AR-15 Accu-wedge vs. tensioning takedown pin?

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Brownells lists an adjustable takedown pin that takes out any slack between the upper and lower receiver. (Part number #452-015-105AC.) It's about $24.50 more than an Accu-wedge. Is it worth the extra cash???

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing while browsing around the internet the other night. Has anyone here ever compared the two? Are either of the two even worth it?

I have the JP pin, not worth the money. More of a hassle than its worth. You have to blue loctite it in so it wouldn't loosen up during recoil, but then shims stick to the receiver tabs and have to be knocked out.

Why are you even bothering with putting foreign object into the lower? The play has no effect on accuracy or reliability. What happens if the accuwedge decides to come apart inside the lower?

I use the Accu Wedge in all my AR rifles.
I dont like rifles that feel loose or rattle. It doesnt matter if they are designed that way. I dont like it.
Ive never had an Accu Wedge come loose or even start to wear out .

Last edited:
I have the JP pin, not worth the money. More of a hassle than its worth. You have to blue loctite it in so it wouldn't loosen up during recoil, but then shims stick to the receiver tabs and have to be knocked out.

By the way, I have your AccuWedge somewhere on my desk. You owe me $3.94 plus interest.

It is a no-brainer, it takes whatever rattle there might be out. There were probably more mismatch issues with uppers and lowers back in the day when Aldo invented it. I could not imagine an Accuwedge coming apart since all it does is take up space.

Why are you even bothering with putting foreign object into the lower? The play has no effect on accuracy or reliability. What happens if the accuwedge decides to come apart inside the lower?

-The play is annoying.

-Come apart? What are you shooting, a .50 BMG beltfed upper? [laugh]

Before I got an accu-wedge I used a pencil eraser, did the same thing, although somewhat less elegantly.

-Mike

I used a 1/8" section of boot lace in my M16 when I was on the shooting team to stop the play.

I bought an accuwedge once and had it in one of my rifles. It may be laying around here somewhere (somewhere between my bench, shooting stool, or on a range). I don't really know if I have any play between the two halves. There probably is; I just don't notice it. It would have to be really bad for me to notice it.

I tried an accu wedge in one of my AR's. It actually made the upper and lower fit too tight. I had to press them towards each other to push the take-down pins out. This quickly became a pain in the but. I no longer use the wedge. My opinion is a new complete rifle should not require anything to make the U/L receivers fit tight. If you have mismatched U/L 's that don't fit perfect, or otherwise worn pins or pin holes you may find an accuwedge useful. ( AH! just had a little white spider run across my keyboard! )

An adjustable take-down pin sounds like it may cause undue wear to the pin holes.

I have three ARs and the first two had no play. The third did and the Accu Wedge solved the problem, but not easily. I had to cut a lot of material off of it to get a fit that was tight but also allowed me to assemle the rifle easily. All in all, it was worth the effort because I hate that slop. The advantage of the Accu Wedge is that it is cheap, if you don't like it, dump it. You will only be out $5.

PS One of my uppers was made by Amercan Spirit Arms. It is rather neat, with a charging handle attached to the bolt on the left side of the upper. This allows you to work the bolt while the gun is still on your shoulder. After I had assembled the upper and tried to attach it to the lower, I had a problem; it wouldn't close. Closer inspection revealed that the MFR had left a "lump" in the area where the upper and lower came together, just behind the forward pin. Careful removal of metal from the "lump" allowed the upper and lower to close and provided a nice tight, no wobble fit. Too bad they went out of business.

PS One of my uppers was made by Amercan Spirit Arms. It is rather neat, with a charging handle attached to the bolt on the left side of the upper. This allows you to work the bolt while the gun is still on your shoulder. After I had assembled the upper and tried to attach it to the lower, I had a problem; it wouldn't close. Closer inspection revealed that the MFR had left a "lump" in the area where the upper and lower came together, just behind the forward pin. Careful removal of metal from the "lump" allowed the upper and lower to close and provided a nice tight, no wobble fit. Too bad they went out of business.

Tactical Innovations has a similar style setup except it uses a set screw with a nylon tip on it. I'm considering purchasing one of these lowers for my next build.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/forged-precision-machinedbr-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html

They also have a billet version as well

http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-billet-deluxe-patented-billet-machined-lower-receiver-p-1082.html

Tactical Innovations has a similar style setup except it uses a set screw with a nylon tip on it. I'm considering purchasing one of these lowers for my next build.

http://www.tacticalinc.com/forged-precision-machinedbr-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html

They also have a billet version as well

http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-billet-deluxe-patented-billet-machined-lower-receiver-p-1082.html

I did not really like how the set screw worked... I ended up unscrewing mine and using an accuwedge anyway. The nylon tip did not have enough give in it. They are not bad lowers, but the set screw was more trouble than it is worth in my opinion.

I do like the accu-wedge primarily if there is some play between the upper and lower. When I put my Stag AR together though the upper and lower were a very tight fit and have yet to put one in it. My Colt however does have one in it from the previous owner. I'm not sure if it helps with accuracy or anything but I like having it.

Back
Top Bottom