• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own a S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series? Worth the money?

DW357

NES Member
I got a Hornadly LNL press back in December and got all the components to reload 9mm and .38/.357 mag including primers, powders, bullets, and brass. But I've always wanted a 1911 pistol and I don't really want to buy a 1911 in .45 since I'll have to buy all new components for .45. So it seems like the SW1911 Pro Series 9mm is practically the only 1911 in 9mm that we can get in MA unless you've found a dealer to transfer a Kimber or Springfield. Does anyone own or have any experience with the S&W 1911 Pro Series 9mm? Seems like the going price is around $1,200 and theres a lightly used one on GunBroker starting for $900. Are these pistols worth that kind of money and have any of you guys had any issues with this pistol? I've read mixed reviews online.

My uncle has one. I have personally put about 400 rounds through the gun. I LOVE it. I'm looking forward to the day when I am able to purchase my own. It is a beautiful, accurate out of the box and tight pistol. The recoil is considerably less than any other 1911 I have ever shot and not just because it's 9mm. Good luck.

I have a few hundred rounds through mine, and its been flawless. Pretty accurate at 50yds as well. I am going to change the front site for something i can see though, as it comes with just contrast sites.

I have one that I use to shoot USPSA Single Stack division. The trigger is absolutely fantastic, and the recoil is light and smooth. My reasoning for getting the 9mm 1911 was basically the same as yours - I already shoot and reload 9mm, and didn't want to get into another caliber. I load 4.0 gr of Titegroup with a 124gr JHP Montana Gold bullet, runs the gun perfectly.

Well that's good to hear. Yeah a friend of mine has one and when I shot it, I was blown away by the smooth trigger and the overall finish of the gun. But wow are they expensive, I'll definitely have to save up for one in the future.

Nice guns and worth the money from my perspective. ShaneF here on the forum has one that he shoots VERY well.

As Ferris Beuller said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Oh, and don't worry, you WILL eventually have a 1911 in .45 [wink]

Last edited:
The only negative things I read about the gun were the stock fixed sights. Any other issues you guys have had? I'm sure it isn't that expensive to have a gunsmith install fiber optic or some other adjustable sights. You could buy a price gouged AR-15 for the price of one 1911 pro series but I'm sure the gun is worth the money and will last a LONG time. I'll have to start saving up.

The Novak style sights are quite good and the rear is drift adjustable for windage. Both sights are dovetailed so replacement can be done by anyone with a modicum of skill.

I have shot the pro series in 9mm, and own one in .45. You cannot go wrong. Everyone who has shot "other" pistols remarks about the wonderful trigger pull on these guns. Think of it this way, it is like shooting a revolver, after you cock it, smooth, light, nice.

Triggers on 1911 are straight pulls, rather than a pivot, it makes a difference.

There's two different models available, the one I got is SKU 178047 and comes with a rear sight that is adjustable for elevation and windage. I replaced the front sight with a Dawson Precision fiber optic.

I love my pro series 9mm, well made, solid out of the box and a lot of nice features. Whether it's worth it is only a question you can answer but it was to me!

I got a Hornadly LNL press back in December and got all the components to reload 9mm and .38/.357 mag including primers, powders, bullets, and brass. But I've always wanted a 1911 pistol and I don't really want to buy a 1911 in .45 since I'll have to buy all new components for .45. So it seems like the SW1911 Pro Series 9mm is practically the only 1911 in 9mm that we can get in MA unless you've found a dealer to transfer a Kimber or Springfield. Does anyone own or have any experience with the S&W 1911 Pro Series 9mm? Seems like the going price is around $1,200 and theres a lightly used one on GunBroker starting for $900. Are these pistols worth that kind of money and have any of you guys had any issues with this pistol? I've read mixed reviews online.

One word. Awesome!

Thanks for all of the advice and information, much appreciated. Yeah I'm use to shooting my M&P 9 with a carry trigger job, and a GP100 revolver with a Greg Derr trigger job. I'm not too familiar with 1911's but the few times I've shot them, I just couldn't get over the trigger! It feels like you don't even have to move it, just touch it and it shoots. I don't want really want to sell my M&P to fund purchasing the SW1911 9mm. I'll just start saving, although the lightly used one on GB for $900 is tempting. Otherwise I've never seen any for sale at any of my LGS's.

1911 is .45 caliber. you can not have 1911 in 9mm

It is a great gun. Shoots like a 22. Low recoil, well built. Accurate. Cheap to shoot.

If you reload 45, I wouldnt run out and buy one, I would just get the 45, but if you dont reload then it is a way to practice for less. If you want something your recoil sensitive significant other will happily shoot, then it is a great gun for that too.

No I just reload 9mm and .38/.357 so that's why I was interested in the 1911 9mm. I don't want to spend a ton of money on large pistol primers, .45 bullets, and brass when I'm all set up for 9mm. We just did a group buy at my local club and I got 5,000 115 gr 9mm and 5,000 125 gr .38 spl bullets (company is called X-Treme Bullets) for a total of $730 shipped. They're copper plated but they say you can run them at jacketed velocities since they have a fairly thick plating on their bullets. So I'd like to stick with 9mm for the time being not .45.

I would love to have one!

That said, I do have a Commander sized stainless railed frame 9mm built by Remsport.

I purchased it specifically for my girlfriend who had been convinced by her "Instructor" that she should find something no bigger than a .380

This 9mm shoots like a dream, recoils like a .22, and is silly accurate way beyond defensive distances. She loves it!

Someday, I'll have one for myself.

I have one its quite expensive but like everyone else say damn near perfection for a 9 in a 1911 platform. It will just end up ruining you and you will compare everything else to it and never be happy with anything else.

Great gun. I'm happy with mine. Seems very well made. I may look into a trigger job down the road but it's not a priority right now.
I paid about $1200 new for mine. We don't have a lot of choices for a 9mm 1911 in PRM and I had thought about having one built. I was looking at probably close to $2000 for what I wanted. With the S&W 1911 I got almost everything I wanted in a 9mm 1911.
100_0413.jpg

My other 1911 is a Gold Cup, nuff said.

It is an absolutely fantastic gun. My wife shoots one, and I loved hers so much I got my own. Tack-drivers. Load up some 147gr 9mm and shoot powder-puffs and giggle like a school girl. A FUN FUN gun to shoot.

Very nice gun, accurate and nice trigger. Just be aware you may have to try several different makes of magazines to find what works well and doesn't jam. 9mm in a 1911 platform is known to jam quite freqently. A friend started with Wilson Combat, then tried Metalform and finally got Tripp which have so far worked flawlessly. Mine wouldn't run with the Wilsons, the Metalform wouldn't fall free and I too, have had success so far with the Tripp. Others have had different results. It depends on the gun.

I wanted one the minute I picked one up. Bought it, shot it, never have I had a regret. Worth every penny. Bought mine with factory adjustable sights. They line up fast and never needed tweeking. Gun is FUN to shoot, and ridiculously accurate. Precision made and fitted by S&W. I look forward to many years of use out of this one.

Gary

Another thing to consider... This is a beautiful, high quality gun and is 9mm like you want, but it is like you mentioned - as expensive as an AR (which I would personally buy first if you don't own one). For about half of the cost you can buy a high quality Ruger SR1911 in .45, that I would wager you wouldn't be able to find anything inferior in fit and finish, and have $500-$600 leftover to buy .45 factory ammo, or easily enough to add a set of dies to your LNL and buy some components. Not saying this is the best way for YOU to go, but it would be for me. Don't get me wrong, I would love a Pro series 9mm, but the cost difference doesn't make sense to me because I currently don't reload and you can buy a heck of a lot of practice .45 for the cost difference.

Yeah I don't own an AR...yet anyways, sure as hell ain't going to buy one right now with the prices the way they are. I think in the short term getting something like the SR1911 would be more cost effective and you could buy a bunch of .45 ammo with the cost difference. But long term after buying bullets, primers, brass, powders, shell plates, dies, it will certainly cost more than owning the SW1911 9mm because I already have all of the components for 9mm and enough primers (10,000) and 9mm bullets (5,000) to last years of shooting.

I'm not going to run out and find one immediately, I'll wait around for a while and see if I can find a used one for a cheaper price at some point. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Andrew,

This is Janda from the CASC. I'm sitting in a hospital right now as my wife delivered early!!! I just picked this gun up on Tuesday! Have not shot it yet, but hope to as soon as we get the little guy home safe & sound. You are welcome to try it out. Shoot me a text or PM me. The gun is a work of art. Can't wait to shoot. Bring some 9mm and help me break it in.

Last edited:
I owned two of the Pro Series in 9mm, one with the fixed sights and one with the adjustable....sold both to NES members and regret it everyday!!!! By far the best 9mm 1911 for the money out there. I have Wilson Combat and Ed Brown 1911's that cost 3 and 1/2 times and would buy and S&W in a heartbeat.

Very nice gun, accurate and nice trigger. Just be aware you may have to try several different makes of magazines to find what works well and doesn't jam. 9mm in a 1911 platform is known to jam quite freqently. A friend started with Wilson Combat, then tried Metalform and finally got Tripp which have so far worked flawlessly. Mine wouldn't run with the Wilsons, the Metalform wouldn't fall free and I too, have had success so far with the Tripp. Others have had different results. It depends on the gun.

I am that "friend" who suffered through magazine hell! The Wilson Combat 10 round mags would not feed 10 rounds. Metalform 10 round mags would not feed 10 rounds. I had to go with Metalform 9 round mags in order to avoid jams and miss feeds. I'm a firm believer in 10 round magazines being able to feed 10 rounds flawlessly. Dan S lent me a few 9 round mags that he had configured to hold 10. They worked but the slide would not slide back after firing 10 rounds. Joe D let me borrow his Tripp Research 10 round magazines and they were flawless. I am now able to enjoy shooting my handsome S&W Pro Series 1911. Don't waste your time or money in search of a consistent magazine for the S&W. From my experience, it is the Tripp! Tripp Research took the time and effort into developing a 10 round magazine that works consistently and flawlessly in the 9mm S&W.
Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom