Ames Rifle and Pistol Club

I was just going in to check on if they are taking renewal checks and found that they apparently changed the pricing somewhat significantly for 2016. It's been about $108 a year the past few years or so and now this year they are saying $150 if you did the work party and $200 if you didn't. I think it might be time to find a different range closer to me.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure this is why: http://www.enterprisenews.com/article/20151217/NEWS/151216248

I went to the last meeting and it was a pretty big issue with Easton PD already dropping the matter and Stoughton PD continuing to "investigate" even tho it has been ballistically proven that the round couldn't have come from Ames and was more likely coming from people out shooting cans in the woods.

Not at liberty to discuss it but it's because of an unrelated incident. Shutdown is voluntary I'm sure they will release details at the meeting in two weeks.

Not at liberty to discuss it but it's because of an unrelated incident. Shutdown is voluntary I'm sure they will release details at the meeting in two weeks.

I got a lot of details from the other party involved, I'm now aware of what happened.

It not completely unrelated

Been 5 days now. No call back from the club yet.

Message recently received: The outdoor ranges are closed until further notice. A police investigation is ongoing with Club support. If you have questions please do not call the Board directly you can leave a message on the Club voicemail, (508) 238-9014 and someone will get back to you.

Message recently received: The outdoor ranges are closed until further notice. A police investigation is ongoing with Club support. If you have questions please do not call the Board directly you can leave a message on the Club voicemail, (508) 238-9014 and someone will get back to you.

I was saying that I never received anything after leaving a voice mail. I received a call today and was informed on the current situation.

for those members who may not know, modification work is on-going to re-open the outdoor ranges. saturdays & sundays, 8:00 am. all members welcome to assist.

Last edited:
Any update? I remember them making the shooting line roof longer to prevent firing over the berm years ago

Any update? I remember them making the shooting line roof longer to prevent firing over the berm years ago

work has been on-going for the last 5-6 weekends (still a bit more work to do) to construct the "no blue sky" project. (by members only!!!!!!)

i applaud the executive board for taking this action to insure the long term viability of the club to remain open

this is massachusetts. people in general don't want gun ranges here. you folks here on nes already know that.

club members have stepped up to complete this project to make sure ames can continue to operate. i can't say enough for the people that have been involved in this.

egg shoot is already scheduled, check the website for dates.

Last edited:
The work that has been done is very impressive. The planning that went into it is equally impressive. Great thought went into how to accommodate all types of shooting and still ensure that it is virtually impossible for a round to get over the berm.

I love that they are adding so many steel targets. There are other great clubs in the area, but it is hard to find one with as much to offer. For those that may not know, Ames offers:

300 yard heated rifle range. Targets can be set at 200 to 300 and you can shoot prone, bench and off hand.
100 yard range - Can shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun.
25 yard ( I think) combat range for pistol and 22 lr - can also shoot clays - also heated.
Lots of steel on outdoor ranges.
Indoor range - 24/7 - 365 ( with minor exceptions like Juniors program times etc)

Works well for me.

I didn't renew this year and haven't looked back.

Seems like a lot of people did that. We've had a large influx of ex-Ames folks joining Mansfield F&G over the past few months.

All/most of them claimed that they left due to the lack of good communications as to what happened and what was going on. Essentially this is why I left Ames many years ago. A lesson could be learned here as Ames has decent outdoor ranges. If the management was more open and honest with the membership, this is a club with great potential!

Braintree R&P faced the same sort of accusations many years ago, but was open and honest with the membership, took action to mitigate the potential of a problem and moved forward. Monday we were told that Ames sent a group to meet with Braintree R&P to see what we have in place to help them decide how to tackle the problem.

Except to post in this Ames thread.

[laugh]

People are free to post what they like, where they like. There probably isn't a club or gun shop thread here that doesn't have some criticism in it. The key is to figure out what went wrong and take steps to fix the problem rather than being upset that someone posted a problem/decision not to go back.

People are free to post what they like, where they like. There probably isn't a club or gun shop thread here that doesn't have some criticism in it. The key is to figure out what went wrong and take steps to fix the problem rather than being upset that someone posted a problem/decision not to go back.

My comment was an observation of the irony of posting "haven't looked back" then looking back here in this thread to post.

No lecture required.

:)

My comment was an observation of the irony of posting "haven't looked back" then looking back here in this thread to post.

No lecture required.

:)

Gotcha, good point . . . depending on what the person means by that. Could be meaning "no regrets" vs. "don't ever care to revisit that club".

Seems like a lot of people did that. We've had a large influx of ex-Ames folks joining Mansfield F&G over the past few months.

All/most of them claimed that they left due to the lack of good communications as to what happened and what was going on. Essentially this is why I left Ames many years ago. A lesson could be learned here as Ames has decent outdoor ranges. If the management was more open and honest with the membership, this is a club with great potential!

Braintree R&P faced the same sort of accusations many years ago, but was open and honest with the membership, took action to mitigate the potential of a problem and moved forward. Monday we were told that Ames sent a group to meet with Braintree R&P to see what we have in place to help them decide how to tackle the problem.

I am a new member as of January this year. This club has ZERO communication to its members if you don't go to a monthly meeting. I have given my email address and phone number and have never received an email or phone call. In the meantime, the range has been closed on multiple visits, they had a huge renovation/no blue sky project without announcing to members, and now they shut off all the key cards (until you pass re-orientation) without notifying the members. There is no phone number where someone picks up, you can only leave a message and never get a call back.

Not everyone has the luxury to drive 30+ minutes just to find out the club is closed....again. It's extremely frustrating and I can see why people would leave.

Not doubting you at all, but I get constant emails from the club. I got an email a day when the rifle range was complete about orientation, weekly updates about the project and get monthly news letters. I have also never had an un returned call or email.

I would send an email to Tim Duffy. He has been very responsive to me and very prompt.

I am a new member as of January this year. This club has ZERO communication to its members if you don't go to a monthly meeting. I have given my email address and phone number and have never received an email or phone call. In the meantime, the range has been closed on multiple visits, they had a huge renovation/no blue sky project without announcing to members, and now they shut off all the key cards (until you pass re-orientation) without notifying the members. There is no phone number where someone picks up, you can only leave a message and never get a call back.

Not everyone has the luxury to drive 30+ minutes just to find out the club is closed....again. It's extremely frustrating and I can see why people would leave.
Weird. Most updates comes via email, which I've been receiving monthly if not more often (see below).

Screenshot_2016-05-15-11-00-04_zpstohxzhin.png

Screenshot_2016-05-15-10-52-49_zpspkp1q4uj.png

You should just be sure that they're not going to your spam folder first, then double check with the BoD that they have your correct email.

Last edited:
That has been my experience as well. You need to complete the new range rule orientation to have your card re-activated. Touch base with Tim Duffy.

It took about 20 minutes and you are good to go. I imagine you could even bring your guns with you and shoot when you are done, but I would check with them.

Back
Top Bottom