Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The complication is whether and when component manufacturers invest in increased production capacity. If Trump loses, they probably will. If he wins, they probably won't. Impossible to know how it works out, but increased production is a natural consequence of an expectation for sustained, unfulfilled demand in a capitalist economy.
It depends how hard it is to manufacture more primers and the cost.

Seems like the biggest cost is in manufacturing the chemical. The cups can't be expensive and every video I have ever seen is usually a woman applying the chemical to the primers, so there doesn't seem to be a lot involved.

I was listening to a reloaders network podcast a week or so back and they were talking about a company that does sell the compound to reuse primers. It comes in four parts so not hazardous and able to ship. I can’t remember the name of the company right now but if I get time I’ll try to look into it. We’re gonna start seeing used primers up for sale soon if this keeps it up.

I was listening to a reloaders network podcast a week or so back and they were talking about a company that does sell the compound to reuse primers. It comes in four parts so not hazardous and able to ship. I can’t remember the name of the company right now but if I get time I’ll try to look into it. We’re gonna start seeing used primers up for sale soon if this keeps it up.
Do you feel this might significantly increase the likelihood of piercing the primer?

Does one have to remove the anvil, press out the firing pin indent, install new compound while wet, reinstall the anvil, wait for it to dry then load the primer into ammo?

I’m no pro but I’d think it’s likelihood probably increases. They were talking about having to dolly out firing pin strike as well but hey when there going for 7-800 per case hmmm [rofl]

I've been wondering how long it will take before people raid the dud cans for all the rounds with unstruck primers that were discarded for whatever reasons other than actually being a dud.
I’ve invented a machine for reloading primers..the cost will be....

$1 Million Dollars...mau hau hau hau...

I guess it could be done, I just looked at my used primers and they are not deformed like I thought they would be.

What happens if the firing pin strikes in the same spot again?

Also, I have 5K used primers. $35/1K. Get them now while they are cheap.

Last edited:
They should be fine. Everything I’ve read on the subject of old primers says as long as they weren’t stored in horrible conditions they should be good. The previous owner has been at this a looooong time.
This. I’ve shot some CCI SP primers from the 70s without any issues.

The MSDSs for those baggies would be interesting.

Picked these up yesterday for $20 each. Over 50 years old!

Very nice. Those have the wooden trays, I presume?
I've used those, as well as .45 Auto ammo from 1914 - 1918. A few duds with the ammo, but most popped off just fine. I wouldn't rely on it for carry ammo, but at the range, np!

Picture isn't the 1914 fodder, but it's a head stamp that you don't find very regularly.

Attachments

• Royal Ammunition.JPG
    Royal Ammunition.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 8
  • .303Brit1b.jpg
    .303Brit1b.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 8
I can't imagine the tedium of keeping used primers stored by type and hand working them like that. The only equivalent I've seen to that is some guys reloading .223 bullets using 22LR cases as bullet jackets.

The MSDSs for those baggies would be interesting.
I just realized - since each component is packaged separately, allowing for exposure to only a single component, the vendor would be required to provide a separate MSDS for each packet, with an indication as to what packet each MSDS applies to.

I'm not lazy by any means , But I'll be shooting flaming arrows before I start reloading primers. I 'm hoping that the multiple thousands of Lg. Pistol Primers will last me till 1. this whole shortage BS is over .or 2. I'm doing the dirt nap. I stopped loading 9MM when I filled enough ammo cans to need more space in my ammo safe. So I'm only loading .45 ACP when I shoot some of the stockpile.

Last edited:
I doubt that the primer manufacturers are going to cease production entirely, so we'll see this shortage through. hang in there. It may be stressful for a while, but things will get back to some degree of normalcy.
If civilization, as we know it, comes to an end or if we have a nuclear holocaust, buying primers won't matter much.
Assuming a future that mirrors the past, I'll just have to buy some different firearms, so I can shoot off all of those reloads in calibers for which I don't shoot presently. I know there are a few others here in the same predicament.

I doubt that the primer manufacturers are going to cease production entirely, so we'll see this shortage through.
This is the third great primer shortage, though indications are this is the most severe of the three since it has extended to shortages on ammo.

Demand is up across the board, and there is a pecking order as to who gets the primers - and individual consumers are at the end of the line.

There will be a "new normal" price when this is all over that is less than the crisis price but distinctly more than pre-shortage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom