Anschutz 1427 Biathlon Rifles

colt_fan

NES Member
Does anyone here have experience with the 96 rear micrometer sight?
http://www.championshooters.com/store/product.php?productid=775

I bought a few inexpensive target rifles for my biathlon program without rear sights. I figure that for $50, compared to a few hundred, that they would be good enough. Keep in mind that we are aiming to shoot out a 9 ring prone and to get on black at 50 meters. I don't know what a X ring is. :)

Last edited:
I have no direct experience with them, but I think that they should work ok. Summer or Winter Biathlon? If for Winter, I would be a little concerned with how robust they are.

I think it's the same sight that comes on the Crossman Challenger and the Daisy Avanti from CMP.

B

They will be used for summer and winter biathlon. Since these rifles will be used by beginners, they will be racked and not carried. I have 4 of the Savage rifles with the Lyman sights that have held up well.

The new old rifles I got are Anschutz biathlon rifles from the 80s. Hopefully I will have them in hand next week. They also do not come with any magazines, so I need to locate some of them as well.

Last edited:
The older sights certainly are very robust however I think you made a good choice for the money. Please report back about their use as I'm curious and please post pictures of the event if you have an opportunity. I think Biathalon is a very cool sport and probably would have become involved in my youth had there been opportunities. Kudos to you.

I think keeping them racked/on the point is a good idea. Saves wear and tear on the gear.

B

Colt_Fan,

That sight looks almost identical to the one I have on my 10 meter air rifle. It is a very good sight for the money. I have had no issues with it keeping accuracy and we can even walk pellet into the same hole at 25 yrds with it. Good luck with it.

2011-10-15_08-03-38_759.jpg

Picked up the rifles yesterday. 6 barreled receivers with varying degrees of completeness. I was able to get 3 rifles in working order, feed, chamber and fire.

There were 4 bolts that came with the rifles, so I should be able to get 1 more functioning. But its a laundry list of parts I need to locate. From research, it seems that the majority of parts for the 54 bolt are universal... So I can use the 1700 series parts on my rifles. That is what I hope...

I'm going to have a lot of repairs to do on the wood. Any suggestions for cracks?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I bought one of the sights from Champions to test it out. Good thing I did, there is not enough elevation on it with it all the way up. Because of the way the biathlon sights are designed to be used with a snow cover, the front sight is almost 1/4" higher than a regular target rifle. There its a riser available, but I decided to by the real Annie sights. One sight almost cost a much as one of the rifles, ouch! Lets hope we get snow before the 7th!

The $50 sight is exactly what you pay for. Like optics, next time I'm just going to buy the right one first time around.

Last edited:
The wood was damaged beyond repair for me to use Tung oil. So they got whatever free automotive paint was available.

2011-10-15_08-03-38_759.jpg

2011-12-13_10-12-21_821.jpg

So what started as 6 budget rifles, $400 initial cost per, for my biathlon program. Has morphed into 1 fully functioning raceable $2000 rifle.

New Anschutz rear sight, new trigger, magazines, front sight cover, used stock, slings, harness and bunch of other small parts all add up real quick. Now to do the same to 3 of the other rifles. I've been doing things slowly so it's not going to be too bad.

I still have 2 barreled receivers without bolts and a bunged chamber. I'll probably just sell the barreled receivers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom