AKM build

it really should be fine, AK builder kits are always top notch.

seconding the "**** it buy a trigger guard", that ragged stump of metal there would be fun to work with. that's of course the secondary option when "get drunk and go at it with power tools" doesn't work of course.

Scott makes a jig for demilling TGs. Back in the golden years when I had kits stacked like cordwood and demilling a half dozen kits in a day was not unusual, it came in handy.

So thought nothing if it but while I was holding my trigger guard in my gloved hand not realizing how hot it was I went to take my glasses off and accidently touched it to my face haha. Didn't think anything of it till this morning.

Haha I woke up at the station and had a dark mark on my face and tried to scrub it off forgetting I burned my face and yea scrubbed my skin off haha

Well receiver ordered and gona order the Small parts today. Anyone have experience with the Magpul AK grip? I'm in between that and the US palm grip. Other than that its either bum tool off people if anyone would loan em or figure it out. Maybe give the tooth tool stuff a try.

When I was building my kits, Toth was backordered several months, so I made my own. I got the $17 Harbor Freight bolt cutters and took an angle grinder to them until they looked like the Toth jaws.

It took a little fine tuning with a dremel to get the rivet head socket just right, but it ended up doing a decent job.

I wasn't really going for looks, and I just did the long rivets in the rear with a ball peen hammer.

I would love to barrow em if ud let me when I got my barrel out. Can I use just the press and a bras bolt to push the pin out and same with barrel. I've seen guys use pennies where the barrel meet the bolt

I would love to barrow em if ud let me when I got my barrel out. Can I use just the press and a bras bolt to push the pin out and same with barrel. I've seen guys use pennies where the barrel meet the bolt

Some barrel pins you can press out with a hammer and punch. Putting the barrel pin in, I find it easy to start the barrel pin with a dead blow then use my mill vise to press it in some more. Then finish it with a hammer . Really depends how tight it is.

I've used a bolt and pennies to press a barrel out .
The trick is finding a hex bolt head that's close to the barrel od. And use a few pennies.
Brass will work the same but you might bend the brass bolt so use the biggest one you can .

Tip for pressing the barrel back in . Toss it in the freezer. Some type of lube on the trunnion and work fast. The barrel will shrink and goes in pretty easy. I've pressed a few barrels in this way with just a dead blow and the receiver in my lap

Thanks
Some barrel pins you can press out with a hammer and punch. Putting the barrel pin in, I find it easy to start the barrel pin with a dead blow then use my mill vise to press it in some more. Then finish it with a hammer . Really depends how tight it is.

I've used a bolt and pennies to press a barrel out .
The trick is finding a hex bolt head that's close to the barrel od. And use a few pennies.
Brass will work the same but you might bend the brass bolt so use the biggest one you can .

Tip for pressing the barrel back in . Toss it in the freezer. Some type of lube on the trunnion and work fast. The barrel will shrink and goes in pretty easy. I've pressed a few barrels in this way with just a dead blow and the receiver in my lap

When I was building my kits, Toth was backordered several months, so I made my own. I got the $17 Harbor Freight bolt cutters and took an angle grinder to them until they looked like the Toth jaws.

It took a little fine tuning with a dremel to get the rivet head socket just right, but it ended up doing a decent job.

I wasn't really going for looks, and I just did the long rivets in the rear with a ball peen hammer.

Nice! I still say bolt cutters are the fastest and easiest.

For my first build I did the trigger guard with a jig in a vice and finished it with a hammer and punch.

Placed an order for the rivet jaws. I'm pretty sure I can dontje barrel and pin with a press and some bolts and somewhat my my own trunnion support. Just need to see if I can barrow someone trigger guard tool and rear trunnion. I'm not comfortable enough to try using a hammer or anything. May have a lead on a jig just for the rear. I had one and foolishly sold it.

You can borrow my trigger gaurd tool. If you can get two metal pucks use a drill to make a rivet head shape in the center if both . Then just squeeze them in your press for the long rivets .

Wish I did an under folder now knowing these cannhit the rear rivets. So I don't have to search and search for a long rivet tool. Don't trust myself attempting it with just a hammer

Wish I did an under folder now knowing these cannhit the rear rivets. So I don't have to search and search for a long rivet tool. Don't trust myself attempting it with just a hammer

Where do you live?

If you want I can't cut two disk from round bar and put a dimple in each of them . Put dimple on rivet crush in vice etc .

I live in marlb. I can meet ya if you can hook me up with that or trigger guard tool. Anything helps. Because I was debating buying the toth long rivet tool

My kit came today! Hungarian fixed stock. Love the furniture. Lobe the wear on the parts. Never gets old opening up a kit. Never know what you will find. Pretty pumped I just need to demill the trigger guard. The rear trunnion can be a pain.

Nice!

I have an air chisel at work I was debating if I could find a rivet bit for it and support the back and shoot the rivet

I'll make them tomorrow . I have to make 1 inch od end caps out of bar stock so no one will know lol . I'm in Tewksbury work in dracut . Busy after work tomorrow but if you want to come up this way at night or meet up a different day that's cool . I'll post some pics tomorrow .

Ps I ask for beer or spare ak parts . And the you break it you buy me a new one rule.

Back
Top Bottom