AR scope mounts/eye relief??

I got one of those 1.5-4X Leupold Mark AR scopes & need wisdom on mounting it better...

The Mark II 1" IMS doesn't seem to mount it far enough forward for the eye relief (i.e., looking through black dough-nut) , or high enough to not have the front sight post in the way.

Sticking a Mark 2 Rail under that one, atop the flat-top helps with those problems, but then my noggin is up too high for the cheek-weld & flapping in the wind....
Also it seems like the offhand & prone eye positions require different magnifications to work
Is there a more optimum mounting method?

I shoot 3 gun, and use Vortex Cantilever mounts, I'm not sure if they make them in 1" versions. They have a 2 and 3 inch offset. I use the 3 inch offset, since I used to shoot High Power and still get up close to the receiver when prone. Other brands to look at are Warne, they now make a more extended version, JP has mounts as do Burris PEPR mounts. The Vortex has about the best offset, and are reasonably priced.

I use the Burris PEPR mounts and here is a hint, buy it on FleaBay. You'll save atleast half from someone that had it on their safe queen.

I got one of those 1.5-4X Leupold Mark AR scopes & need wisdom on mounting it better...

The Mark II 1" IMS doesn't seem to mount it far enough forward for the eye relief (i.e., looking through black dough-nut) , or high enough to not have the front sight post in the way.

Sticking a Mark 2 Rail under that one, atop the flat-top helps with those problems, but then my noggin is up too high for the cheek-weld & flapping in the wind....
Also it seems like the offhand & prone eye positions require different magnifications to work
Is there a more optimum mounting method?
That scope has almost 4" of eye relief.... I don't think t 1x4 scopes where meant to work or cowittness with the front sights.?
With that set up you should be able to get a nice eye relief with your nose up to the charge handle.

Picture of your set up...

You really should not be sticking the MK II Integral Mount on top of the MKII rail.
The MKII Intergral mount is supposed to bring the center of your optic to approx the center height of your iron sights...

Mounting a scope high enough not to see the sights is as you have seen not good

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom