Anyone Know Where to Get Primers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That only bumps my per round $ four cents, which in this climate is completely acceptable. Guess I am down to paying $68 per thousand for primers versus $600 per thousand of loaded ammo.
Yeah that’s the way I look at it too. I “overpaid“ for 5k CCI magnum SP and 5k Federal magnum match SP last week. $564 shipped for 10k. I bought them for others who need them so if you (or @peterk123) have any interest in buying them at cost let me know. The vendor told me they’ll be shipping tomorrow so maybe get them by the end of next week
5AA4871B-E029-4BBF-8FD4-955065040B78.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah that’s the way I look at it too. I “overpaid“ for 5k CCI magnum SP and 5k Federal magnum match SP last week. $564 shipped for 10k. I bought them for others who need them so if you (or @peterk123) have any interest in buying them at cost let me know. The vendor told me they’ll be shipping tomorrow so maybe get them by the end of next week
View attachment 405137
Alright, you guys convinced me..they sat around a long time..

Well it’s taking long enough. I know it’s been in the evaluate and repair state at least all this week, if not extending back further (not hounding them). If they had a mind to give me a new frame, seems like the explanation would be that they don’t have any on hand, whereas if they have to refinish a highly polished blued frame, that would take some days to process.

Got it back to day. I'm pleased. It was, as Rob said, refinished, so looks great. More importantly, the trigger no longer stacks as it did when it was new, so I have no reason to open it up. I wonder if the hammer stud had anything to do with that problem. It was hard to understand what was happening because it was unpredictable.

More on-topic, I was also happy today to see that the estimated delivery date for the primers I got (just one brick of SPPs) is now scheduled to arrive on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I'm not sure what's going to happen on Wednesday, but I'm not expecting it to be good.

Got it back to day. I'm pleased. It was, as Rob said, refinished, so looks great. More importantly, the trigger no longer stacks as it did when it was new, so I have no reason to open it up. I wonder if the hammer stud had anything to do with that problem. It was hard to understand what was happening because it was unpredictable.

More on-topic, I was also happy today to see that the estimated delivery date for the primers I got from (just one brick of SPPs) is now scheduled to arrive on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I'm not sure what's going to happen on Wednesday, but I'm not expecting it to be good.
Can you delete the vendor name? Thanks.
The 1 box limits on primers is brutal.
My 10k SPP just shipped today. The 5k CCI magnum SPs are spoken for. Just need to find someone who wants the federal match magnum SPs. Scheduled for Wednesday delivery.

Can you delete the vendor name? Thanks.
The 1 box limits on primers is brutal.
My 10k SPP just shipped today. The 5k CCI magnum SPs are spoken for. Just need to find someone who wants the federal match magnum SPs. Scheduled for Wednesday delivery.

If you are selling, I will take 2 or 3K of those Federal SP.

The hammer stud is press fit into the frame, but the part that sticks out where you have the sideplate has a rounded end that sits in a partial depth hole in the sideplate. It is possible for the pin to break but due to the geometry of the break stay relatively in position with the right side held by the sideplate allowing he hammer to move around a bit.'

The trigger pin on an S&W is attached the same way.

Last edited:
The hammer stud is press fit into the frame, but the part that sticks out when you have the sideplate has a rounded end that sits in a partial depth hold in he sideplate. It is possible for the pin to break but due to the geometry of the break stay relatively in position with the right side held by the sideplate allowing he hammer to move around a bit.'

You're right about that. After the stud broke it would still function in single action because pulling on the hammer from the spur is different from pushing on the hammer dog from inside. However, the stacking was present from the beginning, whereas the break is known to be recent, at least the full separation. Maybe it cracked when they installed it or after they installed the side plate for the first time. Or maybe I screwed it up somehow when I shimmed the hammer. If so, I'm not sorry. It was only something I did because of the stacking. Actually the shimming and a slightly reduced power return spring had fixed the problem, but 600 or so rounds later, the stud was broken. Now, with the new hammer stud, no stacking. You be the judge.

My go to places that will deliver don’t have an option to “email me when in stock” 😢
Bass Pro/Cabelas and Natchez Shooting Supply have been getting primers somewhat regularly. They don't ship to MA and their notification system doesn't work because they sell out so fast. I use an app called discord that's somehow connected with Reddit and bots etc so people report when primers, ammo, powder etc are back in stock.

Bass Pro/Cabelas and Natchez Shooting Supply have been getting primers somewhat regularly. They don't ship to MA and their notification system doesn't work because they sell out so fast. I use an app called discord that's somehow connected with Reddit and bots etc so people report when primers, ammo, powder etc are back in stock.
Maybe I’ll just have to keep checking cabelas and bass pro more regularly and use my $450 cabelas points from my credit card.

Last edited:
You might say that I saw 2020 coming from a mile away.
image.jpg
My last count was just north of 50,000 and I’ve stocked enough powder to fill every single case (hovering right around 100lbs). My only real deficiency is projectiles (Only have about 20k or so, and the rest can easily be made from the ingots in my garage.)

I started shooting when I got home from my Marine Corps initial training in 2012, but really didn’t get rolling until after Sandy Hook. I pledged to myself that I would never in my life get caught with my pants down again. I bought a lot of this before I moved last year, but bought up a lot of the powder when I got here (and even brought some home to share the wealth with a few NESr’s this past summer).

I didn’t get a ‘Covid-cation’ at all...like not even a day off...but if I have my druthers, I’m going to be doing a LOT of casting/reloading this winter.

Moral of the story is, primers and powder ‘keep’ very well...might as well take out a home equity line of credit the next time this stuff is available and get your lions share so you never EVER have to worry about it again.

p.s. there aren’t any storage laws in Indiana, so Maura’s dick can’t reach me from there.

Last edited:
View attachment 405918
My last count was just north of 50,000 and I’ve stocked enough powder to fill every single case (hovering right around 100lbs). My only real deficiency is projectiles (Only have about 20k or so, and the rest can easily be made from the ingots in my garage.)

I started shooting when I got home from my Marine Corps initial training in 2012, but really didn’t get rolling until after Sandy Hook. I pledged to myself that I would never in my life get caught with my pants down again. I bought a lot of this before I moved last year, but bought up a lot of the powder when I got here (and even brought some home to share the wealth with a few NESr’s this past summer).

I didn’t get a ‘Covid-cation’ at all...like not even a day off...but if I have my druthers, I’m going to be doing a LOT of casting/reloading this winter.

Moral of the story is, primers and powder ‘keep’ very well...might as well take out a home equity line of credit the next time this stuff is available and get your lions share so you never EVER have to worry about it again.

p.s. there aren’t any storage laws in Indiana, so Maura’s dick can’t reach me from there.
Niiiiice!

I dunno- you might want to be careful about that. I heard every time Maura tells a lie it does something like this...
tenor.gif

LOL glad you are enjoying freedom and taking care of 'fellow NESers'. ;)

View attachment 405918

Don't forget the local guy, stopped at Glenn's this afternoon. Good people. Still had some CCI 41, LPP, and LR. Didn't have a lot, but they had some. I almost bought more, but I want to go to heaven.

He's got tons of powder and bullets in stock too.

View attachment 405918

Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom