CMP/HighPower - Acceptable Rifles?

MaverickNH

NES Member
Wondering about rifles used in typical CMP/HighPower competitions. When they say AR-15 service rifles, just how specific is that in terms of make, brand, model, caliber?

I have a BushMaster Shorty A2 that's pretty stock, but has a welded/pinned muzzle brake (which will be loud for neighbors) and fixed A1 stock, as I bring it into MA. That's my only AR-15. I have other 223/556 rifles all on SIG556 platform - one set up with a EOTech XPS3-4 and 3x-Magnifier and one set up with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Also a SIG556R in 762x39 with a 3x-ACOG and a REM700 in 308 with scope set up for long range shooting.

None excellent choices as AR-15 service rifles for competition, I might guess.

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.pdf
Scroll down to page 28 for the CMP "Service Rifle" definitions.
NRA usually goes by CMP rules. Make and model is not an issue. I'm not 100% sure if they are allowing short barrels or not. I see the rule says "barrels no longer than 20". The brake is an issue.

As a new (to high-power) shooter, you will probably be allowed to shoot almost anything you bring to a regular NRA Match. For a CMP EIC Match, you might still be allowed to shoot what you have, but in the event you were "in the money" for any awards, your score would not be eligible.

Last edited:
Wondering about rifles used in typical CMP/HighPower competitions. When they say AR-15 service rifles, just how specific is that in terms of make, brand, model, caliber?

I have a BushMaster Shorty A2 that's pretty stock, but has a welded/pinned muzzle brake (which will be loud for neighbors) and fixed A1 stock, as I bring it into MA. That's my only AR-15. I have other 223/556 rifles all on SIG556 platform - one set up with a EOTech XPS3-4 and 3x-Magnifier and one set up with a Leupold 3-9x40 scope. Also a SIG556R in 762x39 with a 3x-ACOG and a REM700 in 308 with scope set up for long range shooting.

None excellent choices as AR-15 service rifles for competition, I might guess.

You could throw a service rifle upper on your bushy lower and be good to go. White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | High Power Competition

Or if you want to try before you buy, shoot me a PM and you can borrow one of mine for a while.

Last edited:
You could throw a service rifle upper on your bushy lower and be good to go. White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | High Power Competition

Or if you want to try before you buy, shoot me a PM and you can borrow one of mine for a while.

Thanks for the lead. That looks like a decent option. Maybe not much panic inflation on such uppers?

Of the three models show, what are the advantages/disadvantages, and extra parts I might need to complete a competition rifle? Looks like the Service has front/rear sights, CMP needs a rear and Match needs front & rear. What are recommended sights, are they user installable or is gunsmithing required? As well as Match being 26" vs 10" for Service & CMP?

Thanks for the n00b help!

EDIT: They list a 6 month lead time...that kind of misses a lot of the season this year.

Last edited:
If you want to shoot service rifle, then it has to look like something that the service actually issued. So, while you could use an M4gery, you wouldn't want to. You want a 20" upper with a fixed carry handle, free-float tube, national match sights, and upgraded trigger (trigger pull must be above a certain limit, I think 4 1/2 lbs). You can't use a match rifle upper to compete in service rifle. So, are you looking to compete in service rifle or match rifle?

I'd get this one: White Oak Armament | Complete Uppers | High Power Competition | AR15 Upper Post-Ban

Which front sight post you want is a matter of taste. They are easily replaced if you want to try something else.

I was no more than a sharpshooter in service rifle some years back. Jasons, PatMcD, and Derek have far more experience and expertise than I have. So take my opinions with a certain amount of salt...

I can only chime in as a new shooter. I was all over trying to figure out what to get for service rifle. Few things I considered.
1. How much am I really going to compete. For me that came down to no more than 5 matches a year. 3 kids/wife works weekends makes for little free time for matches.
2. Retro fitting a current AR to acceptable service rifle use. After searching out parts and prices it was not feasable to build or retro a match ready service rifle. Now if I where to take my time find used or slightly used items over time I might be better off.
3. I explored the opptions and cost.
In the end I decided to go with the RRA A2 national match model (2011 prices) I was able to order a complete rifle for under 1k delivered from ar15sales.com. I'm not a very good shooter and get little practice. I manage to stay in the low 400s @ cmp reduced matches. I only got to 2 nra matches last year. Hope for at least 3 this year
Only thing I had to change the stock from A2 to A1 to get up to rear sight better.

Thanks for the lead. That looks like a decent option. Maybe not much panic inflation on such uppers?

I don't think he's raised his prices at all. There is a bit of a wait though.

Of the three models show, what are the advantages/disadvantages, and extra parts I might need to complete a competition rifle? Looks like the Service has front/rear sights, CMP needs a rear and Match needs front & rear. What are recommended sights, are they user installable or is gunsmithing required? As well as Match being 26" vs 10" for Service & CMP?

If you want to shoot service rifle class you can either use an A2 style upper with the rear sight built in or a flat-top with a carry handle sight. Most guys stick with the A2 for a couple reasons.

If you want to shoot match rifle, pretty much anything goes. (But that's NRA only. There's no match rifle category in the CMP.)

Only "extra" parts you probably want for a service rifle is a decent trigger. Most guys are using a two stage these days. Rock River on the low end (can be great triggers but need some cleanup and tuning) or Geissele on the higher end (excellent out of the box. Drop it in and go shoot.)

Thanks for the n00b help!

No problem. If you want to get a feel for things before you buy, come out and shoot a CMP clinic. There's one in Nashua on April 27th.

EDIT: They list a 6 month lead time...that kind of misses a lot of the season this year.

Yep. You might want to borrow one or shoot a loaner for a bit. (Or buy a used one to get started. I might have one that I could get rid of.)

Last edited:
Yep. You might want to borrow one or shoot a loaner for a bit. (Or buy a used one to get started. I might have one that I could get rid of.)
I just want to throw another recommendation towards going this route. Have you ever shot in a Highpower match? If not, I would definitely say try before you buy. Any of the matches up in the Northeast (I'll say Reading, Nashua, Scarborough, and Hampden), all you need to do is get ahold of Jason or myself (maybe others?) and let us know you want try it. Free use of a rifle, spotting scope, and all the stuff. I'll even give you the ammo with a few stipulations (think Highpower "Pay it Forward").
Shoot a match or two. If it's something you want to go further in, then we can have a good rifle purchase discussion.

Dead serious on the free use of a rifle. It's there for the asking.

I just want to throw another recommendation towards going this route. Have you ever shot in a Highpower match? If not, I would definitely say try before you buy. Any of the matches up in the Northeast (I'll say Reading, Nashua, Scarborough, and Hampden), all you need to do is get ahold of Jason or myself (maybe others?) and let us know you want try it. Free use of a rifle, spotting scope, and all the stuff. I'll even give you the ammo with a few stipulations (think Highpower "Pay it Forward").
Shoot a match or two. If it's something you want to go further in, then we can have a good rifle purchase discussion.

Dead serious on the free use of a rifle. It's there for the asking.

Definitely. When I was a new shooter people lent me everything to get started. Now it's my turn to pay it forward.

Also I think Nashua has a few club owned rifles that they loan out to new shooters.

Back
Top Bottom