AR in x39?

The next fun part is the adjustable gas block. The adjustment screw is very loose and I’m not sure how I can lock it in place when shooting without using red loctite or rockset. Which defeats the “adjustable” purpose 😂

Steve had some Wojtek Weaponry adjustable gas blocks at the shop which are click adjustable (ball and detent) and also use a set screw which should be much more secure and easy to adjust.

Think I’ll just swing by and grab one of those.

The next fun part is the adjustable gas block. The adjustment screw is very loose and I’m not sure how I can lock it in place when shooting without using red loctite or rockset. Which defeats the “adjustable” purpose 😂

Steve had some Wojtek Weaponry adjustable gas blocks at the shop which are click adjustable (ball and detent) and also use a set screw which should be much more secure and easy to adjust.

Think I’ll just swing by and grab one of those.
Installed the adjustable gas block and got it dialed in at the range yesterday. It’s cycled with only a quarter turn from the fully closed position. It still feels a little snappy but I do have a much lighter profile barrel installed now so there should be more felt recoil I guess.
The diamondback barrel is just as accurate as the Bear Creek

Got my upper together last week or so

IMG_20220819_162449.jpg

Sharps bros upper receiver
Sharps bros handguard
Superlative arms adjustable gas block
Surefire warcomp
Bootleg inc gas tube
Jabob grey customs heavy barrel
WMD NIb-x bolt

(EDIT)Aim surplus np3 bcg(EDIT)

With back up parts from black rifle arms
Bolt
Firing pin
Extractor
Etc

Last edited:
Got my upper together last week or so

View attachment 654868

Sharps bros upper receiver
Sharps bros handguard
Superlative arms adjustable gas block
Surefire warcomp
Bootleg inc gas tube
Jabob grey customs heavy barrel
WMD NIb-x BCG
With back up parts from black rifle arms
Definitely a heavy rig which will be great for recoil and bench shooting.
My BCA 10.5" heavy barrel was heavy, can only imagine a 16" setup.

I’ll bet it’s much softer shooting than my rig though.

Let us know how the SA gas block works out. I’m really digging the wojtek gas block on mine.

Definitely a heavy rig which will be great for recoil and bench shooting.
My BCA 10.5" heavy barrel was heavy, can only imagine a 16" setup.

I’ll bet it’s much softer shooting than my rig though.

Let us know how the SA gas block works out. I’m really digging the wojtek gas block on mine.
Will do.
Im half deciding on an optics setup for it right now.
But probably wont get it for another month or so.
Working a .308 project as well.

Freakin awesome upper my man! That adjustable gas block is exactly what the AR39 needed. Love the matching receiver and handguard.
Yup. Seems like most if not all x39 uppers are overgassed so the adjustable gas block is the way to go.

I’d love a WMD NiB carrier but I got the damn side charger 😂
I got the WMD bolt but the carrier would look nice and make it easier to clean.
May have to see if I can send it off to get NiB or hard chrome

I’d love a WMD NiB carrier but I got the damn side charger 😂
I got the WMD bolt but the carrier would look nice and make it easier to clean.
May have to see if I can send it off to get NiB or hard chrome
Pretty sure you could still do it.
Just gotta transfer the cam pin.

I eanted to do it at first. But didnt want to drop $300+ on the upper.

Could always do the devil dog concepts option like i have done as well

finally got it out to shoot today.
Got the gas dialed in all sorts of nice shooting it out between 4 and 430
Had light primer strike issues. Evne with the black rifle arms enhanced firing pin and enhanced hammer spring. Installed that spring onto the echo trigger.
Ammo was a mix of tula,wolf and red army standard steel. Loaded them into the next mag and they fired.
Maybe ill just buy brass from now on and hope for the best.
Or hunt down for a specific trigger group and get its owner lower for the setup.

2nd issue was intermittent. So im looking for ideas besides my own.
meaning sometimes it would happen and sometimes it wouldnt.
I used the same mag the whole day (shouldve tried another)
but it wouldnt come past the bolt catch.

Id fire, itd eject properly(4-430) but wouldnt load the next round.
Id have to hit the bolt catch to lad the next round, itd fire normally and cycle normally then the next round would do the same as the first.

My brain thinks maybe faulty mag but doubt it.
The second option is I need a stronger buffer or buffer spring.

What do y'all think>

finally got it out to shoot today.
Got the gas dialed in all sorts of nice shooting it out between 4 and 430
Had light primer strike issues. Evne with the black rifle arms enhanced firing pin and enhanced hammer spring. Installed that spring onto the echo trigger.
Ammo was a mix of tula,wolf and red army standard steel. Loaded them into the next mag and they fired.
Maybe ill just buy brass from now on and hope for the best.
Or hunt down for a specific trigger group and get its owner lower for the setup.

2nd issue was intermittent. So im looking for ideas besides my own.
meaning sometimes it would happen and sometimes it wouldnt.
I used the same mag the whole day (shouldve tried another)
but it wouldnt come past the bolt catch.

Id fire, itd eject properly(4-430) but wouldnt load the next round.
Id have to hit the bolt catch to lad the next round, itd fire normally and cycle normally then the next round would do the same as the first.

My brain thinks maybe faulty mag but doubt it.
The second option is I need a stronger buffer or buffer spring.

What do y'all think>
I started getting light strikes with my rise armament trigger and they sent me a heavier hammer spring which seemed to solve it. I also have an extended firing pin.

Not chambering the next round sounds like a gas block and/or buffer issue? When I was dialing in the gas on mine, it did that until I opened it up a bit more. Especially since your using different brands of ammo which might have variances in pressure etc.
I swear by the @WojtekWeaponry adjustable gas block. His has a set screw to lock it in place.

What brand of mags? C products duramags are the best and all I use. Aside from breaking extractors my AR39 has been damn near flawless.

Also as a FYI make sure to keep the chamber clean. These guns run real dirty and I find if I use an AR 308 chamber brush every couple range trips, it helps make it run smoother.

I started getting light strikes with my rise armament trigger and they sent me a heavier hammer spring which seemed to solve it. I also have an extended firing pin.

Not chambering the next round sounds like a gas block and/or buffer issue? When I was dialing in the gas on mine, it did that until I opened it up a bit more. Especially since your using different brands of ammo which might have variances in pressure etc.
I swear by the @WojtekWeaponry adjustable gas block. His has a set screw to lock it in place.

What brand of mags? C products duramags are the best and all I use. Aside from breaking extractors my AR39 has been damn near flawless.

Also as a FYI make sure to keep the chamber clean. These guns run real dirty and I find if I use an AR 308 chamber brush every couple range trips, it helps make it run smoother.
Huzzah!

Duramag
My adjustable gas block is a double set screw. Barrel came dimpled for 1
He's referring to the adjustment screw lock,not the attachment screws.

My infinite adjustment blocks have a side locking screw. My click adjustable blocks have the detent mechanism retained under a screw up top so the block is fully user serviceable.

Duramag
My adjustable gas block is a double set screw. Barrel came dimpled for 1
As stated above, his gas blocks have a set screw for the gas block adjustment screw. This ensures that the setting you adjust it to, will stay put and not walk in or out during recoil, from heat etc

TLDR: Issues solved. Issue is combination of loose bad lever, ambi mag drop lever choice and a bit of magazine design picture and diag below.

Went to diag it today. Brought along my new .223 wylde lower. Re-verified issue where bolt stays open after shot intermittently.
Swapped out Cmmg buffer spring for the geislee super 42 buffer spring into the purple lower. Issue still there. Swapped out odin works adjustable buffer for DPM adjustable buffer issue still present.

Reassembled both lowers to original configuration.
Tried 7.62x39 upper on .223 wylde lower.
Fired and ejected and reloaded perfectly for 10 rounds.

Started to wonder why i never had any of these issues on the (purple) .223/5.56 before.
Started to inspect lower differences at home. As well as magazine differences.

Magpul .223 magazine has stoping point that meets lower so the magazine cannot move further up once seated.
Duramag 7.62x39 magazine is straight walled without stopping contact point on magazine.

Allowing it to be pushed up and past magazine retention point
Circled in Red
IMG_20220917_170351.jpg

Due to that difference and the interference between the magpul bad lever and the ambi mag release that caused the bolt to get snag on the bolt catch after each round.

So when choosing equiptment and accesories be mindful of how they line up with each other.
As a side note, ditch the bad lever and get the Phase 5 unit if you want bad lever type controls.

Its out of the way more and has tons less slop.
0917221707.jpg

I have a video comparision of the slop if anyone wants it.

Yes, i expected to get flammed in numerous ways for this
Also yes, I do plan on having the purple gun properly cerakoted at one point. Its on the list.

Bonus picture. Trigger pin started to walk out as well after firing 7.62x39
0917221656.jpg

Sent my bear creek arsenal side charging BCG to Accurate Plating and Weaponry to be polished chrome. Received it today.
Figured it would give it a cool look and make it easier to clean. Wow did they do a great job! Love hard chromeIMG_2156.jpegIMG_2157.jpegIMG_2158.jpeg

Sent my bear creek arsenal side charging BCG to Accurate Plating and Weaponry to be polished chrome. Received it today.
Figured it would give it a cool look and make it easier to clean. Wow did they do a great job! Love hard chromeView attachment 761948View attachment 761949View attachment 761950
Finally had a short window to test it out while the wife was doing errands with the baby. Only shot 50 rounds of PPU but was glad to see the fouling just wipe right off. Only part that needed a light scrub was the very end of the bolt closest to the gas port. But otherwise just wiped off.
Time will tell to see how it holds up.
And that PPU ammo is just as dirty as the Igman. Leaves a ton of yellow granules and bits of purple sealant behind. But it shoots well so. IMG_2436.jpegIMG_2437.jpegIMG_2438.jpeg

Figured it would give it a cool look and make it easier to clean. Wow did they do a great job! Love hard chromeView attachment 761948View attachment 761949View attachment 761950
Shot another 105 rounds (boxes of 15 rounds) of PPU today and on the 102nd round, I got a failure to extract.
Peek inside the chamber and oof another broken extractor 😂 IMG_2455.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom