Anyone been denied their Utah Permit?

Where is the fairness for someone who 21 years ago was arrested in another country for posession of less than 1/2 gram( a misdemeanor) of cocaine and is now banned from obtaining his ccw in CT. and has since lived a clean, proper life and is allowed to purchase and own rifles. But in CT after 20 years a mentally incompetent can obtain their ccw.

Or polygamy among Utah cats that drink.

Ken

2uf61p4.jpg

I took the training and qualified for the Florida permit and now am wondering if I can submit my scores to utah and get their permit as well.

FYI, there's no special training needed for a CWFL (Florida permit). They're very lenient. A DD 214 is enough proof of training for them.

Why would you want someone that will drive a 3500lbs. killing machine impaired without thinking about the consequences doing the same with a gun?

Why would you think that a plastic card in their wallet with their picture on it would prevent them from doing stupid things with guns, when the plastic card in their wallet with their picture on it didn't prevent them from drinking and driving?

He is a felon, a loser, a violent criminal most likely. Not the kind of person who should be legally allowed to give us all a bad name. Commit crimes, loose rights and privileges. Been that way for a long time. I have no sympathy for felons, they are the scum of the earth and a good majority will use a firearm to further their crimes. Police need good charges to bring on them like felon in possession, etc. Sure no law will stop them from obtaining guns but I'm quite happy when criminals get jammed up for their guns. Less people out there giving us a bad name.

We are law abiding, we don't use firearms to rob/steal/kill so its not a problem unless you plan on becoming a felon someday.

Sounds like you're talking about violent felons, not the ones who wrote a bad check or shot a friend with a BB gun and took a plea deal years back because a lawyer told them that would be the easiest way to make it go away.

It's not that way in every state, but get your first conviction (or guilty plea) on a Massachusetts DUI and you're barred for life nation-wide.

Correct you are. I guess cja1987 doesn't know that a DUI in Mass. is considered a felony by the feds.

Where is the fairness for someone who 21 years ago was arrested in another country for posession of less than 1/2 gram( a misdemeanor) of cocaine and is now banned from obtaining his ccw in CT. and has since lived a clean, proper life and is allowed to purchase and own rifles. But in CT after 20 years a mentally incompetent can obtain their ccw.

Sounds like your friend got nabbed in Mexico. I explained that in another post that I'm linking to below.

I have never heard of a civil case being used under Brady/Giglio, probably for the same reasons that the Supreme Court ruled the way that they did in the Small v. United States case*; since different courts have different standards, the only standards that they can rely on are the ones that they know, i.e. criminal cases. In criminal court, the burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt," while in most civil courts, the burden of proof is only "the preponderance of the evidence." Legally this would make it similar to comparing apples to oranges, or Glocks to 1911's. [laugh]

*On a note that'll probably be interesting to gun owners, the Small case ruled that felony convictions in other countries don't apply to the "felon in possession" charges here in the US, because of lack of uniformity in the laws of countries around the world. However, this doesn't apply to felony convictions in Mexico, as evidenced in the case Bean v. United States where a US FFL holder was caught accidentally bringing 200 rounds of ammo into Mexico. Because of an international treaty, US citizens convicted of crimes in Mexico can serve their time here in the US, which then makes you a felon in the eyes of the US laws, even though the legal standards are different. [rolleyes]

Can you clarify what you mean? I don't see how a state level non felony is a felony at the federal level just because its from MA.

Do you mean it is the equivalent of a felony at the federal level as in you may effectively be DQ'ed from owning certain guns due to lack of LTC-A?

Just curious, I was leaving this thread alone, made my points. Some, very understandably, disagree with me. Thats fine. I'm not arguing any more :)

Check out the link in my sigline about felons and FID's, I explained it all there. [grin]

Can you clarify what you mean? I don't see how a state level non felony is a felony at the federal level just because its from MA.

Do you mean it is the equivalent of a felony at the federal level as in you may effectively be DQ'ed from owning certain guns due to lack of LTC-A?

Just curious, I was leaving this thread alone, made my points. Some, very understandably, disagree with me. Thats fine. I'm not arguing any more :)

Look at the actual text of 18 USC 922(g). Everybody commonly uses the term "felony" as shorthand, but the law actually refers to crimes with a maximum penalty of more than one year. Offenses that states consider to be misdemeanors that have maximum sentences up to two years can be excluded, but once the maximum penalty exceeds two years, it' becomes a permanent federal disqualifier.

The only out is if the state will later allow you to possess any firearm. Since Massachusetts won't issue at LTC, thus prohibiting you from possessing handguns and some rifles and shotguns, you're screwed even with an FID. Possess one of the long guns Mass allows you to possess when they issued you the FID and you're looking at a Club Fed vacation.

Ken

However, it is possible to appeal one of those convictions to the Firearms Licensing Review Board.

Back
Top Bottom