Anyone ever break an AR-15 bolt?

Prolly a non-Colt bolt; the Colt has an MP stamp which stands for 'magnetic particle' tested...MP will detect flaws in the steel which can lead to 40.00 keychains Jim Factory Colt M-16 Armorer

Can you tell me which other companies use this magnetic particle testing? Thanks Jim [grin]

Bravo Company MP tests their bolts, and I belive that some made by CMT are also tested.
I am not sure if LMT bolts are tested, though if I had to guess, I would say that they are as well.

Steve

Bravo Company MP tests their bolts, and I belive that some made by CMT are also tested.
I am not sure if LMT bolts are tested, though if I had to guess, I would say that they are as well.
Steve

My LMT, Bravo and GTS/Denny's super duty AR15 bolt carrier groups have MP tested bolts. (although I didn't see just the bolts for sale on GTS's website) Spikes Tactical sells MP tested bolts in phosphate and chrome finish, about the same price as a BCM bolt.

Check out this video I seen it and thought about this post. AR bolt care

My opinions of Yeager aside, it's good to know that the bolt cracking there isn't that uncommon of a thing. I am not however, going to use wheel bearing grease in any of my firearms. CLP worked fine for me with my military firearms and hasn't failed me yet with my personally owned guns. One thing that I have learned from this though, is that I'm going to put a drop of oil in each hole of the carrier to lube the bolt before I shoot it from now on. That alone, despite the carbon, probably would have saved the bolt from it's doom.

Back
Top Bottom