• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any talk of online HAM exams during societal shutdown?

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
A few months ago I gathered resources for a HAM license. Intended to study a while and then just shoot for all three levels in one sitting. Now we're in COVID isolation and the Extra question set will be updated in July. I know the questions won't change too much but it makes me wonder if anyone's discussed online testing. Of course an online license exam would be essentially open book and may seem less legitimate, but has anyone heard it discussed?

If only I had followed through and tested when I first bought an ARRL book in 1997!

the Extra question set will be updated in July. I know the questions won't change too much

Planning to get my extra some time this year I spent last week comparing the old and new question pools side by side. There are enough changes that unless you know theory pretty well I would study the group you're testing on.

So the Extra question set is getting updated but from my understanding the General question set is going to remain the same for a little while now correct?

So the Extra question set is getting updated but from my understanding the General question set is going to remain the same for a little while now correct?
They rotate on the 3 exams, each set of questions is good for 4 years.
They were revised as follows:
Tech - 2018
General - 2019
Extra will be updated 7/1/2020

They rotate on the 3 exams, each set of questions is good for 4 years.
They were revised as follows:
Tech - 2018
General - 2019
Extra will be updated 7/1/2020
I was thinking about taking my extra exam at nearfest this fall if they have it. I'll keep checking to see when the new question hits the street.

My understanding:
No license required for emergency transmissions.
The state and country are in a state of emergency/disaster.

IANAL YMMV

here are the specific exceptions for unlicensed use. I don’t think you’ll get much respect for keying up the local repeater to chat as “Mr Brownstone” or some shit claiming the general pandemic emergency [rofl]

§ 97.403
Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

§ 97.405
Station in distress.
(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.
(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

Back
Top Bottom