antique milsurps.. what determines date as antique

I'm seeing milsurps with one date on reciever & another date on barrel.
As far as the law goes, which date classifies it as an antique.

A dealer is telling me that the pre 1898 date on reciever classifies it as an antique, however, the barrel is marked 1944...

On another note, suppose I have a pre 1898 milsurp with a bad bore & I replace the barrel with post 1898 that has date on it, is it now no longer an antique as far as the law goes.

The receiver is the actual firearm so the date on that is what counts. Finn rifles with antique receiver dates that have been re-barreled by the Finn arsenals are still considered antiques.
FWIW, when it comes to buying from the place you're thinking of, I'd still send in license copies because I think they have a policy that deamds it for selling to Massachusetts customers.
Scratch that, just noticed you're in NH.

The receiver is the actual firearm so the date on that is what counts. Finn rifles with antique receiver dates that have been re-barreled by the Finn arsenals are still considered antiques.
FWIW, when it comes to buying from the place you're thinking of, I'd still send in license copies because I think they have a policy that deamds it for selling to Massachusetts customers.
Scratch that, just noticed you're in NH.

Yep.. that's the place & I think he asks for license from all customers irregardless of state.

Definitely based upon the receiver, another example is the 1893 mausers rebarelled by the turks in the 1930s - they still count as antique.

Back
Top Bottom