Anyone heard of the Lantern Outernet?

Here's a BBC article in it:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29593734

interesting aspect:

Because the Outernet is effectively a one-way connection, it would not provide email or other chat facilities.

But internet-less users would be able to request specific content be added by sending its operators an SMS text message or letter.

Net-connected organizations can, however, pay a fee to have their own material added to broadcasts at specific times, providing a source of revenue.

That's kind of interesting. I'm still not sure how it works though. You can't simultaneously broadcast all content (or a big subset of it) on the Internet all at once, so what do they do -- broadcast it all in a loop and you pick up the pieces of it you want when it loops back to what you want? How long would the loop take?

Actually, it is looking less interesting. I guess it stores data it downloads, although I can't find how much storage it has, or how big the total size of the data loop is going to be. I'm guessing maybe 32-64GB SD card, which isn't a whole lot. It might be a little more interesting if the data loop had TB's of data and you could specify in advance which subset(s) of it you are interested in. But, I didn't see any info to indicate it operates this way.

I might as well use HTTrack Website Copier to copy what I want (to SD card, or a much larger 2TB HD or something) while I have a connection; done.

Unless I'm still missing something about this that makes it better than downloading stuff yourself.

Back
Top Bottom