• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR-15 KABOOM - HSM AMMO

If it truly is the fault of the ammunition, then I feel bad for HSM - they seem like a good outfit. I understand that a KB can happen anytime with any ammo, but from the early indications of this thread, slipping QC may be an issue. HSM has been involved in a ton of group buys across the Internet and it may be an example of "too big too fast". In any case, here's an eye opener...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=354740

I've always thought that either commercially reloaded ammo, or reloads based on "range brass," was a stiff bet on an unknown horse. This report reinforces that bias.

Wow that is scary stuff - like you said atleast nobody was hurt and thanks for the post.

I've always thought that either commercially reloaded ammo, or reloads based on "range brass," was a stiff bet on an unknown horse. This report reinforces that bias.

Nothing wrong with range brass as long you inspect it carefully and know what you are looking for.
Most of my reloads in every caliber are once fired range brass.

I don't use commercial reloads of any type anymore but I have in the past in
.223, 9mm and one bag of 44mag without incident. Now I just make my own and double check everything.

Commercial reloads are fine if the QC is good.

I think one of the problems with rifle reloading en-masse is the case trimming and all the other cruft that comes with reloading rifle cartridges.

Given the artificially inflated prices of new commercial .223 I am very surprised that commercial reloaders aren't making tons of it. My guess is that its more of a pain in the ass than pistol ammo is.

-Mike

Given the artificially inflated prices of new commercial .223 I am very surprised that commercial reloaders aren't making tons of it. My guess is that its more of a pain in the ass than pistol ammo is.

-Mike

It is a pain, compared to pistol ammo, and prices are just coming up to where it's getting worth it.

There's nothing wrong with QUALITY Commercial reloaded (remanufactured) ammunition, if it's done by a professional reloader. The good ones are licensed manufacturers, and that would be a Type 06 FFL.

Screw the pooch on Quality Control, and you'll soon be out of business, especially if it results in a KB.

Nothing wrong with range brass as long you inspect it carefully and know what you are looking for.
Most of my reloads in every caliber are once fired range brass.

I don't use commercial reloads of any type anymore but I have in the past in
.223, 9mm and one bag of 44mag without incident. Now I just make my own and double check everything.

If you know that it is "once fired," I take that to you you watched the guy load factory from a box and then shoot it; I wouldn't really call that "range brass." To me, "range brass" is the stuff lying on the ground when you got there, the heritage of which is a mystery.

If you know that it is "once fired," I take that to you you watched the guy load factory from a box and then shoot it; I wouldn't really call that "range brass." To me, "range brass" is the stuff lying on the ground when you got there, the heritage of which is a mystery.

I know what you're saying and agree. I do ask sometimes if shooters are going to reload their brass and if not whether I can pick it up after they are done shooting.

On military caliber rifle brass I look for the military crimp to be still intact. I've not yet heard of any reloaders that have or use a crimping machine for reloads so I think its a safe bet along with other points of inspection to use the stuff.
I find lots of it on the range and use it. If its non crimped commercial stuff, I give it alot more scrutiny when inspecting it and toss anything of doubtful condition into a scrap bucket.

1) Your point about an intact military crimp testifying to once-fired status is valid. However, my rule is I don't reload unless I put it on the ground or saw someone else put it there from a factory load. My rule may be a bit overly conservative, but brass isn't expensive enough to take chances that can be avoided.

2) Judging solely by the photos at the front of this thread (admittedly, a bit of speculation), this failure had one of three possible causes:

A) The round discharged before the bolt locked and the case separated at the web because it was obturated at the neck and unsupported at the rear; or

B) The case was manufacturered with a bubble or like defect near the web; or

C) The case had been fired and reloaded enough times to develop a work hardening crack just above the web.

Note that the failure point appears close to the point where a sizing die stops working (because of the depth of the shell holder).

Possible Cause A is immaterial for this discussion.

Possible Cause B is troubling, but in the absence of the ability to UT every case, it isn't something we can detect before reloading. On the other hand, such a case probably won't survive its first firing, so reloading it is a moot point.

Possible Cause C is avoided by my rule.

Back
Top Bottom