Ammo prices soar. New .22

In everyone's humble opinion,which .22 do you get
Walther P22 target
Smith 22A w/ wood grip-not camo
Ruger ? Idon't know page won't load
Reason for these 3 is, I like to buy brand new-only ones on the "LIST"
Thanks for the words.

I have all three. I'll rank them as follows:

1. A tie between the Ruger MKIII and the Smith 22A. The Ruger would win hands down if it was easier to reassemble.

2. Walther P22 Target, and this is a distant second.

jlotta,
You didn't specify what are you going to use them for? If for target shooting (bulls eye?) - Ruger, no questions asked! Plinking - Walther. Smith 22A stands some what in between.

I've got a P22, and I'm having cycling problems. Fails to feed very often, no matter what I put through it.

My buddy has one that has never had any problem, and we're both shooting the same stuff.

I found a nice ruger single six used at local gun store, I had to take it home. Never any cycling problems, always goes bang. I also have a henry lever 22, makes for some fun and affordable shooting.
single_six.jpg

I've got a P22, and I'm having cycling problems. Fails to feed very often, no matter what I put through it.

My buddy has one that has never had any problem, and we're both shooting the same stuff.

Try warming it up (breaking it in) with 200 rounds of CCI MiniMags, you might find it becomes alot less fussy after that.

Walther P22 target
Thanks for the words.

None of the above.

I have a 22 conversion kit from Advantage Arms for my Glock. Gives me the same grip, same trigger, and fits the same holster. It's not considered a "firearm" by the Feds, can be bought and shipped mail order no questions asked, so your MA "list" should be irrelevant.

If you have a pistol that a kit is available for, this is the way to go, IMNPHO.

Regards
John

I bought a Kadet .22 for my cz 75b 9mm for the same reasons as the post above....Shoots 2" at 25 yd if I'm on. :) It takes less that 30 seconds to switch slides at the range. I did a trigger job on my 75 and changed springs and it has one of the best sa trigger pulls I have tried in a long time. So the conversion was a no brain-er.

None of the above.

I have a 22 conversion kit from Advantage Arms for my Glock....

If you have a pistol that a kit is available for, this is the way to go, IMNPHO.

Regards
John

Speaking of conversions, can someone provide a short list of MA-compliant pistols that have kits available?

re: .22
My Mark III Target is much more accurate than I'd thought it would be. However, I kinda wish I'd gone for the Hunter model. Because now that I've become proficient with it using its open sights, I'm thinking of scoping it for some varmint duty. With regard to dis-/assembly, the manual attempts to explain but does a poor job. Once you understand what has to go where & when, it's cake.

I love my Ruger MkIII hunter. I havent had a failure in thousands of rounds, its more accurate than I can shoot, ammo is cheap, and its a blast to shoot. The Ruger MKIII's also have a ton of aftermarket parts available. Heres the progression of mine from stock to the current target setup...it can go from a fun plinker to a bullseye setup very easilly by adding target grips, swapping out the sear, extended bolt release, EDM extractor, compensators, etc etc...:

Aftermarket parts and options can be found here:
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2

Stock:
1.jpg

Custom grips:
3.jpg

Bullseye:
5.jpg

Last edited:
I loved shooting Snowjoker's 22A.

I have the P22 and it gets more range time than anything I own. I flat out LOVE my P22...just because people say that they have problems, I've been shooting it for about 15 months and have yet to clean it...and it's still going with no jams. First jam it get's taken apart and cleaned. Still together.

ANd I'm shooting Thunderbolts.

Edit to add...my Dream 22 is a Model 41. I will have one one day.

Walther P22 target
Thanks for the words.

Ruger!

I have a Ruger M3 and love it, but then again I have never shot the other models mentioned to compare it too. It's weight is just right, and after about two thousand rounds, I have no problems with it.

Ruger Mark II

TicTock:

did you carve those wooded grips in the second photo? I relly like them. What kind of wood is it?

I still have the original plastc grips on my old MKII the only thing that I change was an extended Magizine release when using the Ramline 16 round plastic Mags. It still works fine with the OEM steel 10 roun Mags.

Noone showed me how to reassemble the Mark II when I got it. Being that I can take Anything Apart it still took a couple of trys to figure out how to put it back together. Just dissasemble it every time you finish shooting to clean it and youll get the hang of putting it back together.

Last edited:
Try warming it up (breaking it in) with 200 rounds of CCI MiniMags, you might find it becomes alot less fussy after that.

Mine was sort of fussy when I first got it too. I ran a few hundred Mini-Mags thru it and that seemed to break it in nicely - that wasn't why I used the Mini Mags though - I wanted to see the big flames coming out - the help with the break in was just another benefit. [smile]

My Mark III Target is much more accurate than I'd thought it would be. However, I kinda wish I'd gone for the Hunter model. Because now that I've become proficient with it using its open sights, I'm thinking of scoping it for some varmint duty. With regard to dis-/assembly, the manual attempts to explain but does a poor job. Once you understand what has to go where & when, it's cake.

The Mark III target comes from the factory drilled and tapped and includes a scope base; at least mine did.

The Mark III target comes from the factory drilled and tapped and includes a scope base; at least mine did.

Yes, it will accept a scope via the included Weaver base. But with hunting in mind, I would rather have gone with the Hunter version from the onset is all.

Ruger hands down. I have 2 mark II's a Single six convertible with the 22 mag cylinder and a p22 I haven't shot the P22 since I bought no ammo works well in mine.

Speaking of conversions, can someone provide a short list of MA-compliant pistols that have kits available?
I won't speak to the MA-compliance of the handguns these kits are for, but here are the 22LR conversion uppers/kits I know of:

Pistol (Kit Makers)
-----------------
Beretta 92/96 (Beretta, Ciener)
Glock [just about all but the G36] (Advantage Arms)
Glock [mid and full size, standard width frames only] (Ciener)
Full-size 1911 uppers (MANY different makers)
BHP (Ciener)
Taurus PT92 (Ciener)

Most come with 10-round mags only, so that little bit at least is not going to be an issue.

I won't speak to the MA-compliance of the handguns these kits are for, but here are the 22LR conversion uppers/kits I know of:

Pistol (Kit Makers)
-----------------
Beretta 92/96 (Beretta, Ciener)
Glock [just about all but the G36] (Advantage Arms)
Glock [mid and full size, standard width frames only] (Ciener)
Full-size 1911 uppers (MANY different makers)
BHP (Ciener)
Taurus PT92 (Ciener)

Most come with 10-round mags only, so that little bit at least is not going to be an issue.

The Beretta ciener comes with a 12 round mag, so it's out for MA. Annoying too because I wanted one. Beretta makes it's own kit but it's absurdly expensive.

The Beretta ciener comes with a 12 round mag, so it's out for MA. Annoying too because I wanted one. Beretta makes it's own kit but it's absurdly expensive.
Ah, too bad about the Ciener. I'd DEFINITELY recommend someone in an area that restricts mag capacity check ANY kit before considering one, just because you never know....

Most of these kits run $175-$300, but they also mostly do work quite well, though some are a little extra-finicky about ammo pressure. It's as much as a full new pistol in many cases, but the advantage is you get to work with your normal grip and trigger - and some replicate the stock sights.

The Beretta-made 92/96 kit can be had for about $310 from 'net dealers; it tends to sell well below the astronomical retail price.

Well with a trip to 4 seasons today it seems that it will between p22 and ruger hunter w/ fluted barrel, both priced right, ruger a little more, but a better gun. Both have a lot of cool toys to put on them too. I don't know what will make my decision. Thanks for all the help,especially the conv. kits, that opened a whole new world for me,but I don't know if they will work on the DK1911 with the fact. mods (ext. magwell), looking at the Wilson Combat.

TicTock:

did you carve those wooded grips in the second photo? I relly like them. What kind of wood is it?

I still have the original plastc grips on my old MKII the only thing that I change was an extended Magizine release when using the Ramline 16 round plastic Mags. It still works fine with the OEM steel 10 roun Mags.

Noone showed me how to reassemble the Mark II when I got it. Being that I can take Anything Apart it still took a couple of trys to figure out how to put it back together. Just dissasemble it every time you finish shooting to clean it and youll get the hang of putting it back together.

Sure did. They are stabilized box elder burl. Impregnated with a epoxy-type resin in a vacum as burl tends to be very light and brittle. This way, they are almost a plastic type material. Making the grips was very easy, only requiring a bit of machining on the underside where the extractor moves and a bit of tight tolerance where the grips hold in a pin. Not as easy as 1911 grips, but anyone with some woodworking skills could pull it off. They were taken to about 800 grit and buffed.

I loved shooting Snowjoker's 22A.

I have the P22 and it gets more range time than anything I own. I flat out LOVE my P22...just because people say that they have problems, I've been shooting it for about 15 months and have yet to clean it...and it's still going with no jams. First jam it get's taken apart and cleaned. Still together.

ANd I'm shooting Thunderbolts.

Edit to add...my Dream 22 is a Model 41. I will have one one day.

Did you get the latest e-mail from S&W ?
Got this today.

Smith & Wesson is pleased to announce the
Limited Edition Model 41 - Engraved 50th Anniversary Model
Get to your Smith & Wesson dealer fast! Only 500 units will be produced!
Smith & Wesson Dealer Locator

The Smith & Wesson Model 41 is the top of the line in rimfire pistols. Used by national level competitors for acute precision in competition, the Model 41 has been considered one of the best .22 target pistols ever manufactured. In addition to the 5.5 and 7-inch models offered, Smith & Wesson is commemorating the pistol's 50 year history with a limited edition, beautifully engraved 50th Anniversary Model 41, lavishly covered with American scrolls and lettering plated with 24kt gold. Each limited edition firearm will come in a cherry-stained, glass top presentation case.

Production will be limited to 500 units.

These models will have a special serial number range assigned (FYA0001 - FYA0500).

Suggested Retail price: $2150.00

Let me ask this question,
Do you shoot more than one mag. through it before it goes in the safe?
Nice to own, I think to nice to shoot every weekend. I also used to have a car that only came out in ideal weather.

Back
Top Bottom