Aquiila .22LR ammo

Alex Cannella

NES Member
Has anyone had experience with Aquila .22LR ammo from the CMP?

They advertise two types. Both are SV. One is 1135fps and the other 1200fps.

I shoot bullseye and, like all of us, I'm looking to keep my ammo costs down. I've seen good and bad coments on this 40gr SV ammo with regard to cycling in auto loaders.

I'm looking for a concensus to decide whether I'll try a case.

I know North East Trading carries Aguila. Buy a box or two of the types that interest you and find out if it works in your gun.

I just bought a couple cases to shoot at the Fazio range a MRA. After this weekend Ill let you know how it performed in my 10/22s, P-22, and maybe even my Spike AR upper, if it arrived.

I should have clarified! Semi. Marlin 60, Savage bolt, H&R .22lr Target revolver. It runs pretty close w CCI as far as acuracy. If I am shooting for points it is no contest, CCI. JP

I had bad experience with it. I found the dimensions of the ammo (the rim in particular) were not consistant and that caused problems feeding/jamming in the magazine. I gave away the remiander of the brick to someone at the range. Worked fine in this rifle.

Obviously others have had good experience, so YMMV.

Four Seasons carries it also if you want to try some.

I'm using the CMP Aguila (the cheaper of the two loadings they offer currently) for my Bullseye competition shooting. It cycles fine in my Walther GSP and is plenty accurate for my abilities (270's, with occasional good nights in the 280's). I did some careful bench testing vs. my previous ammo (CCI SV) and found no measurable difference in accuracy. The Eley priming they use has a very odd smell, but I'm getting used to it, and I can overlook the minor annoyance for the $100+ per case savings.

Aquila .22LR

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. I think trying a box or two might be the answer.

I shoot a S&W 41 and it can be finnicky with regards to ammo. I've always used only CCI. I and others on our team who shoot the 41's have even had problems with some lots of CCI.

I shoot a S&W 41 and it can be finnicky with regards to ammo. I've always used only CCI. I and others on our team who shoot the 41's have even had problems with some lots of CCI.

I used to shoot a 41 and found that I needed to keep it very clean to maintain reliability. Minor amounts of residue in the chamber/bolt area would lead to misfires. The Walther I shoot now will go (and has gone) thousands of rounds without a real cleaning and I've never had an alibi with it. That doesn't necessarily make the Walther a better bullseye gun, but the difference was really striking.

Took a couple bricks of the CMP .22LR to the range tonight. Here's a brief range report.

Firearms: Ruger 10/22 w/VQ hammer/trigger kit & Tech Sights, Ruger 10/22-T w/Kidd trigger assembly & Tech Sights.

First, I was pleased with accuracy, in that it's more accurate than I am. I know that's not saying much, but I was consistently shooting 1.5 MOA groups without much trouble (iron sights).

It was noticeably cleaner than the CCI or Remington SV .22LR that I’ve been shooting – the mags didn’t gum up with the white lube the Remington uses, and the lead didn’t rub off all over my fingers when loading like the CCI.

I did have several jams in the 10/22 (I’ll be posting a separate thread later with pics on that subject), but I’m thinking that was due to a combination of a dirty bolt/extractor and dirty mags. The 10/22-T ran smoothly all night.

In conclusion, I’ll take the Federal value packs from Walmart at half the price over this stuff any day of the week, but for the indoor range I shoot at that’s limits ammo to SV only, this stuff works just fine.

Alex, if you happen to be near the MRA or WSC, I’d be happy to share a box, if you want to run one through your firearms before ordering a whole case.

Back
Top Bottom