• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone have Nassau County pistol permit reinstated after suspension?

I had my pistol permit automatically suspended when I was arrested back in December 2018. Right after the arrest I received a letter from the Nassau County Police staying my permit would be suspended for a year and I had to surrender my handguns to them. I was also told that after the year was up and the court case was over I had to submit a letter to them stating what happened and then they would investigate and decide whether or not to reinstate and return my pistols to me. Of course I am really hoping that I get my permit reinstated and was wondering if anyone has gone through this process in Nassau County and could let me know what they had to do and what to expect.

isn't nassau county in new york? we have issues trying to figure out our massachusetts bureaucracy.

Definitely need to have a lawyer in on that whole shit show. I'd never submit a letter to a PD without having a lawyer go over it.

Sorry, OP. There are not too many New Yorkers on here, active, and knowledgeable about the laws of one specific LI county; I understand why you posted, but it's a pretty esoteric question and I'd be surprised if you'll get a lot of good info here.

Good luck to you!

Sorry, OP. There are not too many New Yorkers on here, active, and knowledgeable about the laws of one specific LI county; I understand why you posted, but it's a pretty esoteric question and I'd be surprised if you'll get a lot of good info here.

Good luck to you!
Well, Jack gave him the best info. Find a NY lawyer knowledgable of NY gun laws. Check the NY state gun owners association for referrals to suitable attorneys to help. Good luck.

The newbs/trolls are coming out of the woodwork the past couple of months.

Why would you have to submit a letter to the police explaining what happened when they were the ones who arrested and charged you?

I gotta vote again on get a lawyer. This would one of those situations where going it on your own, thinking that if you behave like a responsible human being that police will for some reason treat you the same can quickly put you in no man's land.

The newbs/trolls are coming out of the woodwork the past couple of months.

Why would you have to submit a letter to the police explaining what happened when they were the ones who arrested and charged you?

My guess would be for the reviewing judge to hear your side of the story, may not be the same judge, just saying. As far as turning the firearms over to the PD, sounds like one of their rules, they should be able to go to an FFL to secure them, at least they will be cared for and not dumped in to a box for storage. The bad news is the 1st hurdle would be a lawyer in getting them back, second would be that you would have to do background checks on them (NICS) even though they are yours to satisfy the Un-Safe act and the fact there sounds like more than one firearm involved and the fact that they have been out of your possession.

Back
Top Bottom