

Must be fun patching the hole also if that happens [laugh]

I always have fireworks on hand for this (and other) reason

Instructions for Negligent Discharge:

Place firearm in safe.

Lock Safe.

Watch this video:

Note: Telling the police that you don't know anything about it, or that you did not hear anything would constitute a crime by itself.

Mass General Laws Chapter 269 Section 13B.

... Whoever, directly or indirectly, willfully ......misleads ... another person who is ... ... a ... police officer ... with the intent to impede, obstruct, delay, harm, punish or otherwise interfere thereby, or do so with reckless disregard, with such a proceeding shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 and one-half years or by imprisonment in a state prison for not more than 10 years, or by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say your neighbor hears the shot and calls the cops... "No idea what they're talking about officer, the noise certainly didn't come from here. Have a nice day."

Or am I missing something here? If you let one fly out of the house and into the neighbor's car, that's a different story - hard to play dumb with that one. But as long as it stays in your house, I don't see how LEOs would know unless you incriminate yourself.

This would be my inclination on what to say should something like this ever arise. But my thought would be that the cops next question would be do you have firearms in the house. "Yes officer I do." Then the officer says "do you mind if I see them".................. then what?

Havent watched the video yet, started too but noticed it is rather long.............have to wait until later to watch it.

But my thought would be that the cops next question would be do you have firearms in the house. "Yes officer I do." Then the officer says "do you mind if I see them".................. then what?

Havent watched the video yet, started too but noticed it is rather long.............have to wait until later to watch it.
Do you have firearms?
I don't answer any questions.

Or, if you say yes, and they ask to see them:
No, you may not.

Definitely watch the video, it's worth the time.

Not sure why everyone is assuming any ND is taking place at home.

It may be more likely, or more common to happen at home, but what if it happens in a public area?

What if home is an apartment or condo?

your ramset or firecracker excuse isn't going to help you there.

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone is assuming any ND is taking place at home.

It may be more likely, or more common to happen at home, but what if it happens in a public area?

What if home is an apartment or condo?

your ramset or firecracker excuse isn't going to help you there.

I light off fireworks in public places all the time

So I am watching an episode of COPS [smile]...........yeah I watch cops and it got me thinking. If you live in MA and you accidentally discharge your firearm what would be the consequences? Could you cont on losing your LTC for ever????

Hasnt happened...........I was just wondering.

Was it the crazy old guy who claimed it was a slamfire? That episode always perplexed me.

Does that include restaurants, stores, shopping malls, parking lots, etc?

parking lots yes, the rest.... not as of this moment but I don't like to limit my horizons

I do get what you meant. it sure would be tough to fake a ND when people saw it. I am sure depending on where you were and where you live, your fate would not be kind

A "friend" of mine had one in NH. In his house. 9mm Bullet went through bedroom closet into Bathroom Closet through closet door and bathroom door (it was open and against the closet door) through a wall into another bedroom and stopped in the outside wall of the house before it surprised a neighbor. No one outside heard or reported it, so it never happened.

If you have a ND in your house the first thing you do is run out into your front yard and look really confused as to where the sound came from while looking at all your neighbors properties !

If you have the "accident" and the cops show up, your inability to hear what they're asking you might be a bit of a give away.

"What officer??? I can't hear you, can you speak louder... I was just in the basement using a Ramset without any sort of hearing protection..." [laugh]

At least with the fireworks you can claim you f'ed up throwing them (I guess)

Back
Top Bottom