• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammo Storage

I have a few boxes that I use.

I picked up one of those large plastic tool boxes from Wally World for under $20. Made by Black and Decker. Holds a bunch of ammo, downside is that the ammo is to heavy for it and the weight deforms the plastic a bit. I get a clicking sound when I open her up. But she locks and holds ammo, keeps me happy.

I know the ones I have don't lock but I have 3 or 4 ammo cans that I use for ammo storage. I might rig up a lock system for it. I have access to the equipment to do so.

last I usually have a little ammo in my save.

Bugs,

What is suitable for "storage" (i.e. stationary in your home, not moved) may be one thing.

What is suitable for taking to the range may be another thing.

For in-home storage (e.g. LOTS of ammo), I'd recommend looking for a large ammo can at one of the gun shows, a very large metal tool box (Lowes, HD are good places to look).

For "to the range" ammo storage, I'd recommend .50cal ammo cans. Usually can be had at gun shows for $4-5 each if you buy 4 or more. I mark each can with a single caliber and thus if I'm shooting 9mm, I grab the 9mm can, etc. Also serves to minimize mistakes of picking up the wrong ammo for the gun.

I also picked up a locking mechanism with padlock for these .50cal ammo cans, so if you want to keep them locked (good idea if kids around) or to meet the CMR for "fire safety" <my ass>, this will secure them. The mil-surp store up in Amherst sells them at the gun shows. I picked up a bunch from him last year. [I'm sure that BJ could make up a whole bunch for NES for cheap. [wink] ]

Adam,

I take that as a compliment! [smile]

This is precisely the same thing I bought for quite a bit more at the Big E!

BJ is welcome to measure one of mine to use as a template, as long as he gives me a good deal on the end results. [devil]

Seriously, we could have NES stamped on them. Make them a forum project.

flotter390 said:
Typeo1313,

What part of the body is the save,can you reach it fast?[hmmm]

Fred

For in house defense, I practice with my pistols. I have a carefully placed digital keypad safe with loaded guns in it.

LenS said:
Adam,

I take that as a compliment! [smile]

This is precisely the same thing I bought for quite a bit more at the Big E!

BJ is welcome to measure one of mine to use as a template, as long as he gives me a good deal on the end results. [devil]

Seriously, we could have NES stamped on them. Make them a forum project.

Ideas are more then welcome. I can see what I can do. FYI stamping NES would require tooling and would be expensive. I would look into silk screening or decal.

If you're looking for home storage something that you dont plan to move i would look into a steel tool chest like the ones you put in a truck bed.the square type that fits in the bed not the type that you bolt down to the bed rails.i myself use an old foot locker for home use.it stays in a room most people dont know exeist in my house.as for range type the suggestions above would work well.

Bugs,

Looks good. However, if all your ammo will fit in one of these, you are just an amatuer! [rofl]

Seriously, don't try to move it once it is full and make sure it is over 3 floor joists so you don't make the floor sag! [smile]

I couldn't find ammo boxes local, so I just bought some cheap steel tool boxes that pad lock. They are not actually secure against someone with a pry bar or hammer, but it keeps kids out.

They'll hold a couple thousand boxed rounds of 9mm each, and the handle on top makes them easy to move.

Matt

PS: I'd bet it would be cheaper to buy the .50 cal box locks and stamp them NES than to make them yourself... buy one for $10. Find out who manufactured it, then buy in bulk from them.

Last edited:
matt said:
PS: I'd bet it would be cheaper to buy the .50 cal box locks and stamp them NES than to make them yourself... buy one for $10. Find out who manufactured it, then buy in bulk from them.

Depends on the volume. I agree on a few pieces. But if the order is/was large I can definitely beat that price. I don't have the time to market something like this but if somebody here wanted to sell these I could have thees made.

Bugs, thats what i was thinking about.plastic is just as good as the metal style boxes.may have to go get me one,i dont have enough storage at all for anything.

Well I figure my biggest problem is all the shotgun rounds, they take up a lot of room and I'm going to shoot all that up soon. I also have about 3000 rounds of assorted 22, 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 41mag, ,45acp laying around and I do mean assorted. . I'm going to shoot that all up in the next couple of weeks.

I found a case of .38's and a case of clay's, in the trunk of my caddy which I rarely drive, I must of forgot buying it, I have to go to four Seasons tommorow and while I'm there I'm going to pick up 5000 CCI Min Mags, 2000 .45acp and my new 617 10 shot 4 inch.

I'm hoping this will last me untill Sept.

One of those Lowes box's plus my safe should handle it all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom