America's awakening on guns continues

Hiltonizer

Banned
http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m3d1-Americas-awakening-on-guns-continues

A week-and-a-half ago, we talked about how more Americans are recognizing and claiming their gun rights. We reviewed evidence of dramatic increases in sales and carry permit applications, and saw the dismissal of this from the gunhaters as sour grapes, denial and spin.

map(10).jpg

I received a nice email the other day--these stand out because I get my share of not-so-nice ones. It had an observation in it that I thought important to share with my fellow Gun Rights Examiners, and now I will share it with you:

"I think the work you have done with the Examiner is outstanding. It seems to have gotten traction, and demonstrated the real broad base opposition to gun control in America."

"Broad base opposition." This is an astute observation, and one my friend John Longenecker continually tries to educate me on with varying degrees of success, which is more a tribute to his patience than to my teachability. We aren't writing these columns so gun owners can agree with us. We're reaching out to fellow citizens who don't frequent gun blogs, who aren't necessarily even gun owners.

And we see from the success of the Gun Rights Examiner feature (remember, it was only last October when it was me trying out an experiment in Cleveland, and now we have nationwide representation with 10 regular columnists) that the subject does what I predicted to Examiner.com management it would do: It generates interest.

Here's some anecdotal evidence that other media outlets are starting to get it. First, from The Chatanoogan, columnist Roy Exum tells his readers:

"There is no longer any doubt we are living in desperate times and desperate times create desperate people. I never thought I would reach the point in life where I felt I needed to carry a pistol, but, be aware, I’ve now got a big one."

OK, you might say, but come on. That's a Tennessee paper, fer cryin' out loud, servicing the Heartland, flyover country, a "red state". What's the big deal?

Fine. How about if we look at what readers of The New York Times Magazine are being exposed to:

"A few weeks ago, my husband went away on business, and after two sleepless nights starting every time the old steam radiators knocked, I finally decided I wanted protection...The revolver I bought has a black handle and a four-inch stainless-steel barrel."

I had hope that "The Gray Lady" might see the business wisdom of presenting more balanced coverage on gun rights back when they invited me to participate in their online Virginia Tech panel. True, their editorial bent is consistently subversive, but at some point, one would think economic survival instincts would kick in, and they'd want to broaden their readership.

From what I'm seeing, it would be the smart thing to do.

The coming increase in crime cuts both ways though. The prior Depression brought us an "18 month crime spree" that resulted in machine gun taxes...

Back
Top Bottom