• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ham License Class

Nashua, NH

Amateur Radio License Class Offerings: $40
Our next scheduled class will be a Technician License Class, which will be held on February 17th and 18th, 2024.

We will hold a General License Class on March 16th and 17th, 2024. This is a 2-day class to help you upgrade your license to General Class.

We will also hold an Extra Class in the Spring on April 19th, 20th, and 21st, 2024.

Last edited:
Nashua, NH

Yes, but it is NOT in Nashua. NARS is running everything Virtual. So the classes and exams are done via Zoom. No travel involved.

I finished reading the Technician Class book today, I am going to take a break and start reading it again on Sunday. Hopefully that will help me understand it better. I am signed up for the class and exam scheduled for next weekend.
Speak up if you have any questions.

I finished reading the Technician Class book today, I am going to take a break and start reading it again on Sunday. Hopefully that will help me understand it better. I am signed up for the class and exam scheduled for next weekend.

Hopefully you've been taking practice tests online. Nothing can prepare you better for the exam than answering the actual test questions.

Another way to study for the test is to print the question pool, highlight the correct answers and run through those a bunch of times. You want to focus on the correct answer and ignore the incorrect answers.

Another way to study for the test is to print the question pool, highlight the correct answers and run through those a bunch of times. You want to focus on the correct answer and ignore the incorrect answers.

Hamexam.org lets you print the question pool with only the correct answer showing. Never seeing the wrong answers makes recognizing the correct one easier.

Now you've got me thinking. I should set a goal of "before June", which would put me one year out from my "technician" license.

Now you've got me thinking. I should set a goal of "before June", which would put me one year out from my "technician" license.

Do it. Getting your General will open the HF bands to you.

Print the question pool with the correct answers only, Carry it with you and read it every free moment.

The QVARC has exam sessions in West Brookfield the last Tuesday of April and June.

Challenge.. pass the General exam in West Brookfield in April and I'll cover your $15 exam fee.

Don't forget that you can keep taking tests as long as you pass them for that one fee ... I didn't know that when I prepped for my Tech license or I might have left with my Extra. As it was, I was a couple of questions short that first day and had to go back a second time to get that one :) Getting access to the HF bands really makes it worth it.

Hey folks, I have taken several of the practice exams, not doing well, always one or two questions wrong, than allowed. Usually acronyms and formulas.

Hey folks, I have taken several of the practice exams, not doing well, always one or two questions wrong, than allowed. Usually acronyms and formulas.
From what I recall, the formulas are mostly some variation of:

1. V = IR
2. P = VI
3. wavelength = 300 / frequency in MHz

If you know those three and variations of those three (i.e. I = V/R), you're in good shape.

Acronyms are just memorization. It helps to know what the acronym means, but also just memorize the correct answer and ignore the incorrect answers.

If there are any questions or concepts you just don't understand, just ask.

I always point people to Dan Romanchik's (KB6NU) study guides. The Technician guide is free.

Looking to get system for the truck. I am looking at ways to mount a radio without punching holes. I may be getting an HT from the club that taught the exam.

Looking to get system for the truck. I am looking at ways to mount a radio without punching holes. I may be getting an HT from the club that taught the exam.
Nice on the HT. There's also the Jump Start program through QRZ/Gigaparts if you want a non-Baofeng inexpensive HT. The program is for newly licensed hams.

I have a Lido mount in my car. I don't leave a radio in there. I just use it for road trips, so not a ton of run time with it. The one I have uses the passenger seat bold, and the mounting plate holds a remote face plate and mic hanger. You could probably fit more. I just toss the body of the radio on the passenger seat because I run off a battery, but you could easily stuff that under a seat.

I have a mag mount antenna that does pretty good. It's been temporary for a couple years now. I think I'd like to switch to a lip mount that goes on the hood or fender, maybe the hatchback, and run coax/power through the firewall. You see a lot of lip mounts on trucks, too.

Thank you for the suggestions. I was thinking about a mount that use the passenger seat bolts. I know that they are available for laptops and actually that would be perfect.

Since mine isn't permanent, I wish I had gotten the removable one. Fortunately I don't have any friends so nobody ever rides in the passenger seat to ask why that thing is there.

I am really impressed with the quality. I would buy another Lido product.

Back
Top Bottom