Am I the only one?

Whenever I visit the range I see people using all types of different targets at all different distances. Most of them will fire about 10 rounds, bring the target back to see how they did, and then put the target back into position in order to adjust their sights, stance, technique etc. When I go, I turn my target around so all I have is a blank sheet of paper to aim at. I found that if I place the target like this, I can see where every shot lands, and can adjust on every shot to get perfect, clean groups. After about 40 or 50 rounds, I bring the target back in and turn it around and am usually amazed at how accurate I actually am. My last visit to the range last Sat. was actually pretty amazing. After doing this technique for about 20 - 30 mins, everyone else on the line was watching my technique, and soon everyone on the range began to do the same thing. I watched as people who's shots were all over the target, within minutes began to come together to form really nice grouping, and the look of shock on their faces was priceless as they turned their targets aroung to see all 0's and 1's. Soon people were coming up to me and thanking me for showing them my technique and saying it was the best shooting they have ever done. Does anyone else here use this same technique to sharpen their skills?

We used to shoot at blank targets to practice shooting centermass. It helped out on timed and rapid fires. This was for pistol.

For rifle we would shoot the 200 standing once in a while with a blank target to see how consistent our position and NPOA was.

We do this sometimes for load development for longer range ammo - usually at 300 yards where is very difficult to resolve .223 holes in the black. More often we "click-out" so we still have an aiming black but the group locates in the white. Using the clock, you can test 5 - 8 load groups without having to go down range.

I also shoot the back of my targets. I saw one of the RO's a S&W Shooting Sports Center doing it. I tried it and haven't shot the front ot a target since.

Sometimes, I just use those cheep white paper plates for targets.

Yup. The dessert plates. You can put 2 together sometimes for "double tap" practice. Sometimes a magic marker dot in the center gives you something to sight in on.

Paper plates are a favorite of mine too. The flat area of the plate is about the same as a human head. If I can hit that repeatedly using a pistol, I'm happy. If I can hold a full magazine out of a Thompson or Uzi in one, I'm even happier.[smile]

To make a target which is easy to see the holes, sometimes I take a cardboard box, with an open top facing the sky, put aluminum foil in it, and cut a eight inch hole in one side and tape another piece of foil over it which is spray painted black. When a bullet goes through, you get a clean hole with reflected sunlight coming through the hole like a light-bright. You can easily see where the shots are hitting. Even better contrast of you leave one of the flaps of the box hanging over the front like a sunshade.

I also shoot the back of my targets. I saw one of the RO's a S&W Shooting Sports Center doing it. I tried it and haven't shot the front ot a target since.

Yeah, I was at S&W tonight and turned my targets over so that my wife could better see where her shots from the P22 were going, makes a big difference with a .22 because it's hard to see shots in the black...a couple of guys made it a point to come over to "correct" me...i thought that was funny.

Sometimes, I just use those cheep white paper plates for targets.

Adam-

I do this too, although I do have to say, the "hi brow" paper plates like
chinet make a lot cleaner hole. [grin] A huge pack of em from
costco or BJs or wherever lasts me many range trips.

-Mike

I recall reading an article about the late (and great) pistolsmith Armand Swenson. It stated that he used simple paper plates as targets to test the accuracy of his work.

+1. That's what I use all the time. Unless I'm trying to impress tele_mark and MrTwigg, then I shoot at shotgun hulls.

Too funny! I do that too! When the cardboard back on the target holder gets bigger holes in it, I put some spent hulls through with only the metal showing!

I use mostly the cheap paper plates but everyonce in a while I'll use a shoot n see target, but they get expensive fast.

I staple 2 paper plates together at an edge and imagine that one is a hostage's head and the other is the BG's head behind the hostage and try to take out the BG without wacking the hostage.

Here's a dirty little secret: most people shoot better with iron sights when shooting at a white, featureless target because the eye has nothing but the front sight to focus on.

IF YOU FOCUS ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE FRONT SIGHT, YOU ARE GOING TO SUCK. Yes, even if your eyes are 20/20. The eye can only focus at one distance.

In reality, most people who say their eyes are not good enough to shoot with irons simply do not know how to use them. The old age/bad eyes thing is just a convenient excuse.

I have to admit, I am a total mark for Shoot-N-See .... I have found a cheaper alternative in DirtyBirds, but paper plates are a very last resort. I love the simplicity and low cost of them, but love the splat of reactive targets a little bit more....

Targets

The Shoot-N-See type of targets can be fun to shoot but can also cause a problems. One of the keys of shooting well is calling your shot. The opposite is looking to see where you hit. The problem with this type of target is that it encourages you to look. If you look during your follow through, you will have a miss. The simple, and often overlooked, fact is that you can move the gun barrel before the bullet exits the barrel. I used to use a lot of Shoot-N-See targets until I realized that I was looking to see my hits. Now I shoot a magazine, calling my shots, and then look at the target.

A lot of people use paper plates as targets, and I think that it is a very good idea. Do not put any aimimg marks on the plate. Just aim to hit the center of the plate and you will be surprised at how well you have hit.

Louis Awerbuck has written about students that shoot small groups to the COM (that would easily be great hits to the ocular cavity) and large groups that miss to the ocular cavity. He states that the reason for missing the smaller ocular cavity is that the student is trying to be too precise. he comments the the old adage " aim small and miss small" is all wrong. His suggestion is to simply aim to hit the center of the desired area. I know that he is right because that is one of the techniques that I use.
Try it, I think that you will be surprised.

Last edited:
Jim - please forgive the beginner question, but what exactly does "calling your shot" mean? I heard the term thrown around, but I still don't know exactly what it's referring to. Thanks!

It means being able to accurately say where your shot went after you have fired it but before you look at the target.

To do so, you need to keep your eyes open (no blink, no flinch) and your focus on the front sight throughout the entire process. Where was the front sight when the shot went off, and how did it move? If you can piece that data together, you can accurately call your shots (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 5 o'clock, etc...)

Calling your Shots

Calling your Shots means that you note where the front site is the moment that the shot goes off. Where the front sight is is where the bullet will hit. The best way to learn this is during dry firing, when there are no distractions like recoil and loud noises.

Jim - please forgive the beginner question, but what exactly does "calling your shot" mean? I heard the term thrown around, but I still don't know exactly what it's referring to. Thanks!

It means knowing precisely where the front site was in relation to your intended target when the trigger broke and the round was fired. This takes practice, a lot of it. The best way to start is during dry fire practice. Once you are able to call your shots you'll be able to begin to realize why you miss and fix your problems. I.e. jerking the trigger, anticipating recoil, etc.

Jim, you know that you and I agree on a LOT of things. We just tend to part company on what one should be focusing on when the feces is flung for real. [wink]

What I focus on depends on a lot of factors. Yes, I admit it I do point shoot and I am a sighted shooter by training. Sometimes I even have a target focus.

Focus - it's a situational decision - usually subconscious

In regards to calling the shot, crak made a point that is extremely important.

It is not sufficient to note where the front sight was when the shot was fired. It is critical to note how the sight behaves during recoil and where it ends up.

If the front sight stops somewhere else other than where it began, and you call your shot based on where the sight was when you broke the shot, your impact will most likely be off call. Improper natural point of aim is usually the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom