An unusal bird dog, But she is doing ok!

Wildweasel

NES Member
bird1.jpg

This is one of our american cockers I have been working with trying to get her to hunt. (our springer had to be put down last year) she has allways been good in the field and I decieded to give her a shot this year hunting.

I was worried about her being gunshy but it turned out to be no problem.

We where working a rise and she was on the scent and the rooster popped up about 4 feet from her. I nailed it with the 20 ga, and turned and looked at her and she was still working the scent! no problem with the report at all.
I worked her down to the bird and she walked right over it! (often a bird will get "Airwashed" and have alot less scent. that and she had only seen one bird before. (one I brought home) so to say the least I am happy with her progress.

I am still planning on getting a springer for hunting dutys but Breenie will be a hunting buddy for years to come I have a feeling.

Last edited:
Run faster... sometimes they can be a prick that way. I have had them run around for 30-45 mins with a dog on thier butt. finally the dog got close enough and up it went. They are a challange sometimes..

This one was in some thick thorn brush and I think he ran in to a large standing corn field when Marc went in after him.

that's hilarious. After this morning I would use a blind poodle to hunt with.

Hey Hammy! LTNS [smile]

I can't help you with the poodle, but I've got a blind cocker spaniel you can borrow. Looks like they have an aptitude for this sort of thing.

Did you guys try yelling, "Hey! Bird! Move!" I hear that works in lieu of a dog... [laugh]

Thanks Jelly, but she is actually one of my couch potatoes.[laugh] Just she has a nose. Glenn figured he try her out and see how she would do.

How do you make pheasant pie? Is it just a chicken pot pie with pheasant or is there something else to it? I'm intrigued.

Pretty much, We boil the pheasant and then when cool pick the meat, and use the reserved broth to make a thick gravy, and then get the whole mess boiling again and then dumplings on top. Into the oven till the dumplings are done trough (30 mins maybe but test them with a fork. it should come out dry) VERY tasty. and even better in that we haven't had it in about 5 years! so it will be a treat. you can add any veggys but we generally just do it as above. You can also add in any other game you happen to have to help stretch it.

I learned this from Mom and during hunting season growing up I was allways cooking game for dinner as both she and dad worked.
So they would get home at 5:30 or 6 and could sit down I would serve coffe and once they where done it was dinner time. (with Game of the day.)
What can I say I like to eat on time.

Hey Hammy! LTNS [smile]

I can't help you with the poodle, but I've got a blind cocker spaniel you can borrow. Looks like they have an aptitude for this sort of thing.

Did you guys try yelling, "Hey! Bird! Move!" I hear that works in lieu of a dog... [laugh]

No, but we took a couple of sound shots.

It's the shotgun he's using: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12064

With history like that, you can't have a bad hunt, can you?

No not really. I don't recall a shot that I have missed with that shotgun.
(maybe a long time ago .. (grin) I was thinking The Dog had done such a good job I would be heart broken If I missed if she put one up.
Thankfully I did my part for the team. I haven't had this much fun hunting since my Son started hunting with Dad and I . I am just happy to be out in the fields again and the birds are the gravy. (I have had a 4 + year run of bad health (2 shoulder surgurys back surgury etc... ) when I get in I am tired and sore but happy. so is the pup. (well she is 5 lol)

Back
Top Bottom