• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Own A Volquartson Pistol ?

EddieZoom

NES Member
Worth the dough ? I've used their parts to mod Ruger Mark pistols with impressive results but lately I find myself looking at their Black Mamba model. I've never seen one much less shot one.

If you're competition shooting, then I think they might be worth it if it's the gun that's holding you back (most times it's not). If not then I don't see all that much being gained outside of cool factor.

If you're competition shooting, then I think they might be worth it if it's the gun that's holding you back (most times it's not). If not then I don't see all that much being gained outside of cool factor.
Started shooting steel challenge last year and I use it as an excuse to break out the rimfire. My Mark II 22/45 works pretty well...it's got Volquartson guts. I do pretty well as is...the fancy gun would likely do nothing...but damn it's cool 😎

If your going to shoot irons the volquartsen fiber optic front sight isn,t compatible with a Dawson for a ruger barrel (volquartsen front sight is held on by 2 screws) The volquartsen fiber optic front sight is wide and more focused toward bullseye shooting (not much light between rear and front sights) a red dot is good to go

If you've already modified Rugers, just purchase the Volquartsen upper and add it to one of your existing guns. That's what I did, especially because I liked the heavier frame on my MkIII and it already had Volquartsen internals. That combo balances very well for bullseye competition.

Worth the dough ? I've used their parts to mod Ruger Mark pistols with impressive results but lately I find myself looking at their Black Mamba model. I've never seen one much less shot one.
you don`t have to be a competitor to use a competition top level class gear, but you need to be realistic of how any other $1k spent moves into a territory of diminishing results.
for a competitor in a competition it provides an edge to remain above - for a hobbiest - well, not too much to even sense.

but it gives a certain amount of satisfaction to see those results, sure. decide for yourself.

If you've already modified Rugers, just purchase the Volquartsen upper and add it to one of your existing guns. That's what I did, especially because I liked the heavier frame on my MkIII and it already had Volquartsen internals. That combo balances very well for bullseye competition.
Interesting...

Started shooting steel challenge last year and I use it as an excuse to break out the rimfire. My Mark II 22/45 works pretty well...it's got Volquartson guts. I do pretty well as is...the fancy gun would likely do nothing...but damn it's cool 😎
Do a good job of fitting the Volquartsen guts and you'll have more accuracy than you can tap into. Full gun for cool factor but don't forget how you look if you don't shoot it well, LOL.

I was going to buy one. Then I realized I didn't need it for steel challenge. I bought a Buckmark instead and replaced all the parts myself.

For something like steel challenge, the Volquartsen won't give you an advantage.

That being said ... they are nice looking guns, accurate, good quality. If you like nice, quality stuff, buy it

Just as accurate, cost me less, I did the work myself. All I have left to do is get bigger grips.

SmartSelect_20211205-125039_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to buy one. Then I realized I didn't need it for steel challenge. I bought a Buckmark instead and replaced all the parts myself.

For something like steel challenge, the Volquartsen won't give you an advantage.

That being said ... they are nice looking guns, accurate, good quality. If you like nice, quality stuff, buy it

Just as accurate, cost me less, I did the work myself. All I have left to do is get bigger grips.

Totally agree. I was getting M times in SC with a stock MKIII Hunter. I decided to build a combo Kraken Lower/VQ Upper as a winter project thinking it might take me a while to put the lower together. That lasted about an hour since I didn't have to do any actual fitting of any components like on a 2011. It was literally dropping in parts. It was nice and easy, but I was expecting something that might take a bit of time and allow me to divvy up the cost over time. Anyway...I just ordered the upper from VQ.

I was shooting my open gun in SC, and sometimes my CO gun, but with the cost and availability of ammo/primers over the last year, I decided to split everything up so now it's open in USPSA, CO in IDPA and .22 in SC. It spreads the pain a little more evenly.

Totally agree. I was getting M times in SC with a stock MKIII Hunter. I decided to build a combo Kraken Lower/VQ Upper as a winter project thinking it might take me a while to put the lower together. That lasted about an hour since I didn't have to do any actual fitting of any components like on a 2011. It was literally dropping in parts. It was nice and easy, but I was expecting something that might take a bit of time and allow me to divvy up the cost over time. Anyway...I just ordered the upper from VQ.

I was shooting my open gun in SC, and sometimes my CO gun, but with the cost and availability of ammo/primers over the last year, I decided to split everything up so now it's open in USPSA, CO in IDPA and .22 in SC. It spreads the pain a little more evenly.
Was worth it for me. I bought the S&W Victory and upgraded it over a number of months with Volquartsen and Tandemcross parts. Reliable and much more fun to shoot than the stock. Acquired the Volquartsen Scorpion at a very reasonable price, so was able to compare head to head. The Scorpion is MORE reliable and better balanced. All in all more fun to shoot. Not sure it would be worth it at full retail price, but hands down better gun. BTW, you may know this already but there are authorized Volquartsen dealers in MA.

I recently picked up a Black Mamba (after a loooong order wait). I also have Ruger Mark II and Mark IV bull barrels that I put the Volquartsen triggers and parts into. Is the Black Mamba worth it? To me, yes, no question. Is it 2x+ as good as a Mark IV with Volq. parts? Probably not to some, but it depends upon your unit of measurement, since as @paul73 pointed out, there are diminishing returns.

I generally agree with all of the comments above, but the lightweight lower with the LLV upper is nice. I mostly shoot slow fire 50'. With regard to getting one in MA, it's model number is LLV and it's on the list.

OP, I am at Braintree frequently and if you want to meet there some evening this week or during the day this weekend, I would be happy to let you try it out--just PM me and we'll set it up.

Back
Top Bottom