• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone own a Taurus PT-92?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Taurus makes a 92FS clone call PT-92. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this pistol.

I used to have a 92FS which I liked a lot because of its reliability, and am wondering if the PT-92 has any issues.

I bought one way back in 89-90 when I was living in the great northwest. Had it for approx ten yrs with zero issues and then gifted it to my dad. Also preferred it over the Beretta because I hate their slide mounted safety that goes up.

Depending on the cost I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one from that era.

Buddy had one, shot it a few times. No issues. I’d buy one if it was cheap just for the novelty

Oh ffs the second "is this cheep ass 3rd world manufactured Taurus as good as a real gun" thread in 2 days.

Jesus. It's made in f***ing Brazil. Of course many of them have issues. You may get lucky and get a good one......but maybe not.

Oh ffs the second "is this cheep ass 3rd world manufactured Taurus as good as a real gun" thread in 2 days.

Jesus. It's made in f***ing Brazil. Of course many if them have issues. You may get lucky and get q good one......but maybe not.

So don't ask about this then? 😢

YC9-YEET.jpg

I have a friend with a pt92 and another with a pt99. The 99 has target sights. Both are great shooters. I know Taurus does t have a great rep but these models seem solid. They are made on beretta tooling, and they put the safety in the correct spot.

Slide mounted safeties are even gayer than safeties in general.

Jesus. It's made in f***ing Brazil. Of course many of them have issues. You may get lucky and get a good one......but maybe not.
If you don't have anything useful to add to the topic then STFU and go whack off, whacko.

OP, the PT92 is good to go. Practice with the DA trigger and once you have it down it's a solid design and an improvement over the Beretta.

If you don't have anything useful to add to the topic then STFU and go whack off, whacko.

OP, the PT92 is good to go. Practice with the DA trigger and once you have it down it's a solid design and an improvement over the Beretta.
Wawhat? Oh I get it....because my opinion is opposite of yours it's not useful? That's rich 😂

Wawhat? Oh I get it....because my opinion is opposite of yours it's not useful? That's rich 😂
OP asked if people have had any experience with the PT92 as he seems interested in them. I do have experience with them, you don't seem to, yet you have an opinion based on nothing but feelings.

Either nut up or shut up.

Got an 80's one, older ones are basically beretta 92's

History and creation​

In 1974, a large contract for the Beretta 92 was issued by the Brazilian army, for which Beretta set up a factory in São Paulo, Brazil. This factory was later sold to the Brazilian gunmaker Taurus (Forjas Taurus S/A) in 1980, after the contract had expired. Shortly thereafter, Taurus closed down the factory and transferred the original Beretta machinery to its factory in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, using it to make its own pistol, which was a copy of the original Beretta 92 design, no longer being produced in Brazil. They did this without the need for a license and they also did not have to pay royalties, as the designs and patents had since expired.[1]

Never had a single problem with mine. Cant speak to any made after taurus "engineers" started changing things tho.

OP asked if people have had any experience with the PT92 as he seems interested in them. I do have experience with them, you don't seem to, yet you have an opinion based on nothing but feelings.

Either nut up or shut up.
I posted my experience in watching one fall apart shooting 2 cylinders thru it on the guys first trip to the range with it.

That's all I needed to see.

But skinflints will skinflint.

I didn't like the safety on the 92fs either, it went the 'wrong' way, for us 1911 fans.

I'm not gonna go that far

I had both at the same time i liked my 92 substantially better

Felt like a better gun all around

Not knocking the pt either but it def felt cheaper and less well made than any of my 92s

I had one back in the mid 80's, an early civilian model with the Euro mag release like in the photo, but with a frame mounted safety and hooked trigger guard.
I didn't really like it all that much, but it was cheap.
Ergonomically, it's a bit large for my hand, however it was reliable and always fired, but the accuracy and trigger pull sucked.
My biggest gripe was the loose chamber dimensions and unsupported ramp area in the barrel, which bulged the brass horribly.
Since I began reloading shortly after buying it, I quickly discovered that it would ruin the brass, since I couldn't resize it low enough in the case head area to fully get the bulge out, so I dumped it for something else.

wm_8505669.jpg

Last edited:
Taurus makes a 92FS clone call PT-92. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this pistol.

I used to have a 92FS which I liked a lot because of its reliability, and am wondering if the PT-92 has any issues.

perfect pistol for the vaccinated. You should buy it.

Don’t.

It’s like the stories I hear from my cop buddies where they show up to a scene with four people dead with jammed guns I’m assuming the other guy didn’t own piece of shit

Seeing as most Tarus "experts" here, have never owned nor fired one (but heered it on the interweb), my opinion: bought on about 10 years ago, alloy/stainless, and it was a steaming pile of shit! Seriously, could not get it consistently on paper at 30'. Big paper... 24x24". Sent it back and they replaced the barrel. Maybe it missed the rifling step or something, but even a smoothbore would have been more accurate. Dumped it as soon as I got it back.

I've had two. Put a few hundred rounds through one, somewhere around 1000 in the second.

Didn't run into any issues with either of them. Like others, preferred the frame safety over the Beretta. Interchangeability (or lack of) does cut down on some of the aftermarket, though.

I won't laud them as being fantastic, but I've certainly had worse guns that cost more money.

But, my group size, like most folks likely will be, is small. Just like cars. You'll get someone who says they owned some brand and it was terrible. Someone else will say they had the same one, and it was great. 🤷‍♂️

Hard to find someone who has owned...say...a few dozen of them, and can give a wider scope on feedback, than just one or two examples.

Back
Top Bottom