Any Leupold Firedot users

peterk123

NES Member
Looking at stepping up in glass for my 308. Currently I am using a vx3i with, I believe a 4 to 12 magnification. Simple duplex reticle. I like the clarity of the Leupolds, so I am thinking of sticking with it. It has also been quite reliable. Considering the VX5 3-15x44 with the fire dot. Question is if the firedot comes in handy while I hunting? I have not had issues yet with the plain duplex, but I have also not placed my crosshairs yet on say, a black bear in low light. OPen to other suggestions as well, since these things go for a grand. Thx Pete

While I don't have a Leupold, I have a MEOPTA OPTIKA6 that is a simple crosshair with a dot.

I love it. But no way I would use that past 300 yards.

I like how clear the Leupold glass is.

My suggestion, go to BassPro and check them out, they usually have a lot of Leupold scopes.

Last year I got my first firedot. The feature isn’t needed for most of the day, but is super handy the first and last 45 minutes of the day. I have a Burris with a similar dot but it’s too bright in low light. Definitely recommend the Leupold.

Dave
I've had a Leupold VX6 3-18X50 with the firedot reticle on my Sako A7 Roughtech Range in 7mm mag for 7 years. As Dave said, you normally don't need the firedot, but the glass is so good that it's usable in that 1/2 hour before sunrise/after sunset that most hunting regs call out and that's when the firedot really comes in handy. Like I said, it's been on the 7mm mag, which has a pretty stout recoil, since Nov, 2016 with 100% reliability. On my 3-18x50 the dot is only 1.2 MOA at 3x and 0.2 MOA at 18x, so it doesn't occlude much of your target.

Edited to correct before sunrise/after sunset.

Last edited:
a black bear in low light
This is exactly why I tried the Firedot. I like Leupold in general for the value it represents vs. the higher-end manufacturers. I had a clean miss on a larger than average bear with an older, traditional cross-hairs scope. Afterwards, I looked at several of the red dots and decided to try the Leupold. I own three now. They are very good in this low-light scenario against a solid black object. I'm usually hunting in northern ME, also with a .308 so I decided on the 2.5-7x magnification. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom