Andover, MA sportsman club or other suggestions?

I live in Andover, MA and am looking to join a club. I have been to Andover Sportsman's club and liked it but I also am aware of there 5 bullet and no human looking targets restrictions. I don't mind that too much, but I was curious if there are other good clubs nearby people recommend.

There are a few members from Andover here - most of the complaining you hear about it is not from members but from others with opinions not formed by first hand experience.

The bad:
-Yes, there is a five round limit for pistols and ten for rifles. However, this rule was recently modified to allow revolvers to load to capacity - a small step which will hopefully be something that changes again in the future.

-It is also true that there are no human targets allowed because it is a class A club.

-The outdoor range is only 100 yds.

The Good:
-The club members are good people. I've been made to feel very welcome, they are friendly and I've really enjoyed myself there.

-There are no range safeties required and the indoor range is 24 hours.

-There are great facilities for trap/skeet, indoor range, outdoor range and two great archery ranges

-The land surrounding the club is mostly state forest, so there aren't any neighbors trying to shut us down all the time.

Bottom line, the five round rule sucks, but like I said in another thread recently, it also slows down my shooting and makes me actually work on my skills rather than winging 15 rounds down range every few seconds.

However, when I do feel the need to load up more than 5 rounds in my pistol, I just head up to Martin Burns. A free outdoor range where I can load my mags to capacity and if I ever felt the need, use humanoid targets.

Thanks a lot for your input. Ya the 5 round limit is annoying but not nearly a game changer, and as for humanoid targets, hardly care but I wouldn't mind the ability to shoot one now and then. I really liked the place when I was there as a guest too. I guess I just wanted to make sure I make a good choice where to spend that initiation fee and all because I plan on staying a member a long time. Right now I only have a Ruger SR9c so 100 yards max is hardly an issue haha. So great to hear about Martin Burns, first I heard about it. Much thanks

Thanks a lot for your input. Ya the 5 round limit is annoying but not nearly a game changer, and as for humanoid targets, hardly care but I wouldn't mind the ability to shoot one now and then. I really liked the place when I was there as a guest too. I guess I just wanted to make sure I make a good choice where to spend that initiation fee and all because I plan on staying a member a long time. Right now I only have a Ruger SR9c so 100 yards max is hardly an issue haha. So great to hear about Martin Burns, first I heard about it. Much thanks
To obtain the target permit for Martin Burns, send a letter with your LTC number and a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

MassFish and Wildlife
85 Fitchburg Rd
Ayer, MA 01432

ATTN: Sue Ostertag

Takes about a week to get it back. She's very quick with the turnaround. Also, forgot to mention that there is, in fact, an area where you can set up your own clay thrower if you want to shoot trap/skeet. I've never used it and it looks a little grown up, but it is there.

Even if you don't end up joining ASC, this is a good permit to have regardless of what club you chose. If you are able to go there on weekdays, you'll often be all alone.

Awesome, as of now I am planning on joining ASC in September when it becomes prorated for the year. Just postmarked a letter to MassFish and Wildlife. That will be an ideal place to go especially for the time being as I wait for ASC.

I had heard a rumor the many of the Andover members - perhaps of the FUDD-ish persuasion - were supportive of many of the anti-2A efforts making the rounds. Specifically, expanding background checks, limiting mag capactiy and even some bans on MSRs. Any truth to that?

I had heard a rumor the many of the Andover members - perhaps of the FUDD-ish persuasion - were supportive of many of the anti-2A efforts making the rounds. Specifically, expanding background checks, limiting mag capactiy and even some bans on MSRs. Any truth to that?

I go to all of the meetings and talk to many members regularly. You are way off base and completely wrong.

I have not heard a single member utter anything of that nature. In fact, I was surprised to hear how many of the members I regularly associate with on the trapazoid so concerned for gun rights, especially given the very popular misconception that everyone who shoots trap is a "Fudd" concerned with only their Browning Citori shotguns.

So, yes, as Yanici pointed out, complete and utter BS.

I have not heard a single member utter anything of that nature. In fact, I was surprised to hear how many of the members I regularly associate with on the trapazoid so concerned for gun rights, especially given the very popular misconception that everyone who shoots trap is a "Fudd" concerned with only their Browning Citori shotguns.

So, yes, as Yanici pointed out, complete and utter BS.

I go to all of the meetings and talk to many members regularly. You are way off base and completely wrong.

glad to hear it.

Plain and simple. We know that the ASC ain't Harvard. But, on the other hand, if it sucked donkey di**ks there wouldn't be such a large membership.

Last edited:
Yanici showed me around today. Thanks!

Then he called me a prick.

There's an old health proverb that said, "You are what you eat."

[laugh2][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

In all sincerity, it was nice to meet you and you are a fine young man. Thanks for your service and you'll be a credit to any club that you join.

How did it go at the meeting, Martlet? Were they able to fit you in before the summer break?

No. I walked away a little miffed since I'd emailed the membership director a few days before the deadline and he never got back to me. If he had, I would have been on time.

I got over it though, and will try again in the fall.

Today I went to the into to trap class at ASC. I have never shot trap before today. I didn't do so hot, but i did learn form. This class was very informative and I had a blast. If any of the instructors are on NES, thank you for taking time out of your Father's Day to host this class.

I was there with my sone shooting trap before the class. Glad to hear it was a good class. The instructors are great guys and hopefully you had a chance to see how much fun people were having before the class started.

How does ASC membership work with the spouse? Does spouse require separate full membership along with initiation fees? Is there a minor cost to add spouse and gain another access card? Or do you just share one access card between husband and wife?

You can bring the spouse as many times as you want to but you must still follow the guest range rules. There are special membership rules for family to join, listed below.

http://www.andoversportsmensclub.org/ASC_BY-LAWS_Amended_06-11-09.pdf

3. In the case of a member who has paid at least two years dues, and has been a member in good
standing for at least 24 months, his/her son or daughter, from eighteen(18) years of age to his/her
21st birthday, may choose to join the Club without payment of entrance fee, paying only annual
dues.
3a. In the case of a member who has paid at least two years dues, and has been a member in good
standing for at least 24 months, his/her spouse may join the Club without payment of
entrance fee, paying only annual dues.
3b. In the case of an individual who has been a member of the Club's Scouting Program or the
Club's Youth Program for two years and has not exceeded his/her 21st birthday, he/she may
join the Club without payment of the entrance fee, paying only annual dues.

Hey Guys,
I'm pretty much a noob/lurker around here.
I will be heading up to Andover SC this Sunday for a tour. Anyone going to be there?
I'll also possibly be looking for a second sponsor if anyone is willing.
Thanks

Hey Guys,
I'm pretty much a noob/lurker around here.
I will be heading up to Andover SC this Sunday for a tour. Anyone going to be there?
I'll also possibly be looking for a second sponsor if anyone is willing.
Thanks

You don't need a sponsor to apply for membership. You can download the application from their web site.

I did download the application but haven't read though it yet. Thanks for the information!
It looks like I'll be there Sunday morning to check out the place. Maybe I'll meet one of you guys there.
Thanks

There are a few members from Andover here - most of the complaining you hear about it is not from members but from others with opinions not formed by first hand experience.

The bad:
-Yes, there is a five round limit for pistols and ten for rifles. However, this rule was recently modified to allow revolvers to load to capacity - a small step which will hopefully be something that changes again in the future.

-It is also true that there are no human targets allowed because it is a class A club.

Bottom line, the five round rule sucks, but like I said in another thread recently, it also slows down my shooting and makes me actually work on my skills rather than winging 15 rounds down range every few seconds.

By now Andover MUST have renewed their Class A Club License. I have to ask WHY????????????

I can understand making the mistake once, but when it expired, they should have realized that it was a mistake and not bothered to renew. TTBOMK (and Glidden's) they were the only club in the state foolish enough to fall for this. NO advantage to the club, but gives the AG the right to come in and search the entire property 24-7 WITHOUT a warrant (at least this is what I have been told by LE circles)! Other clubs own/store firearms for juniors and CMP programs w/o problems but don't have a Class A Club License.

I hope they never realize that some revolvers hold 10 rds (S&W 617)! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom