Ammo shortage gripes

I lucked today at Zero Hour. I was able to score two bricks, [325 rds], of Federal .22 40gr. I had called earlier, and when I got there, they said they got some stuff in just this morning. Maybe things are starting to get better.

I hear you on that. There IS still some ammo trickling in to the mom & pop stores, Dick's, Cabela's, etc. at decent prices. What I'm not liking are the ones who are gouging. Case in point - we went to Cabela's yesterday morning, early. We were able to pick up 5 boxes of 9mm per person, 10 boxes total. Paid $14.99 per box. A family of 7 was there and every one of them was grabbing the 5 box limit, which is fine. We overheard Momma telling son "at this price we'll be able to sell them for $25-$30 a box cuz people are suckers right now". Thank God Ted was with me because I opened my mouth to speak my mind and he shut me up. [banghead]

Capitalists suck.

Eley 10x $1783.00 per case of 5000 rounds. In stock! Now we're talking. Oh, you wanted cheap cheap ammo, not cheap good ammo... D + L in Warwick had many bricks yesterday. Call then to see what is available.
White Feather
Also, Bullseye in Woonsocket had Federal Gold Medal .308 (168 Sierra Match King) yesterday.

Last edited:
I've started shooting the crappy Russian 22lr stuff marked Junior that I had laying around.

I have that stuff also left over from the mass amount my dad purchased God knows when....late 80s my memory says it was 7500rnd per crate. He bought 7 crates I think. At the time it wasn't unusual for me and my brother to piss through 10k in the summer.

Guys if you truely like shootingyour 22s you need to stock up. Not 500 round bulk packs every few months. Stop shooting for a little while save up the cash for a case of 22 your guns like.....or figure out what guns like what and buy several. Thousand of each.....remembering back there where several times ammo has been either short in supply or inflated prices.
Get into the habbit of grabbing ammo anytime you see it for a price you want to pay.

Sadly here in mass ammo hasxalways been more expensive than neighboring States.

Somebody has Winchester white box 9mm value packs listed here for $40 each, sale pending. Over the past few months I've seen that stuff sitting on the shelf at Bass Pro in Foxboro several times at $27 a box. Lots of it. A few times I left it there because I had enough and they get it in every now and then. I even sold some at my cost because I needed cash. I was riding my motorcycle there every day for a while and have figured out that they rotate the calibers that they put on the shelf. One weeks it's 9, the next something else and so on. Calling them doesn't always help. I've called and they say nothing is there then I ride over and find a few boxes. They also told me that they opened a couple of stores recently and had to make sure those stores were fully stocked so other stores went without. MA isn't on the list of gun friendly states so we get to pound sand until they send a few over.

Case in point... It was nice out today so I rode my gsxr out to Bass Pro. Today they had 40 and 45 Winchester white box. $37.99 for the 40 and $44.99 for the 45. Later this week or next week it will be something else. Last week it was 9mm. 10 box limit. At least one of the reasons prices are high and inventory is low is that people are buying this stuff and reselling it.

View attachment 85500

The bonus was a few 1400 round buckets of Remington Golden Bullets [smile] . Seems Remington knew of what was to come when they named their ammo. Bucket of gold!

View attachment 85501

How much were those buckets of bullets? I thought those were kind of junky, or am I getting confused with some other Remingtons (Thunderbolt? Gold-something else?)?

How much were those buckets of bullets? I thought those were kind of junky, or am I getting confused with some other Remingtons (Thunderbolt? Gold-something else?)?

$70 for 1400 rounds which comes out to about $2.50 per 50 round box. In the past buying in bulk would offer a substantial discount but not these days. I have had no issues with them in my Ruger SR22. The SR22 needs high velocity and won't cycle properly with lower charged match grade ammo.

So, the .22lr shortage sucks.
A guy youtube pointed out that 10 guys in each state buying 10 bricks of ammo (a day?) would be enough to hit US production capacity... Time for imports?

I remain hopeful that after the holidays, .22 will be starting to normalize. I haven't seen any since Dec. of last year for a price I would pay. Dipping into the stash.

My dad taught me 32 years ago...."if you like to go shooting you can never have enough 22 ammo make sure to always stock up and replenish often". From the age of 12-19 I don't think there was ever less than 20k rnds of 22lr on hand and it seems every time we pissed through 500 or 2000 rnds my dad would replace it with a added 500 or 1000 rnds. I took a huge lapse in shooting and when I returned to it I was glad to see my dad still had a shit ton of 22 stashed. I have since pure based a case or 2 every other year to keep the supply stacked. I have 3 cases on order to be delivered sometime in the spring. Cost .04 cents per rnd delivered. I also scored a case of surplus 22lr that cost 2.5 cents per round shipped last year.

I remain hopeful that after the holidays, .22 will be starting to normalize. I haven't seen any since Dec. of last year for a price I would pay. Dipping into the stash.

Regardless of what people feel about Bass Pro in general, their flyer is advertizing a brick of Winchester 22lr for $25 with 300 boxes per store available guaranteed. One per customer. Maybe this means we'll start seeing things come back soon.

I can't find any .357, and of course that's the case because my newest buy was a Ruger Speed Six. Can't find any .380 in target stuff either.

The only .357 I got was at a Wal-Mart that can't sell ammo now. Wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom