Adjusting a 5 pin bow sight

So i have been practicing whenever i can am i am sinking all my arrows dead nuts bulls eye everytime on every target on my foam block from 10 yards .. its almost scary how accurate. And I feel a little dumb asking this but i have a 5 pin sight and in using the top/1st pin for 10 yards with supreme accuracy. i havent touched ANY of the pins out of the box .. do i just leave then cause they other 4 are already set to 20,30,40 and 50 yards ? the last pin is like 1/2 an inch lower then the forth. OR is it on me to adjust them as necessary? Im actually afraid to touch them in case i mess them up because i dont know what i am doing, they seem really close together, so are they good out the box or do they need manual tweaking ?

Depending on the brand there should be Allen head screws that allow for slidig the pins up and down. I shoot with a G5 4 pin and that's what I have with the 4th pin having a dial adjustment. Also it depends on your arrows weight and your draw weight. Arrow follow and arch like bullets and you need to adjust the pin for it. More than likley your 10 and 20 yd pins are pretty close I can shoot 10&20 with the same pin

Just do it. Shoot a 30 yard groups with the 30 yard pin and adjust as necessary. Repeat with the other pins. Get used to doing it, as the point of impact will change with arrow weight and other factors. The best thing to do is jump right in and learn. You will look back and wonder what you were worried about.

You will probably need to adjust every pin. Now that you are sighted for 10 yards, move on to the 20 and so on. You should find that the spacing between the pins gets progressively larger the further the yardage as the arrow will lose kinetic energy and thus drop more.

@ 01bmf... yes im from westboro living in grafton, im not scared persay .. i guess i just dont know what to do .. but it seems like i move the pins down seeing as the first one is set and the only place for the others to go is down cause i wouldnt want to move them up and change where the first pin sits ? I wasnt sure if there was a factory setting or something. I mean i literally have zero instruction on this , i have managed to get the major sighting in and down ... i am sure it is alot easier than i think it is and i just need to visualize it but suprisingly there is very little video online in regards to moving of the pins

Shoot a group with one pin. If the group is low, move the pin down a bit and try again. If it is high, move the pin up a bit and try again. Remember, lowering your pin raises where the arrow hits. Raising the pin lowers where the arrow hits. There is no real factory setting because the settings can change based on draw weight, arrow size and weight, and many other factors. Set the top pin for your closest range, usually ~10 yards and the pins below it for increasing distances. My pins are set for 15, 25, 30, 35, and 40 yards. That's just the way I like them.

Follow the arrow's impact with the pin for that distance and so on. Done and done.

your first pin should be set at 20 yards not ten. if you move back to 20 yards are you still hitting what you want. If some are landing and some are not its would seem like a form issue. Once your hitting good at 20 yards move to 30. Anything past 30 yards with a bow in a hunting situation is pretty far. I think you should be able to shoot 10, 15 and 20 yard shots with your first pin.

Your thinking about it right, but to answer your question you may need to move your pins. they are not set up for 20,30,40,50. It might turn out that they are, but most likely when you get to the point where you are shooting at 30 yards you will need to move your pin.

Not sure of your hunting set up, but if it's local and from a tree-stand a 50 yard shot at a deer is remote. IMO during low light a gang of pins will block your sight picture and/or at least be confusing i.e. which pin do I choose. I typically run one pin zeroed at 20 yards. Another option is to run 2 pins ( 1 at 20 ) then the second pin at say 30+. With practice you can use the gap in-between the pins for shots in the 20-30 yards range depending on how flat your bow shoots.. By the way, which bow did you end up buying ?

You will probably need to adjust every pin. Now that you are sighted for 10 yards, move on to the 20 and so on. You should find that the spacing between the pins gets progressively larger the further the yardage as the arrow will lose kinetic energy and thus drop more.

X2

The other thing to consider is measuring the distance. Most ranges have measured pins or markers in place and are fairly accurate BUT I always used my range finder to verify and determine the distance as I carry the range finder into the field and what that says for the distance is all that really matters.

Bob

thanks guys , i dont think im articulating this properly but i understand everything your saying . My first pin is in for all intents in the center of the ring they look something like this ...

.----
.----
.----

.----

.----

It came like this .. so in noob fashion i adjusted the up and down and left to right until i was able to put about 100 shots in a baseball size ring at around 10 yards. Was i suppose to right off the bat move the first pin up giving roon in the ring to adjust all of them because as it stands they are quiet close together and hey can only really go down unless i move the first in up... down this make since or am i typing jibberish? .. BTW i got a martin exile .. i like it quiet a bit

Obviously it is hard to tell on the Internet but IIRC my 20 was above the center line of the circle. After some practice you should be able to put the arrows in a quarter sized hole at 10 yards. I used to shoot a baseball sized hole at 40 and 50 yards. Granted I practiced a lot.

It is generally bad to hit carbon arrows with other arrows as they can crack and if you shoot an arrow that is cracked really bad things can happen. You should flex your arrows regularly to make sure that they are ok.

Damn I miss shooting a vert.

Bob

Yes the farther out you shoot the more gap you'll have tween the pins. Like most have questioned you won't need five pins for hunting around here. I set one pin at 22 yards on my bow tech and I'm shooting 0-35 if i hold a touch high at 35. Way less confusing at the shot and you can really focus on the one pin. For targets add some long pins but most of today's bows with carbon shoot 0- 30 on one pin unless you using super heavy arrow.

iv got them all finally set for 10-50 yards all shots using the pins are center in the ring shots, consistently. I tried to set it up as 10/20/25/30/35.. but i found it all too jumbled when only going by increments of 5 yrds and basicly the pins where just all too close together, but in drilling bulls eyes 10-50 yrds. I find that there tends to be a threshold to how many arrows i can shoot in a session and after about 125 arrows my arm is so fatigued that it really effects my shot, also i think im gonna use a kisser button to improve and assist my muscle memory, thanks for all the info

iv got them all finally set for 10-50 yards all shots using the pins are center in the ring shots, consistently. I tried to set it up as 10/20/25/30/35.. but i found it all too jumbled when only going by increments of 5 yrds and basicly the pins where just all too close together, but in drilling bulls eyes 10-50 yrds. I find that there tends to be a threshold to how many arrows i can shoot in a session and after about 125 arrows my arm is so fatigued that it really effects my shot, also i think im gonna use a kisser button to improve and assist my muscle memory, thanks for all the info

Yes you are human and it takes effort to pull back a bow and hold it, I held at full draw on a nice buck just waiting for him to take the two steps out of the mountain laurel. He never did but i held that ****ing bow till my arm just started shaking and dropping, it sucked hard.

I don't like kisser buttons

I think a kisser will work great for you. It will give you another anchor point, thus making you shoot more consistent. Your anchor points are very important in shooting. They have to be the same every time. The more, the better.

Augustus,

I have been bowhunting for almost 40 years now and have made every mistake possible, at least twice!!!!!!! If you are new to archery and especially to bowhunting, then ditch the 5 pin site and get something simple (3 pin at the most). Trust me, shooting foam is a piece of cake.......lining up on a deer that is sneaking through the woods while your heartbeat is pounding in your head like a sledgehammer and you are shaking like a leaf, is a totally different experience!!!!!!!!! Most newbies with numerous pins get confused when they have a shot opportunity and stick one in the dirt or launch their arrow several feet over the deer's back.

Just my advice.....you will learn through your own experiences.

Back
Top Bottom