AR 15 SDM DIY project, Part One- The Lower

I like my M4gery but it is not a target rifle and all of my target rifles are high power (.270 and up). So I decided to build my own AR 15 target rifle (poorly timed I know with Obamamania sweeping the nation) with a White Oak SDM barrel (props to them for picking up the phone and sending a spreadsheet with a DIY pricing and parts list) and a DPMS lower and DPMS lower parts kit. I haven't picked out the rest of my parts yet, and I am sure to ask you all for advice when the time comes (can't wait for the iron or glass debate...[smile]), but right now I need a brain dump on the lower.

• Can I build the lower without the buffer tube? (I think so based on my M4gery but I want to verify since I haven't picked out the stock yet)
  • Are there any gotcha's that one who has never stripped/rebuilt an AR lower needs to know.
  • Any resources on AR lower assembly since the DPMS kit does not come with an instruction booklet? (Yeah, I know, instructions are for wusses but humor me).
  • Is there anything not in the DPMS parts pack that I will need? (it seems real complete but I would be stupid not to ask)

Last edited:
ar target rifle

Brownells has videos on they're sight on all aspects of building your own. If you are serious about using it for target, start looking for another trigger now! The factory Dpms trigger is reliable, but poor. You may as well install a good trigger instead of that one.
I googled jewell for a while, and finally ran into a bargain on an adjustable trigger right before everyone went crazy for ARs.

Brownells has videos on they're sight on all aspects of building your own. If you are serious about using it for target, start looking for another trigger now! The factory Dpms trigger is reliable, but poor. You may as well install a good trigger instead of that one.
I googled jewell for a while, and finally ran into a bargain on an adjustable trigger right before everyone went crazy for ARs.

Yeah, I was looking at timeney triggers. I have one for my Rem 700. Thanks, I will head on over to brownells and check those out.

Hi, You can assemble most of the lower without having to attach a stock and buffer tube. The rear take down pin detent and spring get held on by the stock, so that will be the only things that need to wait.

AR15.com in the build it "yourself" section of the forums has easy to follow write-ups with pictures for assembling lowers (and uppers).
It also has pictures of the parts laid out so you can figure out what springs and pins go where as some of them look similar.

I just assembled a lower using a DPMS parts kit. All the parts were in spec and fit properly.

Be patient and take your time to avoid marking up/damaging your receiver and launching detents and springs all over the room.

As far as the triggers go, I have 3 ARs all with different triggers (FCG) I have a DPMS, a Accuracy speaks and a Jewell. The accuracy speaks is head and shoulders above the DPMS and the Jewell is in a class of its own.

Is the Accuracy Speaks 1 stage or 2 stage? I want to eventually get a really top notch FCG for my carbine.

Single stage.
I just went to get a link for You and found another example of why your C&R license is your friend. The trigger retails for $246. With C&R $185.

ETA, That's not bad. IIRC, I paid around $175 a couple of years ago.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...itle=AR-15 DROP-IN COMPETITION TRIGGER SYSTEM

What's the difference between stage 1 & stage 2?

Single stage has no take up, two stage does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom